On the fading of 1914 ............

by TheOldHippie 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• minimus
    minimus

Just because a date isn't mentioned as often, it doesn't mean it's being abandoned.

• AlanB
    AlanB

Well of course we are all more sensitive to the ever shifting doctrines, now that we are out and have done our research our eyes are opened to the changes.

The R&F on the other hand may never notice, the endless meetings where you mentally switch off, the odd watered down reference to 1914 keeps the older JW's happy and the newwer ones never know the difference. Its only in hindsight do you realise what has happenned. Like the changing of the words on the barn door in Orwells 1984, no its always said that, you are mistaken.

Well I am not mistaken, I sat through book studies of the 'Babylon' book as a child, I remember the chronology and the fact that the entire doctrine was hinged upon it. I remember the early 80's when it was more than hinted at that 1984 was significant. I remember reading books that told how Rutherfords organisation was cleansed and found favour after the 3 1/2 years in prison following 1914. I remember the explainations of Porousia and christs presence. I could recite how 607 + 7 times + Year 0 = 1914 . I leanrned how the 6000 years added up to 1975 and then saw it downplayed. I remember the subtle change of the Generation to those that were alive in 1914.

I suspect very few will even notice.

No one noticed when they changed the banner on the Awake, no one noticed the references to the UN in the 80's. They accept the new light on blood fractions.

Its like the old story of how to boil a frog. Change the temperature slowly and they dont notice.

A few references here and there then comes the new light that appears to be only a gradual change. No Brothers we have always taught that.

Eventually the whole thing will be so hollow there will be nothing left.

A

• blondie
    blondie

The thing to be noted, I think, is not whether 1914 is mentioned less or that 607 is mentioned but when was the last time these 2 dates were mentioned and correlated together?

Was it here?

Daniel's Prophecy (1999) chap. 6 pp. 96-97 Unraveling the Mystery of the Great Tree

28 Since the "seven times" are prophetic, we must apply to the 2,520 days the Scriptural rule: "A day for a year." This rule is set out in a prophecy regarding the Babylonian siege of Jerusalem. (Ezekiel 4:6, 7; compare Numbers 14:34.) The "seven times" of earth?s domination by Gentile powers without interference by God?s Kingdom therefore spanned 2,520 years. They began with the desolation of Judah and Jerusalem in the seventh lunar month (Tishri 15) of 607 B.C.E. (2 Kings 25:8, 9, 25, 26) From that point to 1 B.C.E. is 606 years. The remaining 1,914 years stretch from then to 1914 C.E. Thus, the "seven times," or 2,520 years, ended by Tishri 15, or October 4/5, 1914 C.E.

• Neo
    Neo

Blondie,

when was the last time these 2 dates were mentioned and correlated together?

You've probably forgotten, but there was a study article this year that did exactly that: it correlated 607 and 1914.

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 3-21-04 WT Study

Watchtower Study for 3-21-2004

I guess this is some evidence that some WT writers want to emphasize 1914 knowing that lack of mention to it will increase doubt in inquiring R&F minds. At the same time, others would like to diminish its as much as possible, as evident in the growing scarcity of references to the date in recent years.

Neo

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Neo, it is cruel to refer to Blondie's very own thread. ;-)

But there are not many that could do something like that to Blondie.

German-of-the-Blondie-admiring-class-XJW

• Neo
    Neo

Hey, GermanXJW, I'm a Blondie fan too!! She does a terrific job!

This was just a little piece of information she possibly didn't notice. Even she can forget minor stuff like that. It's nothing compared to the amount of research she has provided us. Thank you, Blondie!!!

Neo

• Pole
    Pole

Neo's analysis is interesting if we consider raw frequencies a telling statistic, which in a way it is. He used a simple quantitative approach. I'd like to use some qualitative stats.

Actually I do some research in computational linguistics. I am working on a variation of an algorithm which groups related concepts automatically for a given set of texts. I've recently applied it to WTS literature just for the thrill of it. (obsession).

It allows me to roughly test how a given concept is related to others in a set of texts and thus it defines the connotative meaning of the concept through its context. The interpretation is that in different doctrines words gain meaning when they cooccur with other words. Thus you can see how the use of certain word is biased by doctrinal change.

Anyway some results for 1914 are given below. I have tested how the word/concept of 1914 was used in relation to other words/concepts in the WT magazine in 1970, 1984 and 2003-2004. There are three tables below which illustrate this.

The first column contains a general label for the group of words which tend to cooccur with 1914. The second one shows all the words belonging to this group. The last column shows how closely related these words are to the concept of 1914.

Here we go:

Watchtower 1970

Stem

Words

Relation

c.e

c.e

gentil

gentiles, gentile

sinc

since

end

end, ending, ends, ended

period

period, periodically, periods,

messian

messianic

time

timing, time, times, timely

year

year, years

event

events, eventful, event

antityp

antitype, antitypical, antitypically

appoint

appointing, appointment,

propheci

prophecies, prophecy

jerusalem

jerusalem

war

war, warring, wars

Ok, so we have some "old-school" lingo here (end of "gentile times" seems to crop up). The year 1914 seems to have some antitypical, prophetic meaning. It has to do with Jerusalem (second fullfilment perhaps). It marks the end of the gentile times and the beginning of the period of the messianic kingdom which has ruled since then. This is confirmed by events such as wars.

Watchtower 1984

Stem

Words

Relation

gener

generations, generation

sinc

since

year

year, years

gentil

gentiles, gentile

rule

rule, ruling, rules, ruled

mark

marking, mark, marked, marks

event

events, eventful, event

date

dated, dating, date, dates

end

end, ending, ends, ended

began

began

point

pointed, point, points, pointing

chronologi

chronology

heavenli

heavenly

As you can see in the 1980s, the big change in the ranking is the number one among the concepts related to 1914 - generation. Plus, the WTS boasts a lot about the fact that they had attached much importance to that date as early as 1880.

Watchtower October 2003 - 2004

Stem

Words

Relation

enthron

enthronement, enthroned

sinc

since

establish

establish, established, establishment

appoint

appoint, appointment

heaven

heavens, heaven

world

world

condit

conditional, condition, conditions

kingdom

kingdom, kingdoms

end

end, ending, ends, ended

king

king, kings

fulfil

fulfillments, fulfiller, fulfilled, fulfills, fulfill

jesu

jesus

slave

slaves, slave, slaved, slaving

anoint

anoints, anointing, anointed

christ

christ

Hello, whatever happened to the number one from the middle 1980s? The concept of generation gets completely disassociated form the concept of 1914. Otherwise, same old crap: enthronement of Jesus as king, and the establishment of his heavenly kindom. Perhaps more emphasis is placed on the deteriorating conditions of the world rather than to the concept of gentile times from the 1970.

My conclusions:

The common features for the 1970s, 198s and 2000s (?) interpretations of the year 1914 are:

a) The enthronement of Christ and his happy rule ever since.

b) The fulfillment of follow-up prophecies

The distinctive features for the three:

a) In the 1970s more emphasis was placed on the ancient chronology (antitypes/gentile times).

b) In the 1980s the WT stresses the relationship between 1914 and the generation.

c) When 1914 is mentioned n 2003-2004 WTs, few if any details of the ancient chronology are mentioned. Also the relationship between 1914 and the generation was cancelled.

Statistical figures, but they seem to correlate with what most of us know don't they?

Pole

• Honesty
    Honesty

Governing Body says:

If we tell you this bible is Green, IT IS GREEN even though it looks Black because we are God's voice to mankind but we don't prophesy but we recieve information from Jehovah but we never said that but we have seen some publishers eager for the end of this system think we said the end would come in 1874, 1914, 1925, 1975 but they were just speculating because we really did not say that. Now, who is dispensing nutritional spiritual food at the proper time in these "Last Days' other than the Faithful Discreet Slave Class of spirit anointed members of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. The facts provide the answer to that question that ONLY Jehovah's Witnesses know when the end of this system is going to take place and, friends, you can take that to the bank while you are donating your life savings to further the Kingdom Message that we have been proclaiming to the nations before the end will come so dig deep in those pockets and be happy that you may/may not be spared God's wrath at Armageddon. The Bible is Green.

• one
    one

Around the time Freddy Franz died a lot of thing started to take speed, such as redefinition of "generation" and associating with the UN despite the fact it is a "beast". All that demostrate a systematic, planned, change in doctrines and teachings.for obvious reasons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit