Will the average age of Witnesses go up with time?

by JH 27 Replies latest jw friends

• inquirer
    inquirer

crownboy --

Yes, I believe the average age will go up. Not to change the topic but how do you imbed a portion of someone else?s post within your reply?
    First, you highlight the post you want to copy, right click and copy it. After that you paste the text to the post window (the 5th button from the left on the top row of icons. To the right of the "copy" button). After that, higlight the newly pasted text and hit the "quote" button (the last button to the far right on the top row of icons. The button to the right of the smily face). That ought to do it.

As far as the topic goes, the average age will continue to go up if the JW's don't change their doctrines. However, I think that when the "old guard" at Bethel passes away, you'll probably see a loosening of rules and a more liberal religious atmosphere. It's either that or a slow death, and I think the JW's will choose compromise over death.

inquirer -- The Jehovah's Witnesses are a dying breed. They will never, ever, ever change their doctrines.... they fade away... Which is not a good thing. I always remember that Queen song "It's better to burn out than to fade away," because it looks more depressing. But heaps of people say this phrase. :D

• JT
    JT

What 1975 failure??? Can you show me a WT publication that specificately stated that the end of the world will come in 1975??? No half quotes, no headlines that say nothing conclusive. Just a WT article that states that in 1975 the world will end. I haven't found one

#####

you will not find one the wt has NEVER specificately stated that the end of the world will come in 1975 , it was the result of talks by CO, DO and bethel speakers all around the world based on lots of speculation in various publications dealing with the year 1975

i think the first ref to 1975 comes from a talk by Fred franz when he released a publication during a district convention-

if you are looking for a direct quote there are none, but if you would like to see where this idea came from there are tons of ref on the net

at first the wt blamed OVER ZEALOUS JW A FOR coming up with this idea that 1975 had some powerful meaning

but around 1988 i think -- the wt conceded that they were also responsible for building up this 1975 hope in folks

it was funny how they blamed jw for coming up with this idea , which is kinda funny considering that if any jw comes up with NEW DOGMAS/New light , they would be DFEd for apostasy.

yet tons of CO, DO and bethel speakers were never DFed for coming up with such a thing

one CO had this service talk called "STAY LIVE TILL 75"

NOW CAN you imagine a CO giving a service talk called "Celebrating Christmas with your Catholic Parents"

HE WOULD have been shut down after giving it at one congo, the service dept would have had him removed from the road- yet the society let all these traveling men keep up the 75 mindset

in fact my mom was studing in 69 and all the comments were in ref to we only got about 5 yrs left, so while the wt never said it directly they just allowed it to continue uncked

in fact they wrote an article entitled "WHY ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO 1975"

AND IN MY veiw this was thier opportunity to shut down such a teaching , yet they didn't, they could have pulled in the reins on ALL PUBLICH SPEAKER

NOthing was mentioned that to continue would be disloyal or boarder on apostasy, nope they failed to ck all their speakers

sorta like a company that doesn't say "Sexually Harass all the women" yet when they hear of it DO NOTHING TO STOP IT

O YEA you will not be able to find it in their employee hand book that you can sexually harass the women, but the culture that is created says GO FOR IT GUYS

JUST MY TWO

if you were not in a circuit where this took place then you missed the excitement-

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I always remember that Queen song "It's better to burn out than to fade away," because it looks more depressing

Wasn't that was a line out of the song "Rock of Ages" by Def Leppard.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

David2002

A recent study by Kephart and Zellner

One of the major cult-like aspects of the WTBTS is that they do not subject themselves to demographic scrutiny. Elders have been sent letters specifically instructing them not to cooperate with researchers, saying things like, "They can learn all they need to know from our publications."

Therefore, I am given to wonder about your study. Care to cite the exact source?

SNG

• franklin J
    franklin J

...unfortunatley, ignorance transcends the age barrier...

• dostprefer
    dostprefer

Thanks for posting an honest and straightforward question. Its non-combativeness makes one grateful for small mercies.

There is , at least, a 'greying' of congregations in some towns, cities and countries which is in line with local demographics. David 2002 has provided an informative, straight and kindly (which seems to be his style) answer. Others have packed up their troubles in their old kit bags and appended them to this topic. One expects them to do this, what would a forum do without them? Pardon the brashness of a very new newbie! However their (could one call it 'collective'?) memory appears to have drifted irrto a digressive inventiveness. But one allows for this.

Peevish prognostications again have found their way into print. Such 'prophecies are to be avoided as they present a long history of failure. Early in the piece,Balaam found this out, to his cost.

Well, that's MY kit bag and it contains no 'nasties'.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would like to know how recent that Klephart and Zellner report is. An annual review of the number of baptisms versus pioneers indicates that fewer than 80% return these days.

• freedom96
    freedom96

David2002

There is no question that was the leaning of the WTS organization in the late 60's and early 70's. That was taught from stage, talked about in assemblies.

Even one governing body member announced from stage: "You don't hear us talking about 1976, do you??"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit