Elders in Spain Steal Millions from Congregation

by cappytan 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cappytan
    cappytan

These men are appointed by Holy Spirit,

Here is the source: http://www.economiadigital.es/es/notices/2015/01/la-fiscalia-imputa-una-estafa-de-mas-de-170-millones-de-euros-a-una-congregacion-de-testigos-de-jeho-65161.php

Basically, if you don't know Spanish, it boils down to this: (my personal editorial of what I've read)

A group of 14 elders, under false pretenses, asked the congregation for donations to build a bloodless hospital in Spain that wouldn't commit the sin of administering blood transfusions.

From the article, I can't tell if it's 14 elders in one congregation or 14 elders combined from several congregations.

However, the article states that they collected over 170 million Euros. (The equivalent of over 190 million dollars at today's exchange rate.)

They then spirited away some 80 million of the funds to banks in Switzerland.

LURKERS: Wouldn't Jehovah read these brothers heart condition before appointing them through his Holy Spirit? Think about that the next time you talk about how wonderful your elders are.

------------

EDIT: Just a side thought, 190 million dollars could pay for a lot of "needed" Kingdom Halls. 

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

The canned answer is always God allows these things to play out (no matter how long, how horrendous, etc). Its always somehow not Gods mistake in appointing them. I know! it was a test! yea thats it. lol

The Wolf(s) of Columbia Street

• Simon
    Simon

Wow, that's quite a sizeable conspiracy - not just 2 or 3 in a single congregation.

The notion of a small religious group such as JWs needing to build their own hospital because of the current interpretation of a single belief is crazy isn't it. I mean, the JWs now allow practically everything from blood other than whole blood itself so it doesn't appear that they have abandoned the policy although they obviously have to all intent and reasonable interpretation.

They laid some of the groundwork for a scam like this to happen.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    I can confirm your description of it (native spanish speaker)
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Simon said: Wow, that's quite a sizeable conspiracy - not just 2 or 3 in a single congregation.
    Just re-read the article. 

Loose translation: 

...more than 170 million euros collected, based on false promises, among more than 1,300 members throughout Spain. 

This may very well have been on a circuit-wide level. 

• Lynnie
    Lynnie
    Funny my cousin who's husband is a higher up at Bethel in "finance" or "purchasing" just made a visit to the Spanish Bethel, wondering if he was checking on things?  HA!  Yes our lovely holy spirit appointed elders, NOT! 
  • TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

None of this makes the least sense whatsoever.

In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet it is fake.

Since when did JW's ever, ever, in their wildest dreams build a hospital?

Even raising ten thousand dollars would be a stretch, let alone millions!

I'm calling bullshit.

Somebody please convince me otherwise.

About 1,300 parishioners denounce 14 elders who collected money for a hospital that was never built

By Carlos Quílez Barcelona
    01/22/2015 20:47 pm
    The prosecution requested sentences ranging from 9 to 13 years in prison for a crime of fraud and other criminal bankruptcy for six of the 14 elders a congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses who are accused of embezzling more than 170 million euros collected, based on false promises, among more than 1,300 parishioners throughout Spain. The events date back to 2001, when 14 "elders" (the name by which Jehovah's Witnesses know their spiritual shepherds) used the ceremonies religious to collect from his parish cash "to build a hospital in Barcelona, that under our direction, do not provide blood transfusions to patients of our worship."

They stole money Brush

About 1,300 parishioners paid different amounts and at different times when the "elders" passed the brush. And they did so in the belief that their money would be used effectively for the construction of the hospital. But years passed and that did not happen. As is common ground in the trial against those pastors recently followed in the Court of Barcelona, the accused spiritual leaders remained money.

They evaded million to Switzerland

And not only that: with the help of attorneys and proxies, sent 80 of the 170 million swindled his fellow domiciled bank accounts in Switzerland. In fact, the High Court has already condemned them for money laundering. The Provincial Court of Barcelona, just judging them for fraud and criminal bankruptcy, has confirmed that at least one of the defendants initially has absconded and is in international search and arrest. The "elders" who do have sat in the dock acknowledge that they have not fulfilled their promise to build the hospital, but attribute it to the constraints of the Generalitat and the City of Barcelona granting permits. They have not known how to justify, however, money laundering brought against them by the evasion of 80 million.

Faith, blind

The complainants, some with tears in their eyes, acknowledged at the hearing that for years "had a blind faith in their pastors" and feel doubly punished ... "because our religion expressly forbids us to lie ... and those 'elders' have we lied and have robbed us. " The Audiencia Provincial de Barcelona render judgment during the first week of February
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Fourteen elders can easily come from on KH that hosts more than one large cong, but 1300 donors can not come from one place. I am assuming that people from their hall got talked into it and they talked their relatives and friends into it.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I have not seen a bloodless hospital but I have heard mention of something like it. I also heard, from a JW relative, that someone started a private school for witnesses, where evolution and other worldly sciences are not considered in the curriculum and where preparing kids for the meeting is part of the daily activities.

In either case, I would not doubt that the average witness would not hesitate to put up money for "such noble cause", real or not.

What is yet more exciting is, if the news gets confirmed and spread, what would be the WTBTS reaction. I would not put it past them that they would see how much of that money could have been theirs if some "sense" was talked into the brothers. That is, do not believe in this "bloodless hospitals", if you want to help, send us the money.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I'm calling bullshit.

Same feeling here. 170 million? come on.  I doubt that 14 elders could raise that money in one congo, one circuit or several circuits.

Besides, big construction projects like that don't start with the idea of 14 elders

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit