Christian bakery ordered to pay $150 000 to gay couple

by cofty 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    It's a modified version of a quote from The Princess Bride, "You're trying to kidnap what I've rightfully stolen"
  • DJS
    DJS
    Another of my favorite movies. The longest name in cinema: "MyNameisInigoMontoyaYouKilledMyFatherPrepareToDie."
  • fiddler
    fiddler

Then there's the thing in Colorado...

This is from a Channel 9 News report from Jan. 20

DENVER -  Azucar Bakery on South Broadway is under investigation for religious discrimination by the Civil Rights division of the Department of Regulatory Agencies stemming from a March 2014 incident.

WHAT HAPPENED

A customer came into the store and requested a couple of cakes in the shape of Bibles, according to the owner Marjorie Silva.

Silva says the man pulled out a piece of paper with hateful phrases like "God hates gays" and requested her to write them on his cakes. He wouldn't let employees make a copy of the paper and would not read the words out loud, Silva claims. The bakery owner also says the customer wanted an image of two men holding hands with an "X" on top.

"After I read it, I was like 'No way,'" Silva said. "'We're not doing this. This is just very discriminatory and hateful.'"

Silva then received a complaint from DORA for religious discrimination.

"It's unfair that he's accusing me of discriminating when I think he was the one that is discriminating," Silva said.

DORA's consumer protection role allows the ability for consumers to file complaints against businesses for alleged discrimination. The Civil Rights division reviews and investigates the claims, and if the agency feels discriminatory acts were committed, the case moves forward to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission.

THE OTHER SIDE

9NEWS has learned Bill Jack, from Castle Rock, was the customer accusing Azucar Bakery of discrimination.

Jack is a founder of Worldview Academy, which is a "non-denominational organization dedicated to helping Christians think and live in accord with a Biblical worldview," according to the organization's website.

Jack's biography on the website says he is currently an educator who used to teach in public schools in the past, adding that he has appeared on numerous national radio and TV programs.

9NEWS asked why he requested a cake at Azucar Bakery and what he asked to have written on it.

He declined to answer but gave 9NEWS this statement:

"I believe I was discriminated against by the bakery based on my creed. As a result, I filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights division. Out of respect for the process, I will wait for the director to release his findings before making further comments."

Nancy Leong, a University of Denver law professor, has been looking into this case and doesn't believe Silva violated any laws.

"This is not a situation where a business owner denied service to somebody," Leong said. "She offered to accommodate him to the extent that she could. In fact, requiring her to write that message would infringe on her own free speech rights."

WHAT'S NEXT

DORA will rule whether Jack was discriminated against, but a decision is not expected for at least a couple of months, since the agency requested an extension.

Based on the agency's findings, the case could reach the Civil Rights commission.

(KUSA-TV © 2015 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

I don't what's been done on this one but it sounds like the religious people trying to make their own statement.  The thing is, THEY are the ones still discriminating! 
  • Simon
    Simon

That sounds like someone saw the judgement and thought "I could do that too - pay day!"

No doubt there will be a string of copy-cat claims where people demand to have something written that they could sue for and then sue if the people refuse to write it.

There should be severe punishment for people making false or frivolous claims.

• DJS
    DJS
    Yeah, I saw that in the news and expected it would be someone like that. A business has a right to establish policies based on legitimate business interests. A policy against hate speech would almost  certainly be supported by the courts as a legitimate business interest. The NFL, NBA, Duck Dynasty, etc. have anti-hate speech policies which have been vetted and withstood legal scrutiny. This idiot is wasting everyone's time.
  • steve2
    steve2
    The homophobic bakery could have had a field day agreeing to bake the damn cake for the betrothed couple but insist it choose the type of cake: Perhaps a fruit cake with fairy frosting? or given it was for a lesbian couple, plonking two miniature lumberjacks holding hands on top.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

As a bakery owner, I would simply request that all custom cakes be paid for in advance. Once they swiped their card and signed the receipt, I would tell them that I disagree with their view. If they get pissed and walk, good luck getting a refund. 

Problem solved. The word would spread and A-holes would get their hateful cakes made somewhere else. Take that, KKK! 

Also, "Good Job!", gay people!

• Simon
    Simon

That wouldn't work - the person could get a chargeback via the credit card company and you'd be out of pocket for the original amount plus the chargeback fee (and possibly face increased fees in future).

I think the best policy would be to get absolute proof of identity and the details of what they are requesting so they can't turn round and be insulted or claim you are being unreasonable.

I think businesses would have a valid claim to not want to make such a cake as it would give their business a bad name: e.g. "racist cake supplied by xyx cakes ltd".

Turn the tables - once you have their ID and request post it online.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit