What religious groups do the jws draw most converts from?

by badboy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

What % of converts are former RC/LUTHER/BAPTIST etc etc?

• dh
    dh

i don't think it's any particular religious group they attract, i think it's more like depressed lonely single people. ironic that more often than not it's depressed lonely single people who leave as well, or get kicked.

• blondie
    blondie

Because Catholics are the largest Christian group, most JWs tend to be ex-Catholics.

Blondie

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

What? I thought all JW's used to be crack addicts who have seen the light and changed their ways...

Oh, wait, no, I must have read too much of last year's Watchtower Calendar with all those before/after pictures.

I don't know what religious group most hail from... that is an interesting question, though! I wonder if they keep track?

SLM

• logansrun
    logansrun

In my area (NW Chicago) it is Catholic, hands down. Not only is there a very large population of Catholics, but most of them KNOW NOTHING about the Bible whatsoever. The JWs come to their door, impress them with a flurry of cherry-picked scriptures and the rest is history.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Bradley

• Gopher
    Gopher

In our area, the Spanish-speaking congregations of JW's are experiencing the growth, the other congregations are stagnant or declining.

Since a lot of the Spanish speaking people come from predominantly Catholic nations, it seems that the majority of new JW's here (and perhaps in much of America) are ex-Catholics.

• shamus
    shamus
    i think it's more like depressed lonely single people.

That's me! I wholeheartedly agree there.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Most established religions such as Baptists and Penticostals regularly invite speakers to their churches to refute JWs. Another barren territory are the "informed", religious or otherwise. Any internet search for JWs will squelch initial interest. Because of this quick information source US and Europe have become almost impossible to convert. In fact, over 90% of new USA baptised members are actually JW youth raised in the religion!!

On the other hand, on third world is the "new world", with old Catholic colonies and lack of modern information resources, makes easy picking for recruiters.

Note: in the Service Meeting this week training for "conversation stoppers" for those who say "I have my own religion" the "sister" in my congregation actually said "We are not here to actively recruit members" (!!) This is not an official statement, but notice what the Reasoning Book suggests:

? ?I agree that in this matter each person must make his own decision. (But not after you join us) But did you know that God himself is looking for a certain kind of people to be his true worshipers? (Nieve and vulnerable, I mean "sheeplike" and teachable) Notice here at John 4:23, 24. What would it mean to worship God "with truth"? . . . (The truth is what we tell you) What has God given us to help us to know what is true and what is not? . . . (John 17:17) (To the Governing Body: Your bond is your word) And notice how important it is to us personally. (Give up your worries for a euphoric fantasy, everything will be fixed in Paradise) (John 17:3)?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

high growth still latin america, mexico, brazil -- all Roman Cathloic -- no question -- without doubt Islam is the lowest

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

without doubt Islam is the lowest

Converting to the dubs would be pretty redundant for them--they've got it all right there: control, opression of women, belief that anyone who isn't of their faith will get whacked (well, Islamofascists give God a little help with the task).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit