One of the stupider laws I've encountered.

by logansrun 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Well here's a little sumptin that happened to me years ago on the subject of booze and legal age and all that stuff.

Years ago I used to work in a Mall when I was 17. I looked like I was about 22. Seeing as the drinking age in Ontario is 19, I had no problem whatsoever buying booze under age for me an' all my buddies. Anyway, I hated the job I had and it only paid about $5.00/hr. Seeing as the Liquor Store is run by the government, it pays very well. I got to know the manager and a couple of the cashiers there and at one point they all encouraged me to apply for a job opening. The pay at that time was $12.25/hr to start plus benefits so I would have been making over DOUBLE what I was in my crappy job.

As I'm sure you guessed by now, I couldn't apply because they'd see on the application that I was underage and I don't think they would have been too happy to find out they had been serving a minor all those months. I had to bite my tongue and tell them I "wasn't really interested in the job."

This is called Karma comin' home ta get ya.

• toota
    toota

I was 'carded' at a supermarket a few months ago before buying a pack of cigarettes. The guy in front of me was obviously younger than I and was carded, so to keep the discriminatory screamers at bay, I'm sure, the clerk asked for my I.D. The guy who was just carded and still putting his I.D. away, laughed and said I should be flattered. I said "I don't like being patronized." So I must've looked like the sort who might file a discrimination suit? Good grief!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit