insight into human behavior-the famous stanford prison experiment revisited

by Realist 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

One wonder's why it is repeated, the results I mean...one would think, given what's been written here, that all prison guards would devolve into animals.

Got any salt?

• Realist
    Realist

yeru,

One wonder's why it is repeated, the results I mean...one would think, given what's been written here, that all prison guards would devolve into animals.

Got any salt?

??? what are you talking about ???

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Guess I forgot a word, here is how it should have read.

One wonder's why it isnot repeated, the results I mean...one would think, given what's been written here, that all prison guards would devolve into animals.

How's the chocolate sauce today?

• Xena
    Xena
    yes harming people is a problem...but one has to weigh the benefits to the harm caused. in this case i think the benefits were outweighing the harm by far.

now that is an interesting comment....one has to wonder if you would feel the same if the harm was inflicted on someone close to you.

• Realist
    Realist

yeru,

i recommend you read the second link i posted. it explains the experiment in detail.

xena,

one always has to weigh the benefit compared to the inflicted harm.

the harm done by the milgram experiment is in my opinion more than justified considering the gain in knowledge.

and yes if it would have been a relative of mine who was assigned a prisoner in the stanford experiment than i might be pissed depending on how traumatic the experience was for him.

• patio34
    patio34

Well Professor Zimbardi is back in the news, with the Iraqi situation. He was on one of the news programs with Stone Phillips last night and here's a column in yesterday's news:

• Realist
    Realist

pat,

thank you for the link!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit