Special pioneer stipend

by wannaexit 20 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

In our area it is $600 (US) per month.

Plus the "benefits" - free medical coverage, reimbursement for gasoline spent on "theocratic" activities, an additional small stipend (not sure how much) for clothing, free housing...

Between the $600 (each) (tax free of course) and the perks, a SP couple can live the lifestyle of a couple earning, oh, maybe $30-40 thousand per year (US). Not wealthy, but not poverty level.

Plus, if the SP is assigned to a wealthier area, there are the green handshakes....

• sir82
    sir82

They get a small amount that is barely enough to live on but it is against the rules for them to work a part time job to supplement their income. 

Oh rly?

Someone better tell the SPs in our area - they all work part time jobs.

Maybe they don't let "mother" know that....

• blondie
    blondie

As long as the SPs make their quotas, they can work part-time...many work for other jws, in foreign countries they may teach English to foreign speakers.  Easy to combine that with bible studies.

Some have inquired about opportunities for special pioneer service. What does this involve? It is open to those who are already regular pioneers, ones who are able to move to any territory where they might be assigned. Much of the need is for brothers and married married couples in the colder north-central states. They agree to devote 150 hours to the field service each month, and, since their work is to develop interest in seldom-worked territory, they need to be effective in conducting Bible studies. If you are in position to share in this service, you may make that known to your circuit overseer.

7 Be realistic in your planning. In view of the world’s present economic situation, those who are special pioneers usually need savings on which they can draw or some manner of income that will not be very time-consuming, to supplement the modest monthly allowance of $50 (plus a maximum of $15 for travel), which is provided by the Society on request.

*** jl lesson 13 p. 16 What Is a Pioneer? ***

Others are selected to serve as special pioneers in areas where the need for Kingdom proclaimers is greater, devoting 130 hours or more to the ministry each month. The pioneers are content to live a modest lifestyle, confident that Jehovah will supply them with the necessities of life.

• fulano
    fulano

@sir82

Could you tell me where you got this information about:

1. Free medical coverage.

2. Getting gasoline paid.

3. Free housing.

4. Wealthier assignment.

Have you been a sp?

Well I have been and nothing of this is right. Please be more carefull in your posts.

• sir82
    sir82

@sir82

Could you tell me where you got this information

I was never a SP, but I have known several, including some who are currently SPs.

• hoser
    hoser

They get a small amount that is barely enough to live on but it is against the rules for them to work a part time job to supplement their income. 

Oh rly?

Someone better tell the SPs in our area - they all work part time jobs.

Maybe they don't let "mother" know that....

It is a canada thing. Andre ramsayer is a big wig at the branch and apparantly he doesn't like special pioneers working. 

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    My parents were SPs during WWll and were given a whopping $25 a month each and sent into the deep South where JWs were being tarred and feathered. You know, the good 'ole days. 
  • Dagney
    Dagney
    About 10 years ago a widowed CO's wife came to our hall and was given SP status and a stipend.  I don't remember exactly, but it seems it was about $300-400...not enough to live on.  And cost of living is high around here.  I remember looking for places to rent with her and trying to figure out odd jobs where she could bring in a bit of money.  
  • fulano
    fulano

That's how it is Dagney, and not the relaxed-all-cared-for life-style Sir82 wants to describe.

@Sir82 If you know several, ask again, this is not true, unless local congregations take care of what you describe.

• fulano
    fulano
    I read the hours quote is a 130 now....we had to get in 140, in sp service and as missionaries. I wonder what they do with all their spare-time nowadays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit