Should the WTS be paying minimum wage & taxes for full-time volunteers?

by Deleted 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Deleted
    Deleted

Hey y'all. The thread (via free minds) on "the real truth facing aging Witnesses" has me back on one of my old topics. Namely, that full-time sales people, administrative and factory workers of a religious publishing company MUST be provided for when they retire - and I believe they should be paid minimum wage to boot! Since the WTS' bethel workers take a vow of poverty they will have nothing when they leave. This is wrong. And as we all know this isn't going to change, thousands will reach their golden years with nothing. Here's a thread I found via a Scientoligist message board. http://discus.xenu.net/discus/messages/730/1389.html?1005529203 What do you think? Can we get the authorities to investigate the WTS? When I did the math several years ago (and I can't find my assumptions) it totalled $1.5 billion, world wide. Wouldn't it be just grand to team up with X-Scientologists on this! Glen

• kls
    kls

I understand what you are saying, and i don't mean any disrespect to those people who work for the cult. But it is their choice ,if they havn't gotten the idea yet after all the failed predictions , i for one would not fight for them.

• Deleted
    Deleted

KLS, point taken. But, I know one young fellow who has 15 years in Bethel who is stuck. He was raised in this g-d awful mess. He didn't have a choice, it was expected of him. And even when someone chooses this, haven't the facts been totally misrepresented. I can't believe that the fair labor laws were intended to be dodged this way. The WTS is a commerical business - no matter how they paint it. http://www.ed.gov/americareads/resourcekit/Negotiating/wagehours.html

• kls
    kls

Also point taken, but how much money does a 15yr old need? I am sure he lives at home ,has no bill's. Most kids make minimum wage as well as some adults, but they try to better themselves to move up to make a better living. When he becomes an adult he can make that choice if he is free from the cult. We are so called Apostates, evil , demonized, they hurt people in the most horrable ways. To help them would be like going back to the missery i left, it is bad enough my husband is still in.

• Deleted
    Deleted

As I said he's been 15 years at Bethel (NY) - he's 35 years old now. His job is to buy electronic parts for the printing equipment at bethels all round the world - and that's a commerical business, yes. He took a vow of poverty, it was expected of him. He will have no social security when it finally occurs to him that he is better out than in.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Full-time "workers" supported by the WT Society, whether they are Bethelites, travelling overseers or missionaries -- have been asked to take a "vow of poverty". This allows the Society to use their services and only provide room and board and a miserable little stipend.

I don't know all the particulars -- when the vow of poverty started (but I think it was within the last 15 years) and if existing Bethelites and travelling overseers had to sign it or if it only applied to new ones.

Anyhow, the WT Society has the "legal" angle on everything. It's pretty hard to outwit their legal department.

• kls
    kls

Deleted, don't get me wrong, what you are saying is kind of you to want to help them, but in my opinon the best for them is to try and get them out. If he is 35 and still works for minium wage ,i am sure he figures the end is near so why make more . Yes with all the wealth the wt has they should pay more ,but they don't and it is up to the person to work for them.

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

Isn't there something wrong with this subject title?

Paid Volunteer equals Oximoron?

• Deleted
    Deleted

KLS, bethel workers get $50 per month or so - far less than minimum wage. That's all. No social security taxes are paid on their behalf - so no retirement. Maybe I have been gone for so long that I am no longer irritated by the people, just the organization itself. I think it is a scandal. I think it is criminal. Downplaying their commercial activities is how the WTS has amassed a fortune on the backs of willing volunteers - and avoided taxes. Just because peer pressure got the young bethelites into this shouldn't mean that they have nothing when it's over. Well, at least I can't be accused of not caring for my friend at Bethel - even if he doesn't talk to me!!!

Remember we don't need to worry about ourselves financially? The end is coming about 30 years ago. The sad thing is that the same mentality is used with taking care of people in this day and age as it was when their prophecy had not yet arrived. SAD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit