Did Noah really build an ark?

by frogit 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

Anybody who seriously believes that Noah built an arch big enough to house two or seven of every species of animal (and supply enough food and potable water for all onboard) and then floated around for 40 days while it rained and then another 40 or something till the water subsided, seriously needs to stop taking all the folklore in the bible literally. It's a story! Just like Paul Bunyan and his big Blue Ox, would you believe that one if that was in the bible?

• Flash
    Flash

Jesus used Noah as an example of the End Times, so for anyone who accepts Jesus and his words as real, Noah, the Ark and the Flood are also real. I do believe Jesus and his teachings are real.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride
    so for anyone who accepts Jesus and his words as real, Noah, the Ark and the Flood are also real. I do believe Jesus and his teachings are real.

Why would anyone accept a belief (that logically could not have happened) from a book filled with flaws, inaccuracies and errors?

Devon

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Jesus used Noah as an example of the End Times, so for anyone who accepts Jesus and his words as real, Noah, the Ark and the Flood are also real. I do believe Jesus and his teachings are real.

1) The situation of the "days of Noah" is used as an illustration of the end times. Illustrations are made to explain the nature of the subject under discussion, not to assert the situation being used as a comparison was an actual, real event. It was irrelevent whether the story was fictional or historical, especially since the gospel Jesus made up stories anyway for illustrations. 2) Assuming that the gospels represent a Jesus of history (which is a big assumption), there are many who accept some of the Jesuine logia material as representing what Jesus said and other logia as representing later oral tradition. Apocalyptic material such as that concerning the "days of Noah", concerned especially with the events of A.D. 66-70, is more likely derived from the communities where the synoptic gospels took shape than Jesus himself.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Noah was the contractor, the actually "building" of the ark was done by several subcontractors...many who employed cheap illegal immigrants who had swum across the Euphrates looking for a better life.

• Flash
    Flash
    Noah was the contractor, the actually "building" of the ark was done by several subcontractors.

Actualy, I think your right!

• crownboy
    crownboy

LOL Yeru .

Damn, Leolaia, you're so knowledgeable on these subjects I almost feel dumb posting on the same threads as you .

Did Noah really build an ark?
    Even if the book didn't already loose credibility for having talking snakes and donkeys, surely this tale should at the very least tell people that the bible shouldn't be taken too literally?
  • JCanon
    JCanon

You know, we just don't know all the details. How do we know whether or not Sears had a special on pre-fab storage containers that Noah could convert to an ark? If so then maybe assembly was only 7 days....

Plus obviously there must have been a flood, otherwise, how do you explain why we all look like Noah? Huh? Try and explain THAT without a flood theory!

JC

• Farkel
    Farkel

flash,

: Jesus used Noah as an example of the End Times, so for anyone who accepts Jesus and his words as real, Noah, the Ark and the Flood are also real. I do believe Jesus and his teachings are real.

So.....you are propping up one myth and another myth.

I see.

P.S. Read some decent commentaries on the absolute impossibility of the Noah epic ever being possible. I can give you links that will demolish every claim the Bible made about the flood, if you wish.

Once you've done that and dijested it, consider the fact that Jesus ALSO believed that nonsense. At least he did as recorded in the Bible.

If you know the FACTS, what does THAT tell you, then? It tells me that Jesus allegedly believed bullshit. Should I take it from here or do you get the picture?

I would be happy to take the bullshit to its final bullshit from where I left off if you so desire.

Farkel

• JCanon
    JCanon

Hi Farkel guy,

You know, just because you can't imagine something doesn't mean others can't. In that regard though, I think I have reasonable doubts as most about some things. Thus the Global flood has to be logical to me at some point and consistent with what we know now. The flood basically does.

For instance, the Bible tells us where all the water came from! A water canopy suspended above the earth. Now how God got it to stay up there isn't noted, but who knows. And depending on how deep that canopy was surrounding the earth, it could easily flood the earth if it came down to earth. But of note, before that happened there were no seasons, that didn't happen until the canopy came down. But we know that that is the consistent with the "greenhouse" effect, which apparently was the case.

Further, the Bible explains how watering took place, through the ground, etc. We use sprinkers to water the lawn and gardens, don't we? So that's consistent with there being no rain, no clouds, none of that.

So it's CONSISTENT with something we know. In other words, God didn't just make a lot of clouds and cause a flash flood from evaporated sea water which wouldn't be enough to create a flood that covered the entire earth above the highest then mountain.

Then there's the issue of where the excess water went. The Bible says God used "winds" to help disspiate the waters. Winds to do what? Slosh the water around? Hot winds to evaporate it? Well technically a tornadic funnel is a wind as well so seems to me these winds could have included super water spouts which funneled the water out into outer space. At which point, someone might then say: "There is no evidence of moisture in outer space, it's only on this planet!" That's what I would have expected!!! But in fact, there is water in outer space, at least in our solar system and that is confirmed by comets which are encased in ICE!!! Now that's amazing to me, how and why there would be water in outer space. But, when you consider the global flood, then why wouldn't that moisture be in orbit around the sun in some water belt that then causes ice on comets that pass through it?

So the concept that the excess water was dissipated in outer space works since we have evidence of moisture out there. It doesn't prove precisely that's where the water came from, but it's CONSISTENT with excess water in the vicinity of the earth in outer space.

So you see, the global flood seems still reasonable to me as happening.

The ark represents the same thing. I would float on top of the water as a waterproof vessel and preserve Noah and his three sons and a variety of animals God sought to preserve.

Anyway, I do believe that our day will be like Noah's, in that the non-believers in the flood in the end became believers because God finally did something dramatic and ACTED on his words. So likewise today, those who don't believe really are saying: "Jehovah, show me something! I can't just believe in words in a book made by man!" And so he will in the form of Armageddon, and those who die before Armageddon will come back on Judgment Day and know that God's word is true and then EVERYBODY, like even the fallen angels will be believers, even if its just for a few moments before their "second death" in the lake of fire. JUDGMENT DAY will set all the scientific realities and questions aright.

I can understand why some people have faith, but I thank the Father in Heaven that I did have faith. "Faith is not a possession of all men." It's easy to believe the flood is you're a spiritual man with the "gift" of faith.

JC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit