Former Bethelite comes out and shares story

by Dogpatch 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

I think the biggest step in healing you've already started on - finding new friends.

While my wife and I left together, for slightly different reasons, she is about the only close friend I have right now. I never did have many in the JW religion, either (not REAL friends, obviously), but I considered my literal brother and a couple 'brothers' from the hall as close friends - they shared similar interests, etc. It's fairly hard when you are of the nerdy-persuasion. I mean, I learned quickly (in high school) how to dress and act to be 'cool', what sports to follow, etc - but it all bored me. I was really interested in PCs, pen-and-paper wargaming, science and learning, etc - all things fairly rare to find in ANY group of people, so the fact that a half dozen JWs shared interests with me while so few in the world did kept me 'in' for much longer than I would have otherwise been (nevermind the obvious hypocrisy of JWs interested in wargames).

I did not 'play their game' and send them a DA letter or let them DF me....so I am, technically, still a 'JW in good standing' although I'm really, REALLY inactive . But, still, you start missing meetings (and aren't a Bethelite - heh) and they distance themselves from you. That's, perhaps, why I've stayed active in the 'trying to convince them they are wrong stage'....they still HAVE MY FRIENDS!! And I haven't found any new ones near as close as those I've lost.

I've done the same arguing you have - I think we all have - trying to convince them they are wrong on points. I mean, some things are SO obvious it hurts. The 607 thing, for example. Where do they get that year from? Can they find ANY source? NOTHING says Jerusalem fell in 607 but them, 586/587 is the accepted date, etc. - they just dismiss the whole thing and don't even bother looking "That's just apostate nonsense, why would I need to look that up? The org would never lie!" etc.

It makes you into a boiling sea of emotions. You want to scream and try to reason with them, you want to smack your head in the wall, you wonder if there really IS a deity or someone you could petition to remove the blinders from their eyes, you want to cry for seeing what a cult has done to a thinking human being....literally, a sea of emotions, and all of them negative. It feels very different from arguing with someone in field service (back when I did that) - even as a JW who really, really believed what I was teaching - I could still at least understand the householder's objections, and try to reason with them. It rarely felt as frustrating. It never felt like it does now - that they DO understand what I am saying, but are deliberately choosing to ignore it despite it's truth.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    [Debating with householders out in service] rarely felt as frustrating [as debating with Witnesses]

Wow, you know, I've never really thought of it that way, but it's incredibly true. It seems like householders were much more willing to concede points or at least understand your side of things. Witnesses are absolutely immobile. And you are dead on in saying that they deliberately choose not to hear or understand things. I think that particular aspect has been one of the most shocking things to me.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack discussion. Just wanted to say your points really rang true, Xander. And nice to meet you, by the way.

SNG

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

Michael:

I echo the others posting here. Welcome! 'The truth shall set you free', how true. Things may seem confusing and bleak at times, but it gets better as time goes by. I was in for 22 yrs got out 5 yrs ago. There is life beyond the WT! I'm truly sorry your family is treating you so shabbily. But please know that the folks on this board are pulling for you and your happiness.

• Tacky
    Tacky

Doogie,

Get your mind set to start your new life NOW! You can start building your own family - who won't judge you by how many hours you put into field service last month - with your girlfriend and her family. Make friends with your neighbors, and the people you work with. It is amazing how many great people there are around you that are never given a chance by those stuck in the cult because they aren't dubs... Truly amazing!

I haven't spoken to my mother in over two years and I've only missed her once. (I was sick with the flu and I wanted my mommy! Obviously delusional!) You get used to it. It is actually quite refreshing after a while that your time is yours! Imagine, you don't have to spend every once of your vacation time going back to the same old place time and time again! You can go anywhere! Of course, in my world you get to go see the in-laws who live four hours away, but hey, what the heck? I can't have everything!

Did you say where in

• Tacky
    Tacky

Sorry - my last post got cut off - I'm not used to this fancy smancy set-up here!

Get your mind set to start your new life NOW! You can start building your own family - who won't judge you by how many hours you put into field service last month - with your girlfriend and her family. Make friends with your neighbors, and the people you work with. It is amazing how many great people there are around you that are never given a chance by those stuck in the cult because they aren't dubs... Truly amazing!

I haven't spoken to my mother in over two years and I've only missed her once. (I was sick with the flu and I wanted my mommy! Obviously delusional!) You get used to it. It is actually quite refreshing after a while that your time is yours! Imagine, you don't have to spend every once of your vacation time going back to the same old place time and time again! You can go anywhere! Of course, in my world you get to go see the in-laws who live four hours away, but hey, what the heck? I can't have everything!

Did you say where in

• Tacky
    Tacky

ok - let's try just posting the bottom part... Some one tell me what I am doing wrong here! Please?

Did you say where in

• Tacky
    Tacky

Did you say where in

• Tacky
    Tacky

I give up! It was fabulous - you'll just have to stay tuned until I can figure out how to work this board!

• one
    one

rambling, where in the bible says something like a "man" with "thinking" ability will be "hated",

also where in the bible says that "stupid" people get "furious" when confronted with truth,

I have seen many JW really get furious when confronted with truth, it seem a typical reaction according to many real stories found in this and other sites. .

Of course the best to do would be not to confront them unless absolutely neccessary, say nothing when confronted by any of them yourself, you'll never win...

• zugzwang
    zugzwang
    hey, i know what you're talking about simon. i never got used to the awed looks i would get from the "lowly rank and file" when i would go back to visit my folks. it was all i could do not to bust out laughing.

i just wanted to smack em to knock that look off of their face. everyone's the same, it doesn't matter if you live in brooklyn or wallkill or wherever.

Greetings from another ex Bet-hell-ite. What you said is so true. People acted like Bethelites were celebrities or something. It was quite amusing. Probably the closest that I'll ever come to being a celebrity. I can see why some people stay at Bethel even though they have to know it's all a bunch of crap. That feeling of importance or power or prestige or whatever it is that comes with being at "the big house." Glad to see another ex-beth make his way out. I was at Brooklyn in 98 and 99. Did you ever notice how many Bethelites either DA'd themselves or were DF'd while at Bethel? It seemed like at least once a week they would be announcing at morning worship 2 or 3 persons who "had been disfellowshipped and were no longer part of the Bethel family." Now I understand why that would be the case. I just wish I would have seen the hypocrisy myself sooner. Well, again, welcome to the board!

zugz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit