Rich-o-meter ... how rich are you? (and some shocking stats)

by Simon 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

In the United States, which supports a LOT of third world countries, our taxpayers pay at least 11% of their income. We don't see any economic benefit from supplying alot of the modern world with subsidies for food, health, and infrastructure development. My rate is 28% of my income. However, the poorer classes get to keep most of their income and are taxed at a rate of around 5%. One-third of my income goes for benefits for the poorer classes of America, and I can't draw ANY benefit from it unless I was to become really poor. On top of that, I have to pay 100% of my health premiums, 100% of my food, and 100% of my clothing and shelter. I can't get HUD housing (cheap housing), because I make too much money, even though I pay into it. I can't get WIC (WOmen, Infants and Children benefits). I can't get welfare, because I make too much money, but yet I am asked to supply those benefits, via the American government, for people that don't make as much money as I do. And they say that the rich keep getting richer? They are UPSET that there is a big divide between the rich and the poor? The top 10% of earners in the USA pay most of the taxes.

I have no problem putting in 28% of my income, but I hate the hell outta it when everyone complains. That is ONE THIRD of my income. I am tired of people throwing out their hands and saying someone else owes them a living, when they are perfectly capable of working and making their own living. If they want to be rich, well, they are as able as anyone else alive to get up and get those $. I don't care who you are. You can be black, white, rich, poor, there *is* a way to do it, and most of our immigrant forebears showed us how, if only we'd look at them and follow their ways. So.. quit bitchin on the rich. They either got their money through inheritance, or they earned it.....

CG

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I have immigrant parents, and I learned how to work hard for your money. We were never ever rich, I suppose we were quite poor actually, but I never knew it because my mother had a remarkable way of making us feel and appear rich with very little.

I personally have a very big sore spot for people who milk the system and have a "welfare mentality". I think it's natural for people to fall on hard times, that's what our government aid is supposed to be used for. Not to be exploited. And I agree with you in that regard 100% Country Girl

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Thanks Chevy..... that means alot to me. I just get tired of people complaining about how the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. It's because of the apathetic mentality of the American people that this happens, and they can't blame it on anyone but themselves! I get tired of people being politically correct. They're so scared to even open their mouth, that if the government told them to say the moon was red, they'd say it.

I have a story.. okay okay.. I know how ya'll feel about my stories. I was at an apostofest once, and one of the girls said that her friend was coming to the apostofest and we'd recognize her because she looked like a "big bull dyke." Well, that immediately brings a vision to mind, so we were all looking for this person. We all knew what she meant. She didn't mean it offensively, but as a description. Someone just looked at us and said "I find that VERY offensive." Oh god... Were we to look for a very small feminine person? Nooooo... a BULL DYKE. We all *know* what that means and what we were to look for. It didn't mean we thought anything less, just that that was the description. OH good God.. it makes me mad thinking about it. However, when the chick walked in, we all knew exactly who she was. I wouldn't be offended if someone said "Look for the big fat wild child with the dark skin and long hair." That's ME! I could easily get offended if someone called me a wild child, or fat, or the person with the dark skin. But I don't. Cuz that is what I am. If I was one shade darker, I'd be black. I don't find offense with that. I am not an "African American" which I find fairly funny... and so do the neighbors around here since they are black and are NOT from Africa. In fact, they find it fairly stupid to call them African Americans since they weren't born in Africa, and they never met anyone who was. HAHHAHHHAHAHAH. They are Americans, just like me!

The problem is with labels. We have several labels for people, and we just gotta quit that nonsense. Everyone born here is American, we're all Americans. If we are born here, we are AMERICAN. It doesn't friggin matter if we're black, white, green grey or whatever.. if we are born here, we are AMERICANS, and that is what we are.

We're all in this together.. and it's about damn time that we stop all that nonsese.

CG

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

*shakes head at CG*

*sings c'mon and start a revoluuuuuutiooooooon weeeeeellll ya know' *

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

we all want to save the world........

but then crazy whips out his peeeeeeeeeeeeeeenis and weeeeeeeeell ya know

he starts doin all the all the girls......

*doh* wrong song

• talesin
    talesin

Crazy

I love your passion, your freshness, the way you can go on a rant, and I never feel insulted or put-down whatsoever.

Here's a rebuttal, and I don't expect agreement, but it's a few of my thoughts. :D

Actually that has worked before. Its called communism.

Nope. I'm not talking communism. (nor did I mean welfare, CG hon). The cost of goods in our society imo has risen much more quickly than salaries. In real life, not some inflation index. I see no reason why hard-working people need to live in ghettos, and have no health care, etc. while others have so much wealth that they have gold bathroom fixtures and multiple luxurious homes with many, many rooms that lay empty.

I'm thinking a more balanced system, our system is not free, it is controlled by a very few large conglomerates.

As an example, think about factory farms. Our homelands have been taken over. The small farmers have mostly been put out of business. I think that is inarguable. We've all seen stories about the loss of the family farms. Imagine if we had small farms set up around the cities, and we ate local meat and produce, instead of having things shipped in from wherever.

And what about Walmart driving all the small stores out of business, and why? In the name of profit and because the small businesses can't compete. They simply cannot.

Define living wage

Let's not talk burger flippers then. Let's start off with teachers. Talked to any teachers lately? The ones I know are waaayyy underpaid, considering they hold our future in the palms of their hands. That is what I mean by 'equitable'. Why do shady, sleazy businessmen like Kenneth Lay and Bill Gates get to be so filthy rich? Filthy being the operative word, imo. Daycare workers are also underpaid, at least here. Oh yes, another group who takes care of our children, our future.

Why shouldn't the guy/gal who works 40 hours a week cleaning up our shyte, clerking in a store, flipping burgers, being a rent-a-cop, repairing roofs, and countless other jobs that pay far too little to thrive, make enough to afford a modest home and working vehicle? And have her/his spouse stay HOME if they want and be a full-time parent? Sounds more than fair to me.

If everyone could afford a home and a nice car doing unskilled work then NO ONE would go to college

No, this is not true. People would choose to study in areas that interest them, instead of feeling obligated to choose a profession where they could make the most amount of money, and thereby justify the expense of a college degree. Then, they wouldn't have to spend the first 10 years of their careers paying off a huge debt.

Hell, even the doctors are going broke here - they can't afford to set up a practice anymore! I dated a doctor a couple of years ago. He was just starting out. Had lots of scholarships, still he owed about $100,000 when he finished school. His starting salary was $150,000/year. Sounds like a lot, right? Now, take out the money he will have to borrow to start his practice, pay office staff, equipment, etc. etc.

There are many professions. Lots of room for everyone to have a job or profession they could actually enjoy. Some people actually go to school to learn, not just to see how much fortune they can amass.

When I think of the possibilities of an utopian society, I think of (now don't laugh too hard, kay?) Star Trek. The concept of riches, and money, is no longer meaningful in that futuristic vision of the world. All types of work are valued, not just those that carry prestige in our shallow society.

It's just one of my dreams, that's all. I know you probably think it is a pipe dream, and it probably is, but that's okay. I'm allowed to dream.

The whole system is rotten. Capitalism spells, imo, 'dog-eat-dog'. That is how we describe it, is it not? It's a dog-eat-dog world, live with it. Well, no thanks, I'm not a dog, and have no desire to be a predator and metaphorically eat the poor so that I can live in the lap of luxury.

I think that the movie Escape from L.A. portrays an accurate, if somewhat lurid and exaggerated, picture of where we are headed.

tal

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Talesin thanks for a candid and well thought out post. You do make a great point with this comment. I absolutely agree. If I could make the same amount of money as I make now, doing what I really love I absolutely would have. Instead I chose to be educated in a field that I dont feel passionatley about, but had potential for money. Guess you could call me a sell out :)

People would choose to study in areas that interest them, instead of feeling obligated to choose a profession where they could make the most amount of money, and thereby justify the expense of a college degree. Then, they wouldn't have to spend the first 10 years of their careers paying off a huge debt.
  • imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup
    Do you think the same work would have paid off so well in north-west China. Are you American? I don't mean to be blunt, but you're probably "self-made" to the the detriment of displaced and murdered natives, and with the help of bunches of slain white soldiers.

Gee, A Paduan,

I really feel shitty now. I'm going to ask God tonight if I can start my life over, and starting tomorrow morning, I promise to only accept jobs which pay $2.00 per month US for the rest of my life just so I don't piss anyone off for having too much money which apparently I should feel guilty for EARNING. I mean, everyone knows that it is certainly better to live off the rich guy who has NO RIGHT to any money, especially when he EARNED it himself! That is what you are suggesting, isn't it? That I should just pack up everything I have worked for and sell it so the guy who never had any breaks in life can have another 50 cents per month to live on?

And if that isn't good enough for ya, I'll ask for Wish No. 2 and ask him if it is okay if I just sit on my ass until the day I die and allow my government, and/or rich benefactors to support me. Yeah. That ought to fix all the world's problems right there!

growedup

P.S. If neither of these solutions work for you, could you kindly suggest one that would?

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Hippies, hippies... they want to save the world but all they do is smoke pot and play frisbee!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

See the thing is, I wanted to save the world, had every intention. Then I smoked to much weed and and I got lazy and forgot I wanted to save the world

'I was gonna start a revolution, but then I got hiiiiiiigh' lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit