Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie

by Farkel 747 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

Hayden C. Covington, well known WT attorney and associate of Rutherford, made a remark about Rutherford and celibacy, even if it was phrased as a question.

"If your wife was an invalid, what would you have done?"

That says alot, doesn't it? That those close to Rutherford knew what was going on.

From this thread, it is revealed that besides Covington, Knorr also knew!

I cannot find the reference, but the quote was published. Does anyone here recall that Covington quote? and where was it published?

--VM44

edited to add:

Knorr, Rutherford, and Covington

Knorr, Rutherford, and Covington

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Cyberguy,

Perhaps you could provide the names of the elders with whom Berta spoke? at least the ones that have since died.

Do you think the remaining living elder would make a statement? (I know, very slim chance, especially if he wants to remain an elder!, but I have to ask)

It is important to get some names in order to provide additional credibility to the story. Although nothing in error has been pointed out so far.

--VM44

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

VM44....I'm sending it to you now. I had to convert it to a JPG from the original file format.

Also: I just found Alfred L. Peale in the 1920 census. In that year he was a resident of Akron, Summit, Ohio, living with Albert Kuech as his brother-in-law. Bessie Kuech, Albert's wife, was Alfred's sister, and also under the same roof lived Alfred's other sister Mary, Albert's brother John, and Albert's 4-year-old daughter Betty. Both of Alfred's parents were born in Germany, and his occupation in 1920 was also as a machinist.

Still trying to find Berta in the same census, but I'm pretty sure her name wasn't spelled "Berta Teel" or so.....

Edited to add: Yes, if you can find an obit, that would be splendid! Extra info like names of siblings, relatives, maiden names, etc. would be a big break.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Rutherford vs. Berta/Bonnie Study Questions:

With regards to this Rutherford and Berta/Bonnie thread, I have prepared the following study article questions. Please feel free to add more if they are relevant:

1a) Why was Berta Peale accepted into Bethel when in order be there, she had to unscripturally leave her husband?
    1b) Why was she not punished for such spousal abandonment?
    1c) Why was she instantly given one of the most elite jobs to be had when she had virtually no qualifications to have it?

2a) Why did Rutherford as has been documented by what he said and wrote, who had so little regard for women take not one but TWO young women into his closest confidences?
    2b) Why was it a lowly woman who was the ONLY person to see Rutherford?s dictations for his books and articles before they went to proofreading and publication?

3) Why is it so hard to believe that a woman who had told one of her own close relatives many years ago, ?he (Rutherford) was like a husband to me in every way??, would confess to her adultery over thirty years ago at the same age and in the same city she lived before she died? Therefore, what reason is there to believe that this confession was not in fact the confession it was reported to be, even though two eyewitnesses to it are dead?

4) If Berta and Rutherford were intimate but platonic friends, why did not Berta simply say, ?He was like my best friend in every way??, instead of saying, ?He was like a HUSBAND to me in EVERY way?? Doesn?t that latter statement seem more consistent with what she confessed in Long Beach in the early 1970?s, and lend credibility to the story of her confession?

5a) Bethel can be vicious with rumors, it is true. But isn?t it reasonable to give at least some weight to the rumor that Bonnie was ?sleeping? around at Bethel in the 1950?s, considering the extraordinary similarities between her and Berta with the exceptions made for her marriage at Bethel , their meteoric rise into tops positions and their intimate relationship with Rutherford, including the myriad of opportunities for hanky panky while traveling and while at Beth Sarim?

5b) There is at least SOME basis in fact with most rumors. If there is no basis in fact with the ?sleeping around? rumors, then why would people start them? Should they at least be considered in light of the other information we do know about her the purposes of establishing a pattern?

6) Why was William Heath immediately allowed to enter Bethel after she married Bonnie, when any other couple would have been immediately expelled?

7) Why were there so many ?adjoining? rooms between these two women and Rutherford, when it has never been reported that there were any ?adjoining? rooms for Rutherford and the men who worked for him?

8) Rutherford?s wife never came to Bethel. In effect, he abandoned her. The society has said she was an ?invalid? but there is no evidence to support this. Even if it were true, can invalids only live and function in Southern California and not New York?

9) Since Rutherford himself committed unscriptural spousal abandonment, why would it be so hard to believe, he wouldn?t also condone someone else doing it, like he did for Berta? If Rutherford broke the scriptural requirement to ?give the marital due? to his very own wife, why is it unreasonable to think he wouldn?t find a way to justify infidelity to that same wife?

Farkel

• VM44
    VM44

metatraon,

More than one old timer referred to the example of King Saul and 'not touching God's anointed' when speaking about Rutherford's cruelty and scofflaw private behavior.

So everyone is supposed to look away and keep quiet?

I have heard the phrase "not touching God's annoited" used by people trying to defend Benny Hinn!

Actually, it is taken out of context, it does not mean that "the annoited ones" are above accountability, it means you are not to go out and kill God's annointed!

Sheesh! Talk about trying to get special treatment using the Bible!

--VM44

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Farkel,

Thank you for collating that information. As you say, adultery is probably one of Rutherford more forgivable failings. Even his loyal JW colleagues had very little good to say about him. Nobody likes a drunken, abusive bullying tyrant, especially one who extolls the virtues of Christianity.

I once spoke with a JW who was in Brooklyn during the Rutherford years and he told me that Rutherford slept with a stenographer outside his bedroom door. This apparently was so that when visited by a Godly 'flash of light' in the early hours, he could pass this information on for later inclusion in the WTS literature. Now we all know what he meant when he shouted out, "Bow before the Sacred Pole Berthaschazzer'.

It always amuses me when JW's insist on absolute evidence for any negative information shone in their direction by 'apostates', yet the WTS fuels its own hatred of 'apostates' based on innuendo at best, and flagrant deceit at worst.

Physician, heal thyself....

Best regards - HS

• minimus
    minimus

Like I said, I think Da Judge did it too----but I'm sure a JW apologist could give a ton of reasons why and why not things happened or supposedly happened.

• VM44
    VM44

Remember how the Watchtower (I believe in the Proclaimer's book) said that Mary Rutherford died a faithful witness?

You know what "faithful" REALLY means to the Watchtower? That Mary Rutherford KEPT QUIET about what she knew! and I bet she could have provided a lot of information about "da Judge"

Leolaia found some information about Mary Rutherford in the 1930 census that should not be forgotten. Mary was listed in the census as the HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD, and her occupation was listed as NONE! She was about 61 in 1930, which was a depression year. What was her source of income? She was married to Rutherford, but she was the HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD?

Did Rutherford send money to Mary? Did he use Watchtower funds?

If so, that would be one reason Mary Rutherford would have kept quiet.

Malcolm Rutherford, their son, would have known, but he decided to keep quiet his whole life, no interviews, nothing.

There might be a family relation somewhere who knows what the story is, but have to find them.

RR, you said in another thread you know something about this, what do you know? you have to say something! At least PM me!

--VM44

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

unreal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you're good Farkel, well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Harvest "Gleaning!"

I just "gleaned" another little piece of information that passed me by as I try to keep up with this thread. Lady Lee picked it up, and I missed that, too!

AlanF and I have both given accounts about the "hairpin" incident. He said in his original May 23, 2001 comment that "around 1928" Rutherford and his entourage were staying at some hotel. I stated I was told that James Penton had found out the City they was in was in North Carolina. Berta was originally from North Carolina, but Berta didn't come to Bethel until 1938. Therefore, if Alan's date is closer to the actual date, there would be no connection between this "hairpin" incident and Berta. If the date was after 1938, there would be another "coincidence" that's pretty powerful. What is that?

AlanF said with regards to Rutherford: "His room was adjoined by that of his mistress of the moment, another Bible Student lady who doubled as Rutherford's cook. That's EXACTLY the same job Berta had.

Bet they're having a ball with this thread at WT Headquarters, huh? Over a thousand page views in just a little over twelve hours!

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit