hi everyone first time posting

by prgirl 26 Replies latest social relationships

• prgirl
    prgirl

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the posts for a while now, and it has really helped. I wasn't sure if i should post, but I have been so touched reading about other peoples experiences that I wanted to share mine. I was never raised JW. I met my ex boyfriend 5 years ago. We broke up four months ago. He was raised a JW all his life. He is one of 6 kids was baptized at the age of 12. He was disfellowshipped at the age of 17 for premartial sex. I thought that if we loved each other we could work out our differences. His parents are still and always will be in the "truth". He still lives at home, and to me has never moved on. From the beginning I always felt like something was wrong. He would tell me JWs beliefs, tell me how he was raised, and i decided to research it for myself. I could never understand how shunning was okay. I was bothered when I went to the memorial, and they acted as if he didn't exist. I started researching, and felt even more that this was all wrong. The division it causes in families, shunning, education, blood and the list goes on. He read the boook Crisis of Concience, and I was hoping it would help. He would tell me he wouldn't go back, but he really has never moved on. I was the only friend he had. He never bothered to make friends after he was disfellowshipped. When other witnesses were at the house we would call me constantly. I think he still believes a lot in the "truth" and feels he is doomed. During the course of our relationship he never went to birthdays, wedding etc with me, but yet he would ask me to go to the memorial or his family functions! I now see that relationships like these don't work. I am learning to accept I cannot get him out of this. He will have to find his way out. I must live my life and accept that he might never really leave and move on. It has been painful to think that their organization is more important to him than me. These people who don't care about him at all. I thought he might move on because he would say he didn't want to go back, and he would tell me how there were things wrong. I invested too much of my time, love, and energy. I I am still angry and resentful, but know with time it will get better. There is no compromise in this situation, and I knew I wanted nothing to do with JW's. I consider myself fortunate that I don't have a child with him, that we are not married, and most of all that my family is not JW. I guess I will end it here. I feel like I have been all over the place with this post. It feels good to realize I am not the only one who has been in a relationship with a former JW. To realize what i was feeling and thinking was right. I have learned a great deal, and I think that the message needs to come out to expose the real "truth" to help those who have left and are mourning, and feeling, afraid, angry, hurt! To help those who are thinking of joining this organization. Keep up the good work!!

• avishai
    avishai

Wow. You sound like a really smart lady. And probably like a few of the non-jw girls i dated. Welcome.

• shera
    shera

Welcome PRGirl.

Yes,it can be a non-win situation,when you are involved with a JW. Sorry if you are hurt but you will be very relivied you never became involved with them.

*hugs*

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear your experience with this.

I am learning to accept I cannot get him out of this. He will have to find his way out.

You are correct. It sounds like you're doing a good job working through this so far. Keep it up!

• prgirl
    prgirl

Thank you! This has been so hard 5 years in a relationship, but they say time heals all wounds! I truly believe I am doing the right thing for myself. It has been especially difficult because he works as the manager at the gym I go to. I am usually with my friend so it's easier. I am trying to at this point just be by myself, and focus on finishing my bachelor's degree next year. I am going though all of the emotions from being hurt, angry, resentful. Sometimes I feel how pathethic! but sometimes I do feel bad for him. I am glad I learned a lot about JW's, and mind control in general. I guess my point is before someone gets involved with a JW, or a former JW who really hasn't moved on to be careful. You are only setting yourself up for a lot of heartache.

• Valis
    Valis

welcome prgirl!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• gumby
    gumby
    From the beginning I always felt like something was wrong. He would tell me JWs beliefs, tell me how he was raised, and i decided to research it for myself

Yes.....you are a sharp cookie. If more people would check out the dubs history and beliefs......they would understand a little more about those who were/are involved....and why they think different than most people.

Nice to have you with those who understand.

Gumby

• undercover
    undercover

Welcome, prgirl

It's good to see that you've figured out the deal and that you can't do anymore than you have for him. Your experience can be of great help here. Many people post asking about how to reason with their JW boy/girlfriend. Hearing it from someone who has been through this situation is much better than hearing it from us that haven't been through. We may understand the JW religion better and why it f**ks people up, but only people who have been in these type relationships can understand them.

• avishai
    avishai
    I am going though all of the emotions from being hurt, angry, resentful. Sometimes I feel how pathethic! but sometimes I do feel bad for him.

Those are all valid, hon. Is there a different gym where you live?

• franklin J
    franklin J

welcome to the fourm, prgirl

Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit