Help!! Soft Contact lens Users

by Cassiline 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Hello All

My 18 year-old daughter just started wearing soft contact lenses.

She tried to put them in about 45 minutes ago and for whatever reason the lens ripped when she put in in her eye. Half of the lens is still in her eye and we can not see it or find it. She can feel it way up in the back of her eye. Of course it's Sunday and the Doctors office is closed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to come out? And any reason as to why it ripped when she was as far as I know careful and put it in as the tech and doc showed her? Any advice is appreciated so I don't panic and take her to the ER. lol

Thanking you in advance...

Cassi

• Valis
    Valis

Hiya Cassi....bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *LOL*

I was gonna say when I would have this happen I would totally douse the eye w/gobs of saline solition..its gonna irritate, but give the eyeball a real good wash out and keep folding the old eyelid over the bottom one and roll the eye as much as possible..the last part should be no prob for a teenage girl..*LOL* Hope she gets it out...and the only reason I could see it would rip is maybe finger nails? Or it was ripped before she stuck it in her eye...who knows?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Odrade
    Odrade

yeah, flush it just like Valis said. it'll come down eventually. It's stuck up there cause the eye is too dry. probably from poking at it.

It may have ripped if it folded and got stuck (if too dry to begin with)

I hope she wears disposable and has some back-ups...

Odrade

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Hiya Cassi....bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *LOL*

You know Valis how stupid I am? After we were in chat the other evening I got in the shower and FINALLY realized what you were referring to by the buzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I started laughing my ass off in the shower and my daughter could hear me. LOL God I am slow this week!!

I was also wrong it ripped while in the eye not when she was putting it in. I guess she could have ripped it before hand.

Thanks for the advise

Saline solution coming up!

Cassi, "Buzzzzzz Class'

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    yeah, flush it just like Valis said. it'll come down eventually. It's stuck up there cause the eye is too dry. probably from poking at it.

Thanks Odrade. between fish advise and now contact advise, I'm going to owe you big bucks!!

Cassi

• Odrade
    Odrade

Okay, much better information. My guess is that it went in her eye fine, but her eye or the C.L. was too dry. The position was messed up and she tried to pinch it back out of her eye cause it felt like she had a rock in there. Since it was stuck, the only part that came back out was the part she was holding onto. I'll bet her eyeball feels like a sunburn now too, huh?

LOL! okay, now I KNOW I'm a big nerd.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Cas: It take sometime to get use to the "right" amount of force to use. I have torn mine many times and when I first started it took me hours to get the damn things in LOL Now I rinse, pop and go....

Funny story one day I put my contacs in and told Thunder "God everything is so blurry I guess I need to go to the doctor again." I errrrr forgot to take them out the night before so I had contact stacked on contact LOL Two pair PER EYE ROFLMAO errr ....*SIGH*

• Odrade
    Odrade

Two pair per eye? LOL! I have NEVER done that in over 20 years of soft lens wearing. I've only torn a very few also. If she's a new wearer, just tell her not to be stingy with the solution until she gets the hang of it. Buy the cheap saline for wetting. Don't use eyedrops unless she has to, messes up the eye's own hydration as her eye's get dependent on wetting. And if they fold and stick, wet and wait, then gently rub the stuck part open. (geez that sounds kinda dirty.)

Also, if they get stuck to her eye again, put a few drops of saline, not eyedrops in the eye, close it, wait a few seconds then gently rub on the eyelid until the lens frees up.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Ugh! I wore lenses for over 10 years before finally getting Lasik done. I ripped a lens maybe once or twice -- usually it was because I was trying to remove it while my eye was too dry.

A few times I have "lost" a lens way up in my eye but I could get it out by looking down (if the lens was "up") and I could eventually grab it.

Never put a torn or damaged lens in your eye -- it can hurt like a mofo!

• Tefcat
    Tefcat

Hiya!

Another top tip:

Make sure you are sober enough to remeber that you have removed the things before bed.

This way , you will not spend a painful drunken half hour in the wee small hours, getting up and trying to remove your cornea! Ouch!

Tefcat

ps My lenses seem to self destruct, being so careful, no long nails etc, and they appear to rip in mid air from case to eye, grrrr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit