So what exactly IS an apostate?

by somebodylovesme 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby
    Jehovah's Witnesses use the word "apostate" in almost exactly the same way racist use the word "nigger".

Yeah......both groups have about the same hatred.....only one group will actually kill over their hatred.

Gumby

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Grows -- wow, that is quite an entry - thanks!

Confused -- Yeah, that is the line, isn't it? Fortunately, my hubby's family follows that... but most of the people he grew up with shun him for being inactive and for marrying me, a worldly girl.

Very interesting stuff.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I have been told by JWs that ANYBODY - former JWs, current JWs, or never-been JWs - is an apostate if they try to weaken the faith of the brothers and sisters.. See, the great thing about being a JW is you don't ever have to look anything up in the dictionary, because the Society will tell you all you need to know about every little thing.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Farkel's " Handy JW 'Apostate' Glossary "

"Apostate" - the most evil word in the JW lexicon. Worse than Satan, worse than demons. Say the word, and watch real TERROR well up in the eyes of a JW. (See "Internet")

"Internet" - hiding out place for demons and apostates.

www.m-w.com
    Main Entry: apos·ta·sy
    Pronunciation: &-'päs-t&-sE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -sies

Etymology: Middle English apostasie, from Late Latin apostasia, from Greek, literally, revolt, from phistasthai to revolt, from apo- + histasthai to stand -- more at STAND

1 : renunciation of a religious faith
    2 : abandonment of a previous loyalty : DEFECTION

Apostacywww.britannica.com
    the total rejection of Christianity by a baptized person who, having at one time professed the faith, publicly rejects it. It is distinguished from heresy, which is limited to the rejection of one or more Christian doctrines by one who maintains an overall adherence to Jesus Christ.

Apologetics Index
    An apostate is someone who abandons a previous loyalty (to a faith, movement, political party, etcetera).

Aid to Bible Understanding (highlighting added)
    APOSTACY (Gr., a.po.sta.si?a) This term in Greek comes from the verb a.phi?ste.mi and means, literally, ?a standing away from? but has the sense of ?desertion, abandonment or rebellion.? In classical Greek it was used to refer to political defection, and the verb is evidently employed in this sense at Actd 5:37, concerning Judas the Galilean who ?drew off? (a.pe?ste.se, form of a.phi?ste.mi) followers. The Greek Septuagint uses the term at Genesis 14:4 with reference to such a rebellion. However, in the Christian Greek Scripture it is used primarily with regard to religious defection; a withdrawal or abandonment of the true cause, worship and service of God, and hence an abandonment of what one has previously professed and a total desertion of principles or faith. The religious leaders of Jerusalem charged Paul with such an apostacy against the Mosaic law. - Acts 21:21.

It may properly be said that God?s adversary was the first apostate, as indicated by the name ?Satan.? He caused the first human pair to apostasize. (Gen. 3; John 8:44) Following the Flood there was a turning away from the words of the God of Noah. (Gen. 11:1-9) Job later found it necessary to defend himself against the charge of apostacy on the part of his three supposed comforters. (Job 8:13; 15:34; 20:5) In his defence Job showed that God grants no audience to the apostate (13:16), also, the hopeless state of one cut off in apostacy. (27:8; compare also Elihu?s statement at 34:27, 30; 36:13.) In these cases the Hebrew word hha.neph? is used, meaning ?to be alienated from God? or ?inclined away from the right relation to God,? or, as a verb, ?to pollute, lead to apostacy.? - Koehler-Baumgartner, Liexicon in Veteris Testamenti Libros, p. 317.

JGnat's Observation
    Any challenge to the Faithful and Discreet Slaves's authority is considered apostate. Often used as an adverb, as in, "That is apostate thinking." Any challenge, labelled apostate, may be ignored by a Jehovah's Witness.

• little witch
    little witch

Jgnat,

How interesting! According to the Aid for Bible Understanding, "apostacy" can be leveled at the most devout of christians! And incorrectly!

There used to be a difference (in dubdom) between Opposers (non baptised) and apostates (baptised). I think the term is used much more broadly now, as Six refers to, as a catch-all derogatory word to include any person not in agreement.

• shotgun
    shotgun

From what I can tell...there are approximately 6 million active apostates who reject their former beliefs laid out by the fathful and discreet slave C.T Russell..wait I mean J.F Rutherford....wait I mean Homer Simpson...

An apostate is a word they use to label dissenters....but it is just a label.

• little witch
    little witch

Somebody,

Check out this link

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040411/DOCTRINE6/40410017

You will notice that in almost all instances, it refers to a "disfellowshipped" person. (meaning a baptised witness who leaves the faith)

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Apostate is defined in an ordinary dictionary as; 'A devout believer,turned destroyer".That's exactly what I am.

The Watchtower's loaded language lingo definition is: ( get this ) "..someone who has left the 'truth' and because of 'maddening envy' hates his former brothers..."

Give me a break man,....I'am not envious of them,I just want my money back.

The,"Apostate with an Attitude" www.DannyHaszard.com

{When i was an active JW under Watchtower mind control indoctrination. My first impressions of the 'apostate' was of a haughty stupid buffoon, who 'comes on down outta the mountain' to lead and be boss } I've learned the real deal.Hail the apostate heros!]

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I replied:

I thought of a short WT definition of "Apostate". It is a word they use to smear anyone who says something true that they do not want to hear.

on this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/34271/1.ashx

I also said:

The Concise Oxford Dictionary defines apostasy as

1 Renunciation of a belief or faith, esp. religious

2 abandonment of principles or of a party

3 an instance of apostasy

And apostate as

a person who renounces a former belief, adherence etc.

The root of the word is APO- Away from, and -STAT stand.

So as link rightly pointed out, all JW's that converted from other religions are apostate to their former belief. This is a word, like "Truth", that has been hijacked by the WTBTS and imbued with all sorts of overtones and associations not present in its correct meaning. They have turned "apostate" into meaning some sort of bogeyman, a bit like FredHall's picture.

It is an excellent mechanism for stopping JW's from considering opposing viewpoints and arguments.

I remember how well conditioned I still was some years after I had escaped the bOrg. As I entered sites in the "Jehovahs Witnesses - Opposing Views" category, my heart was pounding - this was APOSTATE!!! Glad I found you all!!

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

The Evolution of the 'Evil Slave'. The precursor to the Watchtower's, 'Apostate' is the abominable, ''Evil Slave''.. I've been in the JW cult since 1957 so my exposure is historical.In the parable of the Evil slave,the Evil slave protagonist did something to deem him evil. What did he do? He presumptuously set a date, in order for him to say;"my master is delaying..." HELLO! It was Zions Watchtower that set the date,[1914] Everything about the WT$ ivory tower dogma is twisted.The,'dirty little Evil Slave' bogeyman got burned out over time......Eventually,evolved into the 'dirty little apostate'. The first time I remember the introduction of new hate slur,was at the district convention circa 1979. Think about this,,when was the last time you remember hearing dire warnings about the Evil Slave?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit