Special pioneer stipend

by wannaexit 20 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    How much do they get for their 120 hours of door banging?
  • Scully
    Scully
    If I remember correctly, it was around $90/month 20-25 years ago.
  • prologos
    prologos
    It was $ 45. per month for 150 hours in the 50, 60s. 30 cents an hour, but better than 100 hours given free as a regular pioneer. 
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what are the out of pocket expenses?  I assume the stipend is adjusted for inflation, which they are probably exceptionally stingy with.  But even assuming double 20-25 years ago, 200 toilet papers a month will not go far.

Out of that, expenses are big.  One suit dry cleaning can cost between 10 and 16 toilet papers--there goes 40 if you clean your suits once a week.  One haircut costs around 15 toilet papers, and if you get one every 2 months, there goes another 7 1/2.  Gas costs money--even at 2 toilet papers a gallon (enjoy it while it lasts, because come April, the dollar we know is on borrowed time), you are looking at burning several gallons of gas per day.  Vehicle expenses, including all expenses that vary by the mile, can easily eat up the whole stipend.  Not to mention donations to the Worldwide Damnation Fund, which are expected.  Give with one hand with the expectation that the whole thing be returned.

If I had a regular job that regularly cost me more out of pocket to work than I was making on the job, I would quit.  While I am expecting that to happen once Neptune enters the 9th degree of Pisces (and takes the dollar down to zero through hyperinflation), the washtowel is doing that even with the dollar still buying something.  This was as true in the 1980s as it is today.

• prologos
    prologos
    $ 45.- for 150 h/m; -- 30 c p/h better than doing 100 hrs for free. This was the  50ies.       
  • Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    It is pretty close to $1000 / month.     This can be adjusted lower if the local congregation is giving you a free place to live though.    It is also adjusted higher if you Are assigned to a high cost area.    
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit

$1000 / month is not a large sum of money to live on. Thank you for your responses

• hoser
    hoser
    They get a small amount that is barely enough to live on but it is against the rules for them to work a part time job to supplement their income. 
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    It's per person too, so if you're married it's more. 
  • fulano
    fulano

We had in Europe in 1987-1990, around 250 US each, 500 a couple and a monthly saving for holidays etc. 45 US each.

I had to work on fridays and saturday mornings to have Some extra's and free health insurance. An old Honda, mostly we ride our bicicles to preach in the Spanish field.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit