Arrangement to Accelerate Building Kingdom Halls

by Socrateswannabe 31 Replies latest jw friends

• under the radar
    under the radar

Did anyone happen to record this streaming event?  Even just audio.  I would love to hear the whole thing from beginning to end.

If anyone has a recording to share, please PM me.  I'd be happy to cover any expenses you may have in sending me a copy.

• Tech49
    Tech49

I want to chime in on this.  Commercial construction is part of what I do.  Typically, in most areas of the country, here in the USA, a commercial building is NOT cheaper to build.  Obviously, costs vary depending on the geographic area.  But here is a quick example:  (stay with me for a minute)

Your average 3 bedroom home in an average income city may cost approx $100.00 per square foot to build.  Materials and labor.  In the same market, a small commercial building of the same size will cost approx $130.00 per square foot.  Materials and labor.

Take away free labor, and your costs will have essentially the same percentage of difference, about 30%.  However, here is a big difference.  The quality and type of construction on the commercial project (esentially a small storefront) dictates and entirely different skillset.  The types of buildings they are wanting to build are not a-typical of your average residential builder (ie. JW Volunteers).  Now, a whole new type of volunteer is needed (hence the new letter outlining the "new" applications needed).  Sorry mom, dad, and kids, we dont need you anymore.  We need "commercial contractor" types.   More and more outsourcing will be required to meet the parameters of the designs.

All of this begs another question... how will these buildings fit in with surroundings?  Look at your local KH.... it is probably built in a residential area, and probably built to mimic the local "look" of a residence, and not stand out and look gaudy.  ( I recall one area we lived, the locals would only allow a new KH to be built if it matched the general "feel" of the surrounding areas... in the end, it looks like a barn!  Big fake barn doors and all!  A very nice barn, mind you, and you would never know it was a KH if you didnt see the small sign off to the side).  Some have even been resold at some point and turned into homes, or small business offices that blend in well with the community. 

Ok, so now we have an all glass and stone/concrete/stucco building.  How in the world is that going to blend in in a neighborhood without looking like a fish out of water?.  Answer:  it wont.  Your KH that works just fine, and blends in just fine, and appears "homey" and "warm" will be sold. 

Sorry for your loss, now lets move on. Your amazing fabulous modern new KH will need to be relocated to a new piece of property that is zoned for either 1. small commercial, or 2. mixed use.  No more residential areas.  The new property costs more per sq ft than a residential area.  It just does, thats the way things work.

I know, I know.... its supposed to be 20% cheaper, right!!!??

Well, of course it is....if you look at it this way:

When it comes time to RESELL the pretty little thing, it will bring more PROFIT than the old Hardi-sided, shingle-roofed, KH in the middle of the subdivision. 

Evidently, more end PROFIT, translates into LESS COST, on paper.   Therefore, no matter what you hear, there is more to the story.  Apparently, Jah likes to play with numbers to make more money!

Anyone feel like you were just at the used car dealership ???

Jack Harper, (Tech49) 

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The biggest growth in the US , well I guess the ONLY growth, is in spanish speaking areas. Those are 3 of your biggest ones right there.

Right. What a scam. I mean the business concept is pretty devious

Combine congos into one hall in the name of efficiency, then sell the unused hall. Then claim new Halls are needed because of growth, Oh what a blessing.  Ok now divide the congregations again to a new hall. Then a few years later, start the process all over again, and combine the congregations again so you can sell.

I'm pretty sure that if the ORG had to actually pay for the construction and maintenance of halls, they would have a ratio of 1 hall: 10 congos, but since the Jdubs have to pay for it, then the sky is the limit.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe
    Tech49, thank you for adding the perspective of someone in the business. Helps to cut through the smokescreen from the meeting last Saturday.
  • sir82
    sir82

Here's what I find interesting: these new buildings aren't going to be "flipped", they are going to occupied by congregations for at least a few years before being sold.

Throw in a few years for this new program to get set up and running smoothly, and you end up with a decade or 2 before the plan is producing consistent & significant profits.

That's a pretty significant about-face. The WTS used to proclaim "the end is coming soon!" and generally displayed a striking lack of forethought or planning on the business side of things, as if they actually believed their own hype.

Today they still preach "the end is coming soon!" but now they have hatched a a 20-year plan to become a real estate conglomerate.

They've gone from covert hypocrisy to blatant hypocrisy, virtually overnight.

• cofty
    cofty
    Thank you Jack Harper, (Tech49) 
  • Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

SIr82: Today they still preach "the end is coming soon!" but now they have hatched a a 20-year plan to become a real estate conglomerate.

And no one makes a peep that during all this, the ownership of the buildings themselves have quietly passed from the local congregation to the WT Society. A total coup without firing a shot!

• Tech49
    Tech49

sir82, I want to respectfully disagree, at least in part, and here's why.

WT does in fact have flipping them in mind, but like you said, at least not right away.  As good real estate investors, they would be foolish not to take advantage of the obvious.  The commercial real estate market is far more stable than the residential market, so when you have structures built to commercial standards (ie. storefront medical office style), it will be far easier and more cost effective to flip later on.  With the economy on the rebound, commercial values will go up at a much higher rate than residential.

Agreed, the hypocrisy is overly blatant!  And that's the reason they dont want anyone "questioning" the elders, or "picking apart" their "plan" for the new LDC arrangement.  Just shut up and get in line!

• sir82
    sir82

I think the misunderstanding is on what "flipping" means. I think "flipping" means buy / build it cheap, fix it up, and sell it immediately for a profit. If you maintain ownership for a period of years, that is not a "flip".

Well, that is what my limited understanding, based on years of being force-fed megadoses of HGTV, tells me!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Will these buildings be zoned churches and if not won't  they will loose the tax exempt status? So if they keep it a church will they have issues of where they can buy and build and will this not effect their ability  to sell the property later as commercial? 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit