WTS Official Spin on monthly Awake: 'More emphasis on the Bible!'

by Neo 87 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I remember growing up JW. The Awake was the only thing I liked. The heavy duty biblical stuff (JW-style) was just too hard to understand. I'd rather read a "light" article on some penguin or farming techniques in Brazil than read about the modern-day <fill-in-blank> class. Sure, the info wasn't nearly as good as what you'd see on PBS or the Discovery channel about the same topic, but if I had to read it, it was a lot more tolerable. I'd suspect a lot of JWs and their householders are the same way.

I think this move can only do harm.

• Make it more biblical? That's exactly why I used to like it was that it was less biblical. Fewer JWs will want to read it. Or it will overload them.
    • People need something that's not all bible, all the time. If they don't find it from the witnesses, they might watch real educational programs. This can lead to becoming educated and falling away.
    • Householders don't want to read the heavier biblical stuff. That means less magazines sold & read, less people being duped, declining JW population, repeat downward spiral.
    • The whole magazine pairing issue will be a constant source of confusion. The two have been paired forever.
    • JWs will be less likely to do return visits with just the new Watchtower so it throws the whole 2 week schedule of a magazine route off. Less frequent return visits means it's harder to make a convert.

They may be doing it to cut costs, but it sounds like it will make a huge impact on the JWs by taking away something sentimental. And something that provides variety. It also hurts their preaching work. They've taken away, perhaps to cut costs, but haven't given anybody anything in a way of benefits to them. That means further decline!!!

Maybe the turn is to get away from the crutch. Their ministry has gotten complacent. It's a bunch of zombies walking around offering magazines and sometimes a book, week, after week, after week. Many of them don't even read the magazines and make presentations based on the cover alone. After all, any experienced JW knows what it's about without reading more than the heading. They aren't ready for any hard questions. Maybe this is a slow move to get them more educated on their beliefs and to stop using the magazines as a crutch.

Maybe they will offer books along with Watchtowers instead of Awakes.

The Watchtower may go monthly too. But that means packing a month's worth of Sunday studies into one article, making it even less attractive to any outsider. They may have to go with a larger magazine. Would printing a few more pages in one issue be cheaper than creating to seperate issues?

• Neo
    Neo

This is a translation of the Kingdom Ministry article from Portuguese to English that Observador has provided us. An actual scan of the English edition would be much appreciated.

1 The first issue of Golden Age was published on October 1st, 1919. That magazine became an invaluable tool in the preaching work. Why? Because it was designed especially for the public. The case of Watchtower was different, as it was viewed for many as designed for the "little flock". (Luke 23:32) The publishers react with so much enthusiasm to the new publication that, for a long time, the circulation of Awake! was far greater than that of Watchtower.

2 Awake! magazine was published to show people that the real solution to mankind's problems is the Millennial Kingdom of Christ, which will truly bring about a "golden age" to mankind. In the following decades, several adjustments were made to Golden Age to meet the different requirements of the changing times. In 1937, the name of the magazine was changed to Consolation. In 1946 it became Awake!, name by which is known to this day.

3 Since the beginning, that magazine has greatly contributed to the great witnessing given starting from 1919. (Mat. 24:14) However, due to the urgency of our times, it seems sensible to make further adjustments to Awake!.

4 Millions of people like to read Awake! because it has a captivating way of dealing with an ample variety of subjects of non religious nature. There is no doubt that the majority of those who attend the Memorial are regular readers of Awake!. Nevertheless, one who hopes to be preserved in the "day of Jehovah's wrath" needs to be helped to do more than simply be a regular reader of our publications. - Sop. 2:3; Rev. 14:6,7.

5 In view of that, starting from January 2006, Awake! will start giving more emphasis to the Kingdom of God. It will encourage readers in a more direct way to cling to the Bible for a solution to the problems, and will stress more clearly the biblical explanation of current events. That way, the readers will better understand the current events and perhaps be moved to learn more about Jehovah by what they read. - Zac. 8:23.

6 Awake! will continue to feature articles of general interest. However, it will give more emphasis to the Bible. (1 Tes. 2:13) Since Watchtower contains deep biblical information and Awake! will feature more articles of biblical nature, it doesn't seem necessary to continue to publish Awake! semimonthly. So, starting from the January 2006 issue, Awake! magazine will be published monthly. It will be a considerable simplification in preparation, translation and delivery of our publications.

7 This change will affect about 40% of the languages in which Awake! is published, since in the majority of languages it is already a monthly or quarterly publication. There will be no change in the publication of Watchtower.

8 Publishers will be able to offer the Awake! of the month along with any issue of Watchtower of the same month. Those who prefer calling attention to Awake! will be able to use the same issue during all month without having to change presentation every 15 days, as it is today.

9 Since its first issue, in 1919, the magazine known as Golden Age, Consolation and now Awake! has played an important role in the preaching work. We pray that Jehovah continues to bless the distribution of that magazine in its new form and that it helps even more people of all 'nations, tribes, peoples and tongues' to look to the Kingdom of God as their only hope. - Rev. 7:9

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

the wt just finished spending $100's of millions setting UP these NEW SUPER FAST PRINTING MACHINE'S WORLD WIDE. so they could print more mag's and books. now they cut back ?????????????? sounds like a rudderless ship. with some of the projects they are getting involved in , seems they are just dumping $$$$$$$$$ in the fire. could it be some at bethel are looking to bankrupt the org?????? john

• Will Power
    Will Power
    In view of that, starting from January 2006, Awake! will start giving more emphasis to the Kingdom of God.

Could it be that they are conforming to some kind of stricter criteria? Bible literature status? Is there a certain percentage of production that must be devoted to what they claim as their tax exemption?

Do they have to provide the readers with their actual beliefs instead of beating around the bush & luring with "christian" friendly articles when their inside stuff (not for public viewing) shows their true agenda?

Just another thought on the pile.

wp

• garybuss
    garybuss

They could just print one Watchtower issue a year and it could just say, "Do what we say!".

When you ask, "What do you say?", they'd just reply . . . "We're not telling!".

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab
    In view of that, starting from January 2006, Awake! will start giving more emphasis to the Kingdom of God. It will encourage readers in a more direct way to cling to the Bible for a solution to the problems, and will stress more clearly the biblical explanation of current events.

Observe the pendulum swinging; the Hegellian dialectic at work. With the members of the GB slowly becoming extinct, maybe there's some fear that the JWs as an organization will lose their focus. People have been saying for months, even years, that in order to survive the Organization needs to become more secular. More Awake! This could be a last-ditch attempt to preserve the Society's "spiritual integrity" by reshifting the focus back to the "fire-and-brimestone" approach of the Watchtower. Big mistake.

Someone said that Awake is the least read publication put out by the Organization. The only reason the Watchtower is more read is because of the compulsory Sunday Watchtower Study; the Awake is read more willingly.

We make fun of the Awake, but as a religious publication it's pretty benign. And not much more biased than your evening news. That's the one everyone tries to place. That's the only one people read if the article catches their fancy. Admit it; if you are into astronomy and the Awake has an article on the Hubble Space Telescope, would you read it? If you want to visit Prague, and they have an article on Prague, would you read it? If you've been thinking about repainting your living room, and the Awake has an article on painting, would you read it? Now, who here wonders about Meshibosheth on the plains of Moab and how that factors into our day? Who wants to read an article on Oholiab's journey to Kiriath-jearim and how we should follow in his footsteps?

That magazine became an invaluable tool in the preaching work. Why? Because it was designed especially for the public. The case of Watchtower was different, as it was viewed for many as designed for the "little flock".
    So, if the focus is shifting from the "public," placing magazines with them is no longer a top concern. It's going after the Memorial attendees and securing baptized Witnesses, the modern day "little flock." So they know that their door-to-door approach is a lost cause, and arew aiming to keep the membership that they have. Well the younger generations are leaving, the older generations are dying off. Unless the pendulum swings back, which it probably will, I don't expect there to be a Watchtower society a century from now.
  • Sunspot
    Sunspot

**Someone said that Awake is the least read publication put out by the Organization. The only reason the Watchtower is more read is because of the compulsory Sunday Watchtower Study; the Awake is read more willingly.

Exactly!

When my mags used to come in, I usually read the Awake sometime that day or the next, but I rarely even looked at the WT until I was hunting for it to study. Most of the time I seldom looked at the other articles unless they were particularly eye-catching.

Annie

• observador
    observador
    They could just print one Watchtower issue a year and it could just say, "Do what we say!".

When you ask, "What do you say?", they'd just reply . . . "We're not telling!".

Gary, that was a good one... I can't stop laughing...

Observador.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Reading the KM article caused me to imagine the presentation during the Service Meeting:

• Speaker: "Thank you Brother so-and-so for reading the first paragraph. OK, this is a fill-in-the-blank question . . . The first issue of the Golden Age was published (blank)? OK, little Timmy in the back of the hall". Timmy (listening to his mother whisper the answer five times in his ear): "uh . . . October 1st . . . uh 1919"
    • Speaker: "OK. Another fill-in-the-blank question. . . Awake! magazine was published to show people that the real (blank) to mankinds (blank) is the Millennial Kingdom of (blank)". Let's see, how about young Brother Smith. Brother Smith (thinking how excited he is that he can fulfill his parent's minimum "one comment quota" with a 3 word, no-brainer comment): "Solution, Problems, Christ".
    • Speaker: "True or False, beginning in January 2006, the Awake will will be discontinued? Ok, Sister Know-It-All, right up here in the front" Sister Know-It-All (laughing out loud at the question): "Well, of course this is false. The Awake will continue to be published, however, the Society is being directed to encourage more readers to cling to the Bible for the solution to their problems, so they are wisely reducing the publication from twice to once per month and the Awake will stress more clearly the biblical explanation of current events."

Those brainless questions always made me laugh!

Sorry, just had a major flash-back and thought I would share.

- CF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Nice analysis, Neo.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit