When did you think Armageddon would come?

by comment 51 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

I was just thinking about this. Having been raised "in the truth" post-1975, I didn't grow up with any specific year in mind. Yes, there was the notion of "this generation will by no means pass away," but by the time I was old enough to think about that concept, the people who were born in 1914 (to stretch it out as far as possible, as the Society ultimately did) were still only in their 60's. So for me, it was more a feeling of "well, it's going to come one of these days," but I never felt like it would be "the day after tomorrow," as the Society encouraged. Of course, in the 1980's there were plenty of reminders about how close it was, but perhaps when you're raised with it you become a little numb to the constant suggestion. Anyway, as a faithful, well-behaved Witness kid, what did I have to worry about? I guess I thought that even though I wasn't baptized yet, the good conduct of my Witness parent would get me through whenever it came.

When I was baptized near the start of the 1990's, the whole idea of Armageddon's imminence became more vivid. For several years, I had a sense that the political and social upheaval in Eastern Europe and Russia would be a precursor to the start of the great tribulation (i.e. the king of the north would get riled up and start wreaking havoc). And so I thought Armageddon might be "soon," in the next decade or so.

But then, when the Society changed its definition of "this generation" in 1995, thus potentially extending the start date of Armageddon into the indefinite future (despite all its insistence that this wasn't so--conveniently overlooking that with God "a day is as a thousand years" and Peter saying "the end of all things has drawn near...be vigilant with a view to prayers" etc., which really illustrates the Biblical approach toward "soon"), I lost my sense that it was going to come any time in the near future.

Of course, all "mature Christians" realize that this attitude would mark me mentally as one of those weaklings who was "serving for a date" rather than "with eternity in view." Blah blah blah. (Or maybe I simply realized that it was a cheap con trick to drop a major doctrine just because 1995 minus 1914 equals 81; oh yes, of course, we must all view the true human lifespan as being 70 or 80 years because of what the psalmist wrote 3,000 years ago. And who was it that created the notion that the dying off of a bunch of people born around the start of the 20th century might have something to do with the start of God's "great day of vengeance," pray tell?)

Anyway, I'm just curious now. When did you think Armageddon would come? Somehow, my guess is that people who adopted the Witness faith rather than being born into it would have more of a sense that it was "right around the corner." But I could be wrong.

comment

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

Ahh.. the memories...
    I remember when I was about 15 or so, laying down on my livingroom floor. I was drawing a map of Paul's travels for one of the elders so he could use it in his talk. As I was trying to figure out where Macedonia was to be placed, I heard Pres. Bush announce that they would be invading the east (Desert Storm/Desert Shield, can't remember exactly which one.) The reason why I can't remember was because my hand started shaking. Yes, I was terrified that was the beginning of the end. I believed I would die at Armaggeddon. The HORROR! THE HORROR!! THE PAIN!! THE PAIN!!
    Who was I to think that about 10 years later, I would still be here, the world would still be here, and the "generation" of 1914 is mostly dead.
    ofcmad

"Noah was a drunk and look what he accomplished." The Metatron/Dogma
  • proplog2
    proplog2

This October/ Next Memorial 1950-1980

• noidea
    noidea

before I was 18. Almost 18 years ago.

• Flip
    Flip

I was born into the “truth”.

As a child I would wake up at night in a sleepy haze to the slow moving, engine sound of a wayward jet airliner flying high over my parents house.

Although I was too young to realize at the time that it was just an innocuous commercial flight rather than a military aircraft, I would sweat profusely while pressing my body as tight as I could into my mattress and slowly grasp the edge of my blankets and pull them towards me as if they would protect me once the bombs of the “King of the North” or “King of the South” and Armageddon began to drop from the aircraft.

As the sound slowly began to dissipate into the distance to finally fall silent, I would be much relieved that I was not to die tonight and prayed sincerely to Jehovah thanking Him for sparing me.

Fortunately, while growing up, jet aircraft were not as prevalent flying overhead as they are today otherwise as a child I was sleep deprived enough as it was and I attribute many a sleepless night as a small child directly to my parents association with the WTBTS.

I don’t blame my parents for being so ignorant by choosing to become Jehovah's Witnesses; I blame those controlling the WTBTS for being so devious and devoid of humanity for their own sake.

Flip

• tergiversator
    tergiversator

Fifth grade. There was no way I was going to junior high, that was such an impossibly long time in the future for a five year old (the age I was when my mom got baptized).

Funny how I didn't really notice when I did get to junior high, though; I just thought it was just a small unspecified numbers of years off and never thought of it more specifically than that. The generation change, incidentally, was a bit of a relief for me, and I remember wondering why people had been so silly as to think they could pin a date or time period on the end.

That being said... It still came as quite a big shock to me last year, in my first year of college, when I actually let it sink in that, barring bad luck, I actually had 60, 70, 80 or more years to live in "this system" - my whole life. Sort of terrifying at first, because at some level I just never considered the possibility that I would be this old.

'course, I never thought I was going to become a 'postate, either

-T.

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

Hi Comment

Interesting question. I am 19, and had it drilled into my head that I should be afraid of everything because Armaggedon would be just around the corner...but no one knew when because it would come "as a thief in the night" as the JW's say. When I was little, I used to be afraid to go to sleep, thinking that Armageddon was going to come while I was sleeping, and I was afraid of Armageddon. Anyway, I thought it would come before 2000. Well, here we are...so where is it?
    My Regards,
    Joanne

• TimeOut
    TimeOut

The cuban blockade.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

When did I think Armageddon would come? "When you least expect it"! Trouble was, everybody else on the elder body "knew" the date already! Boy, did I feel ostracised. Sorta not quite loyal enough, you know how it was.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

I was born into it in 1972. I remember walking out of "Return Of The Jedi" thinking that George Lucas would never get the chance to make the prequals that he had promised. Every year that passed without a new Star Wars movie, I was so pissed. So afraid that Armageddon would come before the movies.

Now almost 20 years after "Return Of The Jedi", still no armageddon, and the Star Wars prequal sucked. Go figure.

SlayerLayer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit