JW kids...

by neverthere 23 Replies latest jw friends

• neverthere
    neverthere

For those of you that grew up in the "Truth" what did you get to play with/watch on tv? I keep reading about what you couldn't have or watch so what did you do?

Enquiring Non JW minds want to know!

Diana

• Mulan
    Mulan

I grew up in the 50's and didn't have a television until 1954, but my parents were very liberal. I watched whatever I wanted to watch. Neighborhood kids were my playmates, with no restrictions unless they weren't good kids (rare). I even was allowed to date "worldly" boys.

Things had changed radically when I had my children. I let them play and associate with the neighbor kids, but dating was not allowed. I didn't restrict TV too much, except how much time they watched. I had friends, though, that wouldn't let their kids watch Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie, and other similar shows. To me, they were just fantasy, so I didn't make a big deal of it. I was pretty liberal too.

• JOLLYME
    JOLLYME

I HAD 7 BROTHERS AND SISTERS WE HAD TO PLAY WITH EACH OTHER!

YOU KNOW THOSE HAND CLAPPING GAMES.........LIKE BO BO, MISS MARY MACK

WE WERE TOLD THOSE WERE EVIL SO WE HAD TO RECITE BIBLE CHAPTERS! WHAHOO

THAT WAS FUN! YEAH! OH AND AS WELL AS WHEN WE WERE JUMPING ROPE!

• xLaurax
    xLaurax

Well u cud say that i'm still a child and i watch what the hell i want at whatever time i want really! My mum might not agree with what i watch but she gives me choice. I can choose who i want to be friends with (so long as the persons decent) and choose who i wanna date (so long as i'm 16 -which i am! ). My mum was a softie jw really and i was a rebel jw so it all works out well really!

xLaurax

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

I couldn't watch 'violent' cartoons on tv, so there wnet x-men, he-man, thundercats etc. Eventually we got rid of the tv because it wasn't wholesome entertainment..
    I would sit around at school twiddling my thumbs when everyone talked about what they saw on tv the day before.
    In creche I used to make up stuff, whenever someone described a scene from a cartoon I would say yeah that was my favourite part, oh that was so cool..
    when I went to my dad's place I ended up not watching the stuff by choice because it was wrong
    I unfortunately learnt the art of lying at a young age

• Ciara
    Ciara

We weren't allowed to have Barbie dolls because my mom thought they were anatomically correct. (makes me wonder how I was ever concieved)

This is strange. This post got me thinking back to what sort of toys I had. I don't remember any. I don't remember one single toy that I might have had as a child. What's worse, I have a brother and sister that are both younger and I don't remember either of them having toys either. Okay, now I'm depressed. Who dosen't remember any of their toys???

Anybody know a good shrink??? Sad

Ciara

• Corvin
    Corvin

Mom was pretty liberal with me, but would sometimes crack down whenever aunt-fanatical-Esther would go on the attack and beat her over the head with a Watchtower magazine.

I was able to watch Starsky and Hutch, Star Trek, most any cartoons . . . my cousins could not. Aunt Esther would not permit them to watch hardly anything. When I would go over to visit, I would have to tell my cousin, Matt, all about the last episode of Starsky and Hutch. Then we'd play shoot-em up out in the back yard.

• codeblue
    codeblue

My Dad wasn't a JW, so we were allowed to watch whatever we wanted!!!

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Couldn't whatch the Dukes of Hazzard, because of Daisey Duke's Daisy Dukes. I was only in 6th grade and girls were still cooty filled, vermin. All I wanted to see was the General Lee.

That was the only TV program that was forbidden in our house. Of course, mom (God rest her soul) never missed the soaps. I do give her credit. When the WTS came down hard on the soaps she gave them up with no problems.

LABD

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

I had two stones to play with. And wasn´t alowed to break them. It was ok to play meetings, door to door, aso. All fun games, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit