WT to "donators" take your money back, please

by benext 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• benext
    benext

I had an interesting conversation this weekend with an elderly sister. She told me about a letter she received from WT not more than a month ago. It seems they had a program in place where they would "hold" money that would be used in the event of your death to pay funeral arrangements. The letter stated she would have to take this money ($2,500) back due to the IRS and tax consequences. Another sister was told if she didn't ask for her $1,500 back it would have to be kept by the Society.

This is the first I've heard of that "loving provision."

• Scully
    Scully

I've heard about another person receiving a letter of this nature, although it was not related to prepaying funeral expenses (what the heck?? funeral expenses for people who are going to survive Armageddon which is coming real soon now??? )

At least now this lady can use her money and get some legitimate funeral services if that's what she wants to do.

It's nice to see the IRS doing its job in this instance, you can bet that the WTS would not return a thin dime unless there was compelling reason for them to do so.

Love, Scully

• Ailla
    Ailla

I knew a sister that donated $3000.00 to the WT. A couple years her husband, who is not a JW, found out about it and he was very angry. She asked them for the money back and they gave it to her.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I wonder if it was something like this .

......................................................................................................................

w00

11/1 Riches of Generosity Bring Joy ***

Ways

in Which Some Choose to Give

CONTRIBUTIONS

TO THE WORLDWIDE WORK

Many set aside, or budget, an amount that they place in the contribution boxes labeled "Contributions for the Society?s Worldwide Work?Matthew 24:14." Each month congregations forward these amounts either to the world headquarters in Brooklyn, New York, or to the local branch office.

Voluntary donations of money may also be sent directly to the Treasurer?s Office, Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, 25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, New York 11201-2483, or to the Society?s office that serves your country. Jewelry or other valuables may be donated as well. A brief letter stating that such is an outright gift should accompany these contributions.

CONDITIONAL-DONATION

ARRANGEMENT

Money may be given to the Watch Tower Society under a special arrangement in which, should the donor have a personal need, the donation may be returned to him. For more information, please contact the Treasurer?s Office at the address noted above.

CHARITABLE

PLANNING

In addition to outright gifts of money and conditional donations of money, there are other methods of giving to benefit Kingdom service worldwide. These include:

Insurance: The Watch Tower Society may be named as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or in a retirement/pension plan.

Bank Accounts: Bank accounts, certificates of deposit, or individual retirement accounts may be placed in trust for or made payable on death to the Watch Tower Society, in accord with local bank requirements.

Stocks and Bonds: Stocks and bonds may be donated to the Watch Tower Society as an outright gift.

Real Estate: Salable real estate may be donated to the Watch Tower Society either by making an outright gift or by reserving a life estate to the donor, who can continue to live therein during his or her lifetime. One should contact the Society before deeding any real estate to the Society.

Wills and Trusts: Property or money may be bequeathed to the Watch Tower Society by means of a legally executed will, or the Society may be named as a beneficiary of a trust agreement. A trust benefiting a religious organization may provide certain tax advantages.

As the term "charitable planning" implies, these types of donations typically require some planning on the part of the donor. To assist individuals desiring to benefit the Society through some form of charitable planning, the Society has prepared a brochure in English and Spanish entitled Charitable Planning to Benefit Kingdom Service Worldwide. The brochure was written in response to the many inquiries the Society has received regarding gifts, wills, and trusts. It also contains additional useful information on estate, financial, and tax planning. And it is designed to help individuals in the United States who are planning to make a special gift to the Society now or to leave a bequest at death to select the most advantageous and efficient method in the light of their family and personal circumstances. This brochure may be obtained by requesting a copy directly from the Charitable Planning Office.

After reading the brochure and conferring with the Charitable Planning Office, many have been able to assist the Society and at the same time, maximize the tax benefits of doing so. The Charitable Planning Office should be informed of and receive a copy of any relevant document pertaining to any of these arrangements. If you are interested in any of these charitable planning arrangements, you should contact the Charitable Planning Office, either in writing or by telephone, at the address listed below or at the Society?s office that serves your country.

CHARITABLE PLANNING OFFICE

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania

100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563-9204

Telephone: (845) 306-070

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of course they claim not to solicit money.

"! As early as the second issue of the Watch Tower, in August 1879, Brother Russell stated: "?Zion?s Watch Tower? has, we believe, JEHOVAH for its backer, and while this is the case it will never beg nor petition men for support. When He who says: ?All the gold and silver of the mountains are mine,? fails to provide necessary funds, we will understand it to be time to suspend the publication." Consistent with that, there is no begging for money in the literature of Jehovah?s Witnesses.

What is true of their literature is also true of their meetings. There are no emotional appeals for funds in their congregations or at their conventions. No collection plates are passed; no envelopes in which to put money are distributed; no letters of solicitation are sent to congregation members. Congregations never resort to bingo or raffles to raise funds. As early as 1894, when the Watch Tower Society sent out traveling speakers, it published this notice for the benefit of everyone: "Let it be understood from the first that collections or other solicitations of money are neither authorized nor approved by this Society."

That is the Proclaimers book page 340

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

There it is again... the WTS would rather give up money than pay Taxes on it. I keep seeing them do this. This is why they went to the "donation arrangement"... they did not want to have to pay taxes on the products they sold. This is why they drug out that court case in France.... they did not want to pay taxes like all the other minor religions.

Does anyone have any idea why they have such an aversion to paying taxes?

• Quotes
    Quotes

Elsewhere, its funny you should say this. Just today I read CH.3 of "Bushwacked" which talks about how wrong it is that the richest people and corps in America frequently pay NO tax.

The chapter leaves you feeling pretty angry at these freeloaders, who don't give back to the society that gave them their opportunity in the first place.

The WitchPower Babble & Trick Society is one of these freeloaders: happy to base operations in the "land of the free" but unwilling to help fund same.

I look forward to the day when the American gov't realizes this and comes down on them.

• Atilla
    Atilla

Who doesn't have an aversion to paying taxes? I do wonder though if they were to start paying taxes and go back their old accounting methods of charging for things, if they would be better off financially in the long run? However, they probably just want to be taken as a serious religion, one that doesn't pay taxes.

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, I think churches and religiouns should be subject to taxation like all other businesses. They are all money-grubbers, imho.

And especially the WTBTS, just because.

elsewhere

Well, of course they don't want to pay taxes. After all, their government is by Jehover! Why should they 'render to Caesar' any more than they have to? All they do is go on and on about the riches of the Catholic Church, ooohooooh they are SOOOOOOO much more evil !

talesin

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I do wonder though if they were to start paying taxes and go back their old accounting methods of charging for things, if they would be better off financially in the long run?

I have been wondering the very same thing. It seems like they would be able to bring in far more money by simply selling the products and paying the needed sales tax.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit