Names given to children

by the_classicist 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

What I've noticed, is that there seems to be a lot of recent JW parents who make sure to name their kids by some Hebrew/Biblical name. So now you have kids running around w/names like Ezekiel, Reuben, Isaiah, etc. There were also a few strange names that I'm sure some of these kids would've been made fun of because of it.

Have any of you noticed this? Is this practice encouraged by the WT?

• under74
    under74

wasn't it always like that? I grew up with kids named Zipporah, Ezekial, Rebekah, Abraham and so on...

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Y'know the generation I grew up with had names more in line with one's ethnic background rather than biblical names, so I always found it surprising.

• under74
    under74
    ...the generation I grew up with had names more in line with one's ethnic background...

Well, that's true for me too...but of the JW kids I came up with I knew quite a few with biblical names.

• clementine
    clementine

yes in my congregations somechildren do have biblical names (Ruth, Lemuel...), but i don't know if the oraganization encourages this... anyway, these are names i've never heard anywhere else!!

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I have a Bible name...but its a bad one.

• Honesty
    Honesty

My odlest son's name is James David but it wasn't choasen due to being a biblical name. I was a real heathen then, anyway. And my youngest son's name is Solomon Nathaniel; Solomon after his grandfather, the Anglicized form of Salaman and Nathaniel from the bible. I was worse than a heathen when he was born; a dub through and through.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Friend of mine named Kane was there when dubs visited - they went on and on with how "he was named after the first murderer" (in front of another friend's kids mind you).

I just love those impromptu honest witnesses to their spirit - we don't need worry about those kids anymore.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

In english speaking countries it's kinda hard to avoid bible names as most of the popular ones could be considered bible names. In recent years most of my relatives who have had kids have avoided bible names deliberately cos they're so common among the JW's.

I have an obscure bible name - Asa. I like it but a lot of people assume I'm a girl before they meet me (a lot of people think that after they see me too. It must be the way I stand) It does get a little tiresome telling people how to spell and pronounce it though.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

In my cong several parents favored giving there kids biblical name.

The worst was Salome for a girl....sheesh.

my sons name is David... a very traditional Jewish name. My husband is Jewish and I think it's a beautiful name.

Dragonlady76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit