Most commun cars in your congregation

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

In your former congregation, what models of cars were the most commun?

In my congregation, there was a time in the late 80's, that just about everybody had a Dodge Aries. It seemed to be an inexpensive decent size car for the service, then a few years later, many had volkswagen Jettas, a little more expensive...

I was the type to get a red, 2 door car.

• talesin
    talesin

I live near a KH. They are mostly driving 4-door Japanese cars (Nissan, Toyota, GM clones), with a sprinkling of mini-vans thrown into the mix.

My mother wanted a Volks 2-seater Cabriolet. I said 'GO FOR IT!!' 'Oh no, we must have a good service car.' 'But Mom, you've been dragging people around for 40 years, let someone else do it. Enjoy your retirement.' Yeah, right. NOT, they bought one of the above.

talesin

• lilacia
    lilacia

Actually, I recall most the the elders and their familes in my cong growing up, had expensive cars. They always wore the best suits, the wives wore the best clothes and all the make-up was perfect and you could smell them coming with their perfume. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, so forth. They also had great houses, more times that I know, we were invited to these houses and I would just sit in the living room (knowing it was actually the *show* room not the actual living in room) and imagine it being my house. The staircases would wind up to the second floor. In our KH two congs shared the building, one was affluent and one was more middle class. My best friend, who lived only a few miles away, went to the other cong, so we would leave eachother "secret" notes in the ladies bathroom in some of the cabinets. Neither one of us were ever baptized, despite being "raised" with the beliefs.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

At one time in the early 90s, all the elders in my congregation drove these:

The Lada Riva, based on an old Fiat 124; and very cheap.

• pudd
    pudd

lilacia, did you and i go to the same hall?!

that is just as it was in my first congregation. as a very poor pioneer i used to feel very uncomfable around all that money.

as a very poor pioneer
    i mean i had no money , not that i wasn't very good at it!
  • blondie
    blondie
    They are mostly driving 4-door Japanese cars (Nissan, Toyota, GM clones), with a sprinkling of mini-vans thrown into the mix.

I second this. Although they are 4-door, SUVs are not somewhat frowned up partly due to difficultly of getting in an out in dress clothing. If people have sports cars, they are second "fun" vehicles and are never seen at the KH. Several also have large, expensive RVs that are used at the few quick builds in the area so justifies the expense in the minds of the brothers. Mini-vans are popular in field service especially when making RVs. The more the merrier, the fewer times you have to get out of the vehicle that morning.

Blondie

• smack
    smack

everything from Mercedes Benz and Volvos and a Porsche right down to some real shitters. There were the

young hoons as well with our modified cars. Lots of people movers now. There were at leats 2 motorcycles,

althought they were frowned upon. As they say, Motorcycles can be found in two places, on bikes or in prison :)

Steve

• talesin
    talesin

blondie

Same here with the SUVs. And you are so right about using them for the quick-builds, so handy. :) Some of the people I grew up with (well-known in the community) are very wealthy, they also have luxury cars (ex. Cadillac) which do not 'go to meetings'.

• shamus
    shamus

K-car. I had one.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Question: How do you avoid getting assigned to drive out in service if you own a minivan? Answer: Make it look like an Enterprise shuttle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit