Former Bethelite comes out and shares story

by Dogpatch 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D
    heck yeah, winston.

you just don't know until you've visited madison. it's a great town.

Cool, email me if you ever need to contact me:

[email protected]

I got to know Mad-Town pretty well when we had the conventions there every year at the Collie-see-'um [this year it's in Rockford IL I think].

Used to grab one of the hotels on the State Capitol Square, then walk down to State St and eat, skateboard, listen to musicians, or watch some freaks after the long day of sitting at the convention. Would wrap the night up at the Student Union watching a local band on the Terrace while drinking a Berghoff on tap...good times.

Usually would be somewhat tired the next day at the convention.

• Larry
    Larry

Wow - nice story. I could related to the following:

I was always a shy kid that desperately wanted to make my parents proud. Actually, come to think of it, it didn?t even have to be my parents. I just wanted people to be proud of me?low self-esteem, I guess.
    if God sees it fit to kill me, than I will gladly accept his judgment. I would simply rather live happily and freely a few years than a lifetime in slavery
    However, I knew I had to do something. I couldn?t in good conscience remain a member of an organization that I see as nothing more than at best misguided and at worst deceitful, destructive and evil.

I feel you, but at least you are still young. I opened my eyes @ 34, not only with the BORG but with everything in life. When you see and live the world 'in color' it's almost impossible to go back to a 'black and white' existence. I'm not too optimistic about your family coming around - But that's the price you pay for freedom. It will all work out.

Peace - Larry :)

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Hi Michael,

Welcome here. I hope that you will find some solace among friends that understand you.

It will be a tough for a while, but you have your youth.

Many of us here have squandered the better part of our lives being enslaved to this organization that can be cruel and ruthless.

You however are young and you have many years ahead of you without the watchtower yoke.

I wish you all the best

wannaexit

• flower
    flower

Hi MichaeI,

You're so right it totally sucks. So many of us have lost our families just to be spiritually, mentally and emotionally free. The religion unfortunately doesnt allow for such freedoms.

Hang in their with your family though, you never know what will happen down the road. They are probably die hard witnesses like my fam but theres plenty of people here who were diehard elders, pioneers ect who walked away so there is always that tiny bit of hope.

So much of what you said I, and I'm sure many others, could have written word for word. If its any solace, even though you feel alone there are many of us out there in the same boat.

flower

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Michael, you are a brave, mature, loving young man! Don't ever think different! Welcome to your new FAMILY!!!! We are all in different stages of healing here on JWD. I've been out six years myself, and ended my twenty year marriage to my stuffy "elder" husband at the same time I left. It was tough at first, but, being on here, being among other people "detoxing" has helped IMMENSELY. And, you'll find it isn't all about JDubs here, either. We have a very intelligent, gifted group of people who write, play music, paint, etc. And, we have some real intellectuals here also. So, you've come to the right place..........let your healing continue apace!

Hugs,

Terri

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

or a life to gain.

There is a lot of pain in leaving but there is also so much to gain

Welcome to the board

Lee

• Triple A
    Triple A

Michael,

Welcome here. I hope that you will find some solace among friends that understand you.

Hope that you can also find some comfort that there are people who have never experienced what you have are pulling for you.

One day you might find that because of your courage, others in your family are able to find freedom.

Triple A

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Hello Michael,

Quite an interesting story! I'm a former Bethelite also, but mine is not as dramatic as yours. I was, however, disfellowshipped for apostasy and shunned by friends and some family members. But I found new friends (and added more friends from this forum) and have never again set foot in a Kingdom Hall since 1966. I'm at peace with myself and quite content and know the same will be true for you in time.

WELCOME!

My story appears on July 9, 2002 at

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/bethelguest.html

• Kenneson
  • seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the board! You sound like a great guy. There are a lot of other cool people here, so I'm sure you'll make a lot of meaningful friendships.

if you guys have any advice in particular for someone just starting to deal with this stuff or if you did anything in particular when you went through it, i would REALLY appreciate it. thanks guys.

I've been out of the org since last September. It all kind of hit me in one day. At the time, I wasn't working or going to school, so after the initial euphoria wore off, I started to get a little depressed. On the one hand, I was reading a ton and learning things and seeing my horizons broaden by the minute. But on the other hand, I had almost no one to share them with. So for me, this site was really important. The first week I must have spent 40 hours or more online.

Also, I went to school briefly and then got a job again, which supplied peers and got me back on the long-term track I wanted to be on.

You seem like a strong writer. For me, writing about various experiences and transitions really helped. I don't do this much anymore, but in my early days, I used to post a lot of long, ponderous pieces here. It's cool, because it's like a journal, except you get feedback from intelligent people!

So welcome! I'll look forward to hearing from you in the future!

SNG

P.S. In case you're interested, here are a couple interesting posts from my past.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/63627/1.ashx (The ultimate JW metaphor dream)
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/63475/1.ashx (The Jewish JW)
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/65121/1.ashx (My DA letter)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit