Rich-o-meter ... how rich are you? (and some shocking stats)

by Simon 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

First of all, see how rich you are here:
    http://www.channel4.com/4money/funnymoney/richometer/index.html

Chances are, you will be in the top 1% or 2% on the planet.

Now, consider this:

The world's 225 richest people now have a combined wealth of $1 trillion. That's equal to the combined annual income of the world's 2.5 billion poorests people.

Three billion people live on less than $2 per day while 1.3 billion get by on less than $1 per day. Seventy percent of those living on less than $1 per day are women.

Three decades ago, the people in well-to-do countries were 30 times better off than those in countries where the poorest 20 percent of the world's people live. By 1998, this gap had widened to 82 times.

Microsoft CEO Bill Gates has more wealth than the bottom 45 percent of American households combined.

Global poverty is concentrated in South Asia, where half of the world's poor live. Another quarter live in sub-Saharan Africa, while one quarter live in East Asia, mainly China.

In 1973, the income of the top 20 percent of American families was 7.5 times that of the bottom 20 percent. By 1996, it was 13 times.

Business Week reports that in 1999 top executives earned 419 times the average wage of a blue-collar worker, up from 326:1 in 1998. In 1980, the ratio was 42:1.

http://www.channel4.com/4money/funnymoney/richometer/who_ww.html

The haves and the have-mores ... the rich and the getting-richer.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Funny, I don't feel so rich. It must be the high cost of living.

Maybe I should sell off my assets and retire in some third world country.

Walter

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Hey, that graph doesn't have a negative scale!!!!

Bull!

• morty
    morty

I am with you on this one Walter....If I am so rich, where the hell is all my $$$$ going??

It has to be, to the kids......I dont even own a house for god sakes, and have the bank dipping into my account every week.....

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I'm on the Poor-O-Meter......

My husband should have married a rich, no a wealthy woman!

• Simon
    Simon

Does anyone think such inequality is sustainable?

It is happening on two levels - us vs the rest of the world and rich executives vs us.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

The rich executives are trying to make us like the rest of the world. Extinction of the middle class. Our options are to either overthrow them or become one of them. I don't know how to do either one, so I'll probably end up like the rest of the world.

Walter

• donkey
    donkey

none

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    Rich-o-meter results for the UK:

You are in the 9.49% richest people in the UK.

There are 5,485,979 people richer than you.

There are 52,314,021 people poorer than you. What you earn:

Per year: £30,000
    Per day: £171.43
    Per hour: £21.43
    Per minute: £0.36
    Per second: £0.006

I dont work. And sometimes we still have problems. I dont see how 30,000 a year is rich?

• donkey
    donkey

none

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit