LIES in Current Watchtower!

by Eusebius Hieronymus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Eusebius Hieronymus
    Eusebius Hieronymus

After posting on the Maximus Nourishment for the Spirit thread about Elaine Pagel's "The Origin of Satan" and "Adam, Eve, and the Serpent," I check my mail and find the Watchtower for August 15, and a QFR (whole page) answering the question, "For how long a period of time did Job suffer."

They say "Job's suffering and its resolution may have occurred within a few months, perhaps less than a year." Blah, blah, tribulation momentary and light, blah, blah, Christ will himself finish your training. What is the point of all this? Your suffering will be over SOON NOW?

They cite the New World Translation: "Now it came to be _the day_ when Job's sons and daughters ..." From this literalism they conclude: "It seems that all of this [suffering of loss] occurred on one day."

GOOD GOD! What do they do with the Genesis "day" in which God created the heavens and the earth? Make it literal again too??

The NRSV accurately says: "One day when ..." No kidding! Anyone have access to other translations?

What is the deal here? What are they trying to say? Having read some scholarly works on Job, including the Jerome Bible Handbook, I feel like I am reading a child's paraphrase hardly at high school level. A whole QFR? In 23 million issues???

Royally pissed at that one, I look at the main article, what seems to be a nice backgrounder on Abraham, man of faith. Sprinkled with gems about the Near East time period. "Upbuilding."

Then we get this horse manure: "We may have opposition from unbelieving family members, including disfellowshipped relatives, who might try to lure us into unwholesome association. Abram thus set a fine example for us. He put friendship with Jehovah ahead of everything--even family ties. He did not know exactly how, when, or where God's promises would be fulfilled. Still, he was willing to stake his life on those promises." Page 16.

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

Doesn't the Public Information spin doctor office say that disfellowhipping does not sever ties? Bet you the hardnosers in the field will quote this Watchtower chapter and verse!

After the body parts and racial wars, does anybody have any energy left to discuss these points? I'm just going to start the thread. Have got lots more reading to do.

Mad as hell,

Jerry

• nelly136
    nelly136

yes it does say that Jerry

from the official http://www.jw-media.org
    listed under the FAQ section

Do you shun former members?
    Those who simply cease to be involved in the faith are not shunned. In compliance with the Scriptures, however, members can be expelled for serious unchristian conduct, such as stealing, drunkenness, or adultery, if they do not repent and cease such actions. Disfellowshipping does not sever family ties. Disfellowshipped members may continue to attend religious services, and if they wish, they may receive pastoral visits. They are always welcome to return to the faith.—1 Corinthians 5:11-13.

nelly

• BERNARD
    BERNARD

Im with you 101% I disassociated myself two years ago my wife still attends the meeting with my kids in fact there with my mother in law at her convention taking in more baloney. All my in laws that are jehovah's cronies don't speak to me, they act like its my fault, that I BROKE FAMILY ties those are your watchtower rules I did not make them up.Get this, when I finally spoke to my in laws that were not jehovah witnesses they did not know they were not speaking to me. my wife and her mother dearest were covering it up. wow if the society said the sky was green and tan the witnesses would respond AMEN ain't that the truth.

THE REAL TRUTH STANDS THE TEST OF TIME IT, WILL NOT CHANGE, IF IT DOES ITS A LIE.The sun will rise, The sun will set,AN EXAMPLE of The real TRUTH nobody can change.

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Yes this LIE irks me big time!!!

How many times they will twist the words to give a wholesome, balanced image. They are the total opposite of that image.

So they say that df'd relatives "might lure us into unwholesome association". Just how "unwholesome" is a devoted father and husband who works hard for a living, doesn't drink, steal, participate in revelries, murder, commit adultery, abuse his wife or daughter and treats his mother (me) with the utmost respect and affection?

Yet his father and our daughter and my family still avoid my da'd son saying its up to him to "clean up his life"???? HE'S the one in the wrong and HE'S the one who's causing this family rift. Give me a break!!!!

I know they're caught up in the WT propaganda. My brother and his family are typical examples of JW's who have conveniently forgotten how much the WTS pushed 1975 and how it affected their job choices and their absurd statements at the door. But when I did once try to talk to my brother about these things bothering me, he quickly fluffed me off by saying I should talk to my elders and they'll help me out.....you bet they will....right out the door!!!!

Surely, as they keep up shovelling this "stuff" in the mags and in talks, that more and more will start smelling how bad it is.

Had Enough

• gsark
    gsark

I have the Jay P Green Sr 1978 Interlinear Translation. And a day came when..Satan went before God, And a day came when...Job lost his belongings. Again a day came...when Satan went before Jehovah again. And Satan went out from before...jehovah and he struck Job. That's how it is worded here.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

'Course, the Living Bible renders Job 1:4,5 this way;

"Every year when each of Job's sons had a birthday, he invited his brothers and sisters to his home for a celebration. On these occasions they would eat and drink with great merriment.
    When these birthday parties ended - and sometimes they lasted several days - Job would summon his children to him and sanctify them .................."

You won't find the Living Bible on the shelves of too many dubs!

. http://jw.escape.to

• Enlighted UK
    Enlighted UK

Funny you should mention that particular scripture:

On Wednesday of this week, my brother ( a former JW) was called on at his place of work by two JWs.

My brother informed them that one point he couldn't understand was why JW's didn't allow birthday celebrations, as Job did. The JW's said that wasn't the case, he didn't celebrate birthdays.

My brother then read the scripture from Job, from their own bible. The JW's said that birthdays are not allowed because it elevants one particular person.

Ok , my brother said, that would include Wedding Anniversaries as well, but you allow them.

The JWs couldn't answer that.

I don't think they will be making a return visit!

Enlighted UK

Enjoy your life, it is the only one you'll have.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

UK,

By reading your post, I can see why your brother still is a former JW.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

This group in the Writing Dept sound as though they are keeping up the Borg's tradition of bizarre interpretations!

Job chapter 1 describes the death of Job's sons and daughters. This is followed by these words: "Afterward it came to be the day when the sons of the true God entered to take their station before Jehovah..."-Job 2:1(NWT)

Another translation renders this as: "On another day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord..."(NIV)

Later, the account in Job relates this:
    "And they (three companions) kept sitting with him on the earth seven days and seven nights, and there was no one speaking a word to him, for they saw that the pain was very great" - Job 2:13

The silly thing about this is that it's so unnecessary for the Writing Dept to make assertions like this QFR. The more assertive the magazine is, the deeper the hole they make for themselves!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Had Enough:

I can sympathise with you. It makes me so damned angry too!

If only the family could see that the Watchtower organisation is not a reliable guide to follow. They have misled followers to their harm. If only! We'll keep hoping and praying.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"So often, the unpolished
    the disjointed
    Is on its way to the truth
    Ahead of the finished
    the polished."

Ken Walsh, Sometimes I Weep

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit