Jehovah's Witnesses Seek To Expand Presence In Brooklyn

by Larry 28 Replies latest jw friends

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Hate to be a P.I.A. pestering everyone about this but I really think we could have some effect here.

Remember the letters and emails to the U.N. got them to put a page up. Maybe enough emails to the council would do something ... or we should at least give the loyal opposition some ammunition. Gawd, how I love throwing monkey wrenches in their scummy machinery!

-BONEZZ

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

The last witness I spoke with (or who spoke at me last week) was gushing on about a kid from here who had just gone over to NY to work on a big project there. We are very far from NY and the witnesses here are all under the impression that the society is totally pulling out of NY city area because of the dangers of being there. I don't even think the majority of the witnesses know this big project is going there. For what purpose are they housing all these witnesses if there is no factory for them to work there? The only thing I can think of is that they will build these residenses with free labor and then sell them off in a few years for a huge non-profit organization tax free profit. How do they justify this project as having to do with anything related to the bible education work?

• Odrade
    Odrade

I don't know if an argument against the standing of the allegations of abuse cover-up--as heinous as it is--would be sufficient to get the WTS request to build delayed or dismissed.

I think as a community, though, they might be very interested in hearing the truth about what a black hole this project will create as far as community. Community spirit is nothing to the JWs as WE all know, but they don't. Lack of participation in street fairs, community efforts like fundraisers, neighborhood cleanup efforts, retail. About the only improvement it brings to the area is an increase in restaurant business from visiting JWs. As was mentioned, 2000 people who do not have taxable income, and who will not socialize with their "dead" neighbors...

I think testimony about this would be worthwhile.

Also, I agree with Metatron. I hadn't thought of it like that before, was thinking in terms of them building Dumbo residences, then selling those, but they have all that prime real estate on the Brooklyn Heights promenade and spread all throughout the nicer neighborhoods... what a bonanza if they can get this built, move everyone in, then start selling off buildings like the Towers, Standish, 50 and 54, etc. Smoosh everything down to Dumbo, 90 Sands and the 25 bldg. Free up a LOT of real estate to sell...

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

PING! That's the sound of cyber-sista hitting the nail on the head.

-BONEZZ

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

?Ten years ago you couldn't have imagined it as a place to live, and so we never bought it with the idea that that would be a future use,? Devine said. ?But obviously the area has changed quite a bit. We've seen a real resurgence there.?

Nice to see the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses investing in the future of this 'Wicked System of Things' while it castigates its own adherents for even thinking of putting down 'roots' in this 'old system'. How many live in rented accomodation borrowing money from their relatives to survive who once thought that they would now be living in Paradise. I hope any lurkers who might be reading this thread think very carefully about the implications of listening to the Governing Body before they pay heed to common sense.

HS

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

More info on what we can do to protest the expansion.

85jaystreet.org

http://lambsroar.com/db/index.php?showtopic=1124

Download PDF Letters: Don't have time to compose a letter ... no problem. Download a pdf, print it out and sign it. · Amanda Burden
    · Bill Vinnicombe
    · David Yassky
    · Joan Millman
    · Martin Connor
    · Marty Markowitz
    · Shirley McRae Copy and Paste Click here to go to an HTML page where you can copy a letter so that you may paste it into your own e-mail or text document.

Contacts:

Amanda Burden
    Director
    Department of City Planning
    22 Reade Street
    New York, NY 10007

Mr. Bill Vinnicombe
    Land Use Committee,
    Community Board #2
    350 Jay Street, 8th Floor
    Brooklyn, NY 11201

Hon. Marty Markowitz
    Brooklyn Borough President
    209 Joralemon Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11201

Hon. Martin Connor
    New York State Senate
    Legislative Office Building,
    Room 408
    Albany, NY 12247

Ms. Shirley McRae
    Chair, Community Board #2
    350 Jay Street, 8th Floor
    Brooklyn, NY 11201

Hon. David Yassky
    New York City Councilman,
    Distric 33
    114 Court Street, 2nd Floor
    Brooklyn, NY 11201

Assemblywoman Joan Millman
    52nd District
    341 Smith Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11201

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Thanks Rev...went to the oppositions website http://85jaystreet.org/cando/ and got this info... Revenue Lost As a religious organization, the Jehovah's Witnesses who occupy 85 Jay will not pay valuable taxes . As the proposed structure will house one third of the poplulation of the neighborhood, it is important to consider how taxing the building will be on the area and its resources relative to its contribution.

Hon. Martin Connor [email protected]

Assemblywoman Joan Millman [email protected]

Hon. David Yassky [email protected]

Amanda Burden, Director http://home.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/maildcp.html -BONEZZ

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Metatron is correct. That is what they no doubt will do. If the community as a whole is enraged with the WTBS though, I think the politicians will listen to them and WE need to give them the ammo. One other note, we should let all the New Yorkers know how the WTBS acted when 9/11 happened...closed, locked doors, no sending young men over to help, etc. They have no sense of community or regard for their "worldly" neighbors. The WTBS views them as "bird food." Hell, just quote their publications!

-BONEZZ

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

They have no sense of community or regard for their "worldly" neighbors. The WTBS views them as "bird food." Hell, just quote their publications
    YES! You don't have to dig up any dirt on the WT--just a little witness from their own publications could say it all.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

When would letters/emails have to be sent in? Is there a deadline date of when protests are to be considered?

I had read about this proposal some time ago, but didn't realize that there was much we/I could do about it---thinking it was a local concern.

How much weight do you think would be pulled from letters of protest from outside the DUMBO area?

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit