So what exactly IS an apostate?

by somebodylovesme 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fleur
    Fleur

"...renegade"

you know, i like that better than apostate. it's almost as good as "scoundrel"...

hey, i'd rather be called just about anything than a "good upstanding JW!"

and you're so right, the big A word is just like any other slur. Something people throw at you when they run into a brick wall with their arguement.

~fleur

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

OSAMA BIN LADEN ON APOSTATES: Osama say's kill 'apostates'. The Latest "Osama bin Laden" Tape: Archive Entry From Brad ... ... of an audio message purported to be by al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, broadcast on ... kill the Muslims in Iraq, should know that they are apostates and outside ... www.j-bradford-delong.net/movable_type/2003_archives THE WATCHTOWER ON APOSTATES:

Compare the Watchtower with Bin laden...."We are not living today among theocratic nations where such members of our fleshly family relationship could be """""exterminated for apostasy""""" from God and his theocratic organization, as was possible and was ordered in the nation of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai and in the land of Palestine.{{{{ "Thou shalt surely kill him;}}}}} thy hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

And thou shalt stone him to death with stones, because he hath sought to draw thee away from Jehovah thy God, . . . And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is in the midst of thee."-Deut. 13:6-11, AS."

"Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws." "The law of the land and forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be me.

A partial quote of the Watchtowers view on 'apostates'.LOL

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme
    There used to be a difference (in dubdom) between Opposers (non baptised) and apostates (baptised). I think the term is used much more broadly now, as Six refers to, as a catch-all derogatory word to include any person not in agreement.

Frighteningly enough, let me try to think like a dub/the Society for a minute. I am guessing that a broader application would be useful because it would go to show the reality of the "end times"? If EVERYONE who doesn't agree with the Society is therefore AGAINST them - apostates - then wouldn't that advance the idea that the world's going to, I don't know, explode in a ball of fire tomorrow?

Little Witch - Thanks for the link. Just goes to affirm how dangerous and divisive the Society is.

Danny - "maddening envy"? Oh, brother ... I'm sure all the ex-JWs are weeping that they don't get to read out loud the most boring magazines every week... The handful of meetings I went to told me I didn't want to do THAT very often.

The Outside World is Evil. Sigh.

SLM
    who thinks the world should all sing in perfect harmony

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

http://www.dannyhaszard.com/apostate.htm Apostates ,Apostasy, Apostate Baiting Apostate Baiting is a Judicial committee assault tactic,where your loyalty is grilled for any signs of 'independent thinking'. It's a similar 3rd degree sleaze tactic as the familiar,Nazi Jew Baiting,geek baiting,nerd baiting,or red baiting... The Watchtower's Biblical basis for the,'Eternal Damnation' of said apostates':Matthew 12 31 And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. Disagreement with the kangaroo court JC decision to disfellowship you is considered,"a Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit". Further support for, the Watchtowers 'damnation' of apostates,is based on this passage:Hebrews 10 26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the "Truth", no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God" This,"consuming raging fire",is where the,"maddening envy" of said apostates, in my prior post comes in.It also presupposes that the Watchtower religion is the,"Truth". [ Danny sez: apostate baiting, "like patriotisim,it's the last refuge of the scoundrel''.

Quote adapted from, Samuel Johnson 19th century english critic]

Learn more:

Eight Marks of a Mind-Control Cult

by Randall Watters http://www.freeminds.org/psych/lifton.htm

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

somebodylovesme said:

Confused -- Yeah, that is the line, isn't it? Fortunately, my hubby's family follows that... but most of the people he grew up with shun him for being inactive and for marrying me, a worldly girl.

Here is the link to jw-media FAQ which says former members aren't shunned

http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/beliefsfaq.htm

So if asked the members of the cong that shun you husband would say that they are simply "watching their association" because *all together now* "bad association spoils useful habits"

• little witch
    little witch

BTTT for more help for SLM.

• Room 215
    Room 215

As with many other things, the WTBTS definition of ``apostate," ``apostacy," etc. is notoriously self-serving and therefore variable according to their priorities of the moment; in any case it has little-to-nothing to do with the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit