Did Jesus let us down?

by Pleasuredome 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

"What is Truth?", Pontius Pilot asked. after all my reading of the bible, this has to be the best question anyone ever asked. it was the best question asked of the man who could really give us the best answer. so, why didnt jesus answer the question? it would have saved us so much strife and hassle, both for those in the past and present if he had answered it, but he chose not to.

what are your thoughts on this? is there a possibility that he did answer the question, and that someone decided to remove his words from the bible? do you think he didnt answer because we all as individuals had the right to decide what is truth and what isnt?

• Realist
    Realist

jesus didn't let us more or less down than any other imaginery figure.

• JH
    JH

I think Jesus could have given more details. Saying the end was close, when it wasn't, was misleading and still is. Maybe your question should also include God.

• kes152
    kes152

Peace to you,

He already answered the question:

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one can come to the Father but through me." (John 14:6)

Jesus said to Pilate: "You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this [purpose of being king] I have come into the world, that I should bear witness TO THE TRUTH. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice." (John 18:37)

He is the truth, and all who 'listen' only to his voice are "of the truth." If we know (him) then he will set us free. Thus, all who are in religion should come out from among them and separate themselves.. and seek to only know the Christ because he IS the only truth (2 Corinthians 6:17, 18; John 8:31, 32, 36).

Aaron

• Satanus
    Satanus

Kes

he will set us free

When and how?

all who are in religion should come out from among them and separate themselves

How? Where?

SS

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Pleasuredome,

It seems that the WT would have ready answers for that and other religionists. Kes152 had a good answer. It came to my mind where Jesus said in another place, "Your word is truth."

The WT had an article about it once that explained that just because Jesus didn't answer didn't mean anything. In the story, he was being unjustly accused and beaten. Silence seems to be a reasonable response in the circumstances, hardly a place for philosophical debate. Moreover, how sincere could Pilate have been in really wanting to know what is truth, it easily could have been a rhetorical question. He left the room after asking that question. It may have been immediately. Just because it was in the form of a question doesn't make it a request for information. And as Kes152 pointed out, Jesus had just stated what truth was, n'est pas?

Now . . . that doesn't mean I'm a theist.

Pat

P.S. I have now decided to make some use of my somewhat extensive Biblical knowledge from years as a studious dub in discussions with Christians who are very hawkish, so thanks for the opportunity to pull some info from the storage section of my brain.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one can come to the Father but through me." (John 14:6)

Quite frankly, I can understand how the Jews in general (or anyone for that matter) could see Jesus as a blasphemous, arrogant person. Not that I am excusing his horrible torture, but, really, outside of the "miracles" which he allegedly performed, what reason WOULD anyone have to believe the guy. We all know religious quacks today who supposedly perform such "miracles" as some sign that they have the truth.

Just as with the movie The Passion, I don't find Jesus really convincing to people beyond his followers/disciples. I still don't.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

John 8:32: "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."

John 14:6: Jesus said to him, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man comes to the Father, except by Me."

John 17:17: "Sanctify them through Your Truth: Your Word is Truth."

John 17:3: "And this is life eternal, that they might know You the Only True God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent."

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Hi Blacksheep, how are you?

You said:

Quite frankly, I can understand how the Jews in general (or anyone for that matter) could see Jesus as a blasphemous, arrogant person. Not that I am excusing his horrible torture, but, really, outside of the "miracles" which he allegedly performed, what reason WOULD anyone have to believe the guy.

Why would anyone "believe the guy"? These might be a couple of reasons here (I'm sorry, the red coloring got kind of messed up below):

Matthew 7:12 (NKJV): "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

Matthew 22:35-40 (NKJV): Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?" Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the L ord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

John 13:12-15 (NKJV): So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."

John 13:34-35 (NKJV): " A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

John 15:12-13 (NKJV): " This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends."

John 8:3-12 (NKJV): Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?" This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more." Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."Luke 10:25-37 (NKJV): And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?" So he answered and said, "'You shall love the L ord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your neighbor as yourself.'" And He said to him, "You have answered rightly; do this and you will live." But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" Then Jesus answered and said: "A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.' So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?" And he said, "He who showed mercy on him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise." Matthew 18:21-22 (NKJV): Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." Matthew 7:1-5: "J udge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." Matthew 5: 38-48:: "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. " You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

There are three points to keep in mind regarding ANY quotes attributed to Jesus.

First, none of the gospel accounts were written during his lifetime, but between 30 and 70 years later, each written for a different audience.

Second, there are things Jesus actually may have said, and other things which the author SAID he said.

Third, all the accounts have been edited many times in the centuries following their original appearance. The New World Translation contains two endings to Mark, because they aren't sure which is the original.

The promise about Jesus returning soon may not have actually been uttered by the man himself, but an invention of an author writing decades after his death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit