One of the stupider laws I've encountered.

by logansrun 21 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

Because of these under 30 signs, I get carded and it makes me go wild!!!!!!!!

I am the kissing wild woman!

• Aikon
    Aikon

O.K. You Yanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is all this " CARDED " about?????????????

Is this some form of identity or what????????????????

Looked up in the ENGLISH dictionary and can not find it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So please be kind enough to post in English.

Thanks

Aikon

• exjdub
    exjdub

O.K. You Yanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is all this " CARDED " about?????????????

Is this some form of identity or what????????????????

Looked up in the ENGLISH dictionary and can not find it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So please be kind enough to post in English.

Thanks

Aikon

Aikon, "Carded" is indeed an identity issue. Because the drinking age in most states is 21 years of age, when you go to the checkout counter at the store or the liquor store they ask to see your license, which has your birthdate on it. The license is the "card" so if you are asked for your license...you are being "carded". Just another slang term to confuse our friends over the ocean! exjdub

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

Aussie's can drink legally at 18. Aussies can also drive before that too (without attending lessons in school - which we don't have).

• Simon
    Simon

I got asked for proof if ID once in Tesco ... I had a beard at the time and could not pass for under 30, never mind under 20. Not only that I was paying by Credit Card ... which last time I checked weren't handed out to kids !

Makes me laugh all the daft rules they come up with though to avoid being sued ... what a silly society !

• blondie
    blondie
    Aussies can also drive before that too (without attending lessons in school - which we don't have).

Upandatom, do you have to take a written and driving test? People here don't have to attend lessons in a school unless they are under 18 (and they need their parents permission). If you are 18 or older, you just have to pass the written and driving tests.

I can understand the thought behind checking people at a much older age than the 21 age requirement, just as Jim pointed out above, people at 18 can look 26. Several actors are over 25 but playing characters in high school.

I was 18 during the time it was legal to drink at that age. But with many HS students turing 18 while still in school, it was upped to 19 and with the binge drinking in colleges, upped to 21 (not that it stops the binge drinking).

I grew up in Europe and you can get beer in vending machines.

My grandfather always said you can't legislate morality.

Blondie (from an area where drinking is considered a right of passage)

• Xena
    Xena

The sign doesn't bother me much...although I do agree it is stupid, why not just say we card anyone we feel might possibly be underage no matter how old they look..what bothers me is if I have someone with me in line who is under 21 they won't sell liquor to me. The assumption is I am going to give it to them. Now that totally pisses me off!

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Because the drinking age in most states is 21 years of age,

The drinking age varied between 18 and 21 throughout the USA until the 1980s, when 21 became federal law imposed upon all 50 states.

To the Brits: as noted above by exjdub, the Card is the License ... but it is the Driver's License that is meant. However, some people do not drive, so they usually carry an ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles in their State of residence.

Oddly enough, all it takes to get a license, besides passing the driver exam, is to produce a birth certificate. Years ago you could buy a birth certificate at the stationary store for a few cents, and fill it out. So, States now require a "certified" copy from the recorders office of your County of residence.

• Simon
    Simon
    what bothers me is if I have someone with me in line who is under 21 they won't sell liquor to me. The assumption is I am going to give it to them. Now that totally pisses me off!

LOL, I remember being sent across to the off-license to buy some sherry when I was at my grandma's ... I guess they didn't think a 9 year old drank that sort of thing !

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Where I live, they card pretty much everybody anymore.

A few months ago, when I was still a smoker, I popped into a gas station to buy a pack of ciggies. The attendant asked for my driver's license, and proceeded to swipe it through this thingy that was beside the cash register! (Ohio driver's licenses have a magnetic strip on the back like a credit card.) I couldn't believe it! Talk about feeling like Big Brother was watching me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit