Jehovah?s Witnesses seek suit dismissal

by Purza 21 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Purza
    Purza
    In a local paper. . . sickening
    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/pmextra/#link3

Jehovah?s Witnesses seek suit dismissal

The Jehovah?s Witnesses are asking a Superior Court judge to dismiss a lawsuit seeking damages against church authorities and a former official who sexually abused four children in Sonoma County during the 1980s, claiming the church covered up the crime.

Attorneys for the Jehovah?s Witnesses said the acts took place before California law required clergy to report such abuses and that the lawsuit violates the church?s freedom of religion to deal internally with a church member.

But an attorney for the plaintiffs said the church is trying to hide behind the First Amendment. A hearing on the church?s motion has been set Sept. 15 before Judge Robert Boyd.

The lawsuit, filed earlier this year, names two Sonoma County congregations of Jehovah?s Witnesses and the church?s national organization, known as the Watchtower Society. It also names Donald L. Glew, a former church member who was convicted in Sonoma County Superior Court in 1989 of four counts of child molestation.

Glew, now 53, was sentenced to 14 years in prison. He served a portion of the sentence and was released. He couldn?t be located for comment.

The lawsuit alleges that Glew was a church official in Santa Rosa and Petaluma who used his position to gain access to young children of church members. The plaintiffs, four former church members who now are 17 to 25 years old, are identified in the lawsuit only by their first names.

According to the suit, Glew molested them between 1982 and 1988, when they ranged in age from infancy to 5 years. The suit alleges that other church leaders learned Glew was molesting children as early as 1980 but they took no action to stop him.

At the time, Glew was a ?ministerial servant? who counseled church members and supervised the care of Jehovah?s Witness children while their parents proselytized door-to-door, the suit alleges.

Church leaders prevented victims? families from reporting the crimes to police, according to the plaintiffs, telling families they should leave it to the church to handle.

The lawsuit seeks undisclosed damages for sexual battery, fraud, conspiracy, emotional distress and negligence.

In a formal response, the attorneys for the church don?t deny Glew molested the four plaintiffs while he was a member of the church. But they said Glew never held a position of authority in the church and the religious organization isn?t responsible for his crimes.

Steve Hart
    [email protected]

• Valis
  • heathen
    heathen

That is pretty sad . Rather than follow the guide lines in the bible they ignore the public reproof and removal of people that commit such harmful acts they apparently handled this in a very bad way . It is a very sticky situation when things like that happen since they believe the world is evil they can't very well suggest the going to public officials as a viable option but to protect children should be the first priority .

• franklin J
    franklin J

...I have small children...

whichever way this court case goes; I sincerely hope the parents ( mothers and fathers) of these abused children band together and collectively hunt this man Glew down and physically break his arms and legs. I suspect a broken femur for each child affected should suffice. The saying " vengence is mine, says Jehovah " is bull$#%&!

The courts may decide what they like; however; this man should be made to physically suffer for what he has done.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Has Silent Lambs been on top of this one?

And is it possible to move this post to "Child Abuse"?

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

My God--What kind of idiots are these people? Despite the fact that this is morally wrong--don't they know this will be negative publicity for the JW Org? Whatever happened to doing all things for God's glory and not doing anything to bring reproach upon his name? The most decent thing to do is to compensate these victims and apologize for their abuse--that would at least show some decency. They aren't showing one ounce of compassion by pulling something like this. But I suppose then it would appear as if the Org did something wrong and they would never want to admit to that.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Let me see if I got this right:

• Don't go to the authorities, we will take care of it.
    • If you do go to the authorities we will have you shunned and will tell you that you will be killed by god.
    • Oh, and by the way, we are not responsible for anything the molester has done or will do.
  • Country Girl
    Country Girl

This kills me...

......At the time, Glew was a ?ministerial servant? who counseled church members and supervised the care of Jehovah?s Witness children while their parents proselytized door-to-door, the suit alleges.

Church leaders prevented victims? families from reporting the crimes to police, according to the plaintiffs, telling families they should leave it to the church to handle.

The lawsuit seeks undisclosed damages for sexual battery, fraud, conspiracy, emotional distress and negligence.

In a formal response, the attorneys for the church don?t deny Glew molested the four plaintiffs while he was a member of the church. But they said Glew never held a position of authority in the church and the religious organization isn?t responsible for his crimes.

Steve Hart
    [email protected]

Talking out of two sides of their mouths.

Country Girl

• Purza
    Purza
    And is it possible to move this post to "Child Abuse"?

I don't know how to move it.

Purza

• avengers
    avengers
    the religious organization isn?t responsible for his crimes.

This is a cop-out. Even if they're not responsible for his crimes, they're responsible for the welfare of the children.

they said Glew never held a position of authority in the church

Another cop-out. They mean Glew never was an elder or MS. Everyone baptized becomes an "ordained minister" according to
    their own rules.

Andy of the disgusted class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit