East Coast Blizzard 2015

by breakfast of champions 20 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Steve, did you HAVE to?   ;-)

My daughter is in Pittsburgh for work. I hope she doesn't have a snowed in flight on Friday

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

We're looking at about two feet of snow here in coastal Connecticut. I am a New Englander, born and raised. You won't catch me in the store the day of a storm stocking up on staples. What a bunch of crazies! We're here for the duration.

They are predicting thunder and lightning, gusting winds and whiteout conditions tonight. That should be interesting. We have a generator, a fireplace and wood pile and a snow blower. The last time we had three feet of snow, we were home for a week. Argh! I just want to be plowed out by next Tuesday, because we are headed out to meet our new grand son. My daughter and her husband had their first baby! They live in Central America. 

• steve2
    steve2
    Hey nonjwspouse, I ain't saying I'm loving it here in the baking sun, but yes, the storms hitting the States at present are frightening in their extremes. My thoughts are with you all.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Just watch how witnesses will turn this into yet another case of

"SEE HOW CLOSE the end must be with all these storms!!!"

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Besides shutting down the subway and buses at 11pm this evening, they also said that if you were out on the street after 11 without good reason you would be fined.  Being NYC I guess they're going to make a gold mine in fines to make up for those weeks when the cops were on strike so to speak because they were mad at the Mayor.

"only in New York" ...

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

We woke up to 18 inches of snow, and it's still coming down, but the worst of the storm is winding down. Hubby is out with the snow plow now. It's still blowing out there, but he can move the bulk of the snow from the driveway and let the dog out-- she is having a blast. I really think Connecticut is in pretty good shape. Maybe we learned some things from the blizzard of February, 2013. 

The governor put a travel ban in effect at 9PM last night, so there are very few car accidents and stranded motorists. The National Guard is at the ready and there are 40 electric company crews from as far away as Canada available to deal with power outages. The power companies have been on a mission to clear the lines of overhanging limbs since we've had two major hurricanes and now two blizzards since 2011.

Many thanks to the DOT crews that worked through the night and to all the first responders that help keep us safe.

• talesin
    talesin

Still snowing with freezing ice pellets, and gusting to 65 mph ... I haven't listened to the TV, but that's what Environment Canada's weather service, and my own EYES tell me.  

It's quite the storm out there, but 'the Perfect Storm'  *rolling my eyes* ... that is exactly why I don't watch the Weather Channel or network weather.  They are such drama queens.  Down East, we should know how to handle a mid-winter's storm by now.  I just feel bad for the lobster fishermen - this is their season, and it's a tough go.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    I hope they are smart enough to cancel the boasting sessions.
  • Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

"Hello, you say the meeting's been cancelled? No, we weren't planning to get out in this weather. SO, who have you got over there to be snowed in with? Oh man, you've got frozen daiquiris in the blender? Wait - didn't you have the demonstration tonight? Yeah I bet you are tore up over having to miss that!  Well thanks for calling.  No, I don't need a ride to work, I told them I live on an icy hill."

Scene from winter '93.

Marina

• under the radar
    under the radar

Here in Manchester, NH (about 50 miles northwest of Boston), my driveway and the street were completely clear of snow when we went to bed about midnight.  This morning we have between 18 inches and 2 feet of snow and it's still coming down.  The temp is a balmy 16º F and the wind is whipping around pretty good.  A couple of the neighbors are out snow blowing already, but they're not making much headway.  I guess the theory is to "get ahead" of things so you won't have so much to deal with when the snow actually stops.  It's forecast to keep snowing till after midnight tonight.

I don't really want to get out there twice, but I guess I'll have to eventually.  If I wait till the snow is piled higher than the top of the snow blower's scoop, it'll be much harder to clear the driveway.  We have 4 wheel drive vehicles, but even they don't work very well in 2 feet of snow.

I'm gonna give it a couple more hours and maybe then give it a try.  Meanwhile, I think I'll sit here in my easy chair with a nice cup of hot tea and read my book.

I hope everyone stays warm and dry and heeds Simon's advice.  Take it easy if you have to shovel manually.  Having a nice clean driveway isn't worth having a heart attack over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit