Ozzie's Weekend poll #121 - Late for the meeting?

by ozziepost 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

How's it going this fair weekend with you? Catching your breath after a hectic week? Well, take the opportunity of taking a break with a good drink, (a shiraz is best!), and reminisce with us on this question:

What did you do if you arrived at the meeting late?

1. Walked in looking at your watch.

2. Left your bag in the lobby, pretending you'd been there all the time!

3. Slunk in and sat in the back row.

4. Slammed the door and marched right to the front row.

5. Went to the restrooms.

6. Joined the elders who were talking at the back.

7. Offered a comment from the back so no-one would notice you were late.

8. Went to the pub!

9. Went home.

10. Other (please detail)

So what did you do? We'll be looking for your replies.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

Freedom means not having to wear a tie.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    4. Slammed the door and marched right to the front row.

Didn't slam the door, but usually the only seats left were at the front row. Why did no-one want to sit there? Right, so they can show off who was late!

9. Went home.

I hated being late, wasn't my style. I like to be early for everything which is very frustrating sometimes.

Kwin

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I hate being late to anything. Growing up in a military family trained me to be on time. The few times I have been late to anything, there was a good reason (sat in the middle...all the seats were already taken in the back and the front 5 rows were empty)

Now other JWs that was a different story (or other people)

1) Brother lives 1 mile away who was late for every meeting

2) Brother HasTheInstructionTalk who always breezes in at the last minute and gives the school overseer apoplexy

3) Sister NeverOnTime who is the householder that night for Sister Punctual and they have to rehearse in the back room while the meeting is in progress

4) 40 brothers and sisters who always come as the clock tolls 9:30 am or 7:30 pm. On Sunday, the chairman has to explain to the visiting speaker why no one is at the meeting at 9:25

5) The brothers and sisters who walk in late at the circuit assembly and complain that there aren't any seats

6) The JWs that leave during the last 10 minutes of the talk at the DC to get to their car and out of the parking before the thundering herd; to get into the pool and out to the restaurants before the rest.

km 5/99 p. 3 1999 "God?s Prophetic Word" District Conventions ***

By attending each convention day from opening song to concluding prayer, we demonstrate to Jehovah that we value his words to us

km 5/91 p. 4 Arrange Now to Attend the 1991 "Lovers of Freedom" District Convention ***

District conventions afford us a unique opportunity to be united with thousands of our brothers and sisters in praising Jehovah in both song and prayer. However, some have shown a lack of respect for these important parts of our worship. How? By unnecessarily arriving at the convention during or after the opening song and prayer. At the conclusion of the program, some leave their seats during the song or before the prayer. On rare occasions there may be good reason for doing this. However, is proper respect and appreciation being shown for Jehovah?s table if some give up the opportunity to sing and pray unitedly just so they can get an early start to their cars or to eat?

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hi Ozzie!

I wasn't late usually. If I did run late, I tried not to disturb the others so I tried getting a seat near the back. I have however used #5 and blended into #6 once when the CO was visiting and I was late.

CC

• gumby
    gumby

I always showed up late cuz I hated it when they all said the pledge of allegiance....so I came in late.

km 5/99 p. 3 1999 "God?s Prophetic Word" District Conventions ***

By attending each convention day from opening song to concluding prayer, we demonstrate to Jehovah that we value his words to us

I guess all the brothers and sisters in Mexico do not value Jehovah's words one bit. Go to a meeting there or an assembly and see how many show up at whatever time they feel like it. It's NORMAL for them to be late.

Me....I was rarely late as I was the conductor for many parts, so I couldn't be late. My wife and I was always one of the first families to arrive at meetings.

Gumbragger

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    My wife and I was always one of the first families to arrive at meetings.

Mrs Ozzie offers sympathies to Mrs Gumbles!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    I guess all the brothers and sisters in Mexico do not value Jehovah's words one bit. Go to a meeting there or an assembly and see how many show up at whatever time they feel like it. It's NORMAL for them to be late.

Hey Gumby, maybe this has something to do with all the years they were a "cultural group" and didn't say a prayers at the meetings.

Kwin

• gumby
    gumby
    Mrs Ozzie offers sympathies to Mrs Gumbles!

Ozbastard........your little Mrs. has a point. Think of how bored all the elders wifes were who had to get there early when there was nobody really to talk to. Those poor women had to many times WAIT for their elder husbands to take care of buisness before and after meetings. For those poor women who didn't have a car of their own or a ride home....they also had to wait somewhere for their hubbies in a backroom/library meeting.

I say we all give a big salute to all the exdub women who suffered in this way for not running off with some good-lookin rich bastard.

SA.......LUTE!

Gumby

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Toward the end when I was drifting away, I made it a point to arrive just after the meeting began and then I left as soon as it was over. This kept me from having to make "theocratic Jehover talk" with all of the dubies.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Sister NeverOnTime

Blondie, I did'nt know you knew me , but most of the time I had a good excuse.

but then, I always had to walk to the spare seats they did left open for me /us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit