Tips For People Who Visit the South

by Tatiana 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

lol Lyin I gotta tell you the day my ex brought home a coon he had killed with his truck was the day I said "HELL NO, I'm not cooking and eating that"! Otherwise pretty much anything else goes though *sigh* I just can't do roadkill...nope...

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    We got in the conversation on why people down this way eat what they do. I had to admit that although I am from the south there are some things I don't eat, cause I am a picky southerner. I don't eat chicken feet, pickled pig feet, chitlins, cow's tongue, hog mawls, hog ears, gizzards, coon, or any other road kill.

All of these things you mentioned comes from the days of slavery. Slaves were given these items to eat while the slave "owners" ate the best part of an animal and eventually white folks adopted some of this food. Not this white boy, I haven't been that hungry yet. Also, slaves did most of the cooking and a lot of West African cooking ideas were put into the meals, and southerners are still eating food prepared with recepies brought here from Africa hundreds of years ago.

Xena, I've lived in Texas all of my life and have never heard of anyone eating a racoon, although I have known folks who enjoy possum

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LOL Xena, yeah I draw the line on rodent type animals myself. I don't like tree rats( squirrel meat) can't remember the last time I ate it but it was stinky. I know lots of country folk, real old times who eat , nutria, those big ass beaver looking things. My grandpa was a trapper, and he caught many and gave the meat to his neighbors.......yuk, yuk. They looked like a giant rat the size of a dog.

Roadkill is seriously eatin by some ' round here. I find it horrid, and there is no way in hell, I am eating something I just ran over.

I am not telling a tale here,,,,,,,,Some young boys were out driving,,,,,,,,,they had about 10 in their family, and were very poor. They ran over a deer a few miles up the road........they came and got Denny to help them put this big buck in the back of his truck so they could take it home for dinner.

I laughed , thought it was gross, but felt sorry for them at the same time for eating roadkill and not caring who knew about it. I was raised in the city,,,,,and I ate chicken cordon bleu, trout almondine, mostly restaurants. So when I moved to where I am now,,,,, I couldnt believe some of the things people ate over this way. But each to their own I say,,,,,,,,,,and at least that family had a good dinner for quite awhile.........as you know when you kill a deer ,( even if the only way you can is by running it over,,hehe) you have meat in the freezer for quiet awhile.

Dede. of the "aint eatin' no road kill" class.

P.S. All apostofest chili makers, please let me know if there is coon, gizzards, or other things in the chili , hehe. NO ROAD KILL CHILI ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!

• meat pie
    meat pie

That's really funny, there are so many similarities. Here in the North of Scotland and in the far North of England, in country places anyway, almost everyone waves at nearly everyone else as they drive past.Even just the flicked up index finger.If they don't- they are either about to crash or they're not local.It's illegal to carry a gun off-farm usually, but its surprising how many people shoot.I know a man who eats road-kill, but he's Danish and excentric (I don't think the two things go together)In North of England I knew a farmer sold a house on his farm and then paid more than the house-price for a new tractor.

In the South West of England, my Dad still eats pig's trotters, chitterlings, brawn, pig's cheek (Bath chap) bloaters (Little fish) and he and I used to eat tripe, I think its illegal now! No African connection.He's 84 next week.Can't be bad.

Meat pie.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Thanks Tatiana, this made my morning!

Maybe I'll vacation down south this year!

Walter

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper
    In the South West of England, my Dad still eats pig's trotters, chitterlings, brawn, pig's cheek (Bath chap) bloaters (Little fish) and he and I used to eat tripe, I think its illegal now! No African connection.He's 84 next week.Can't be bad.

You can still get tripe if you look in the right places, mostly the small butchers. I'm from about as far sou west as you can get and it still weirds me out that people further north don't speak to anyone.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Wiscousin is the south. I thought that was a cold snowy place. The onlt thing I needed to know when I went down south (Fayetteville, NC) to visit my wife's family was what gas station sells the 40's of malt liquor. Once I found that everything else falls into place.

I was thinking the same thing. However, a few months ago I went to Alabama to look at a machine I was buying. Holy shi*, it was right out of Deliverence. I kept expecting to see a fat white dude running down the street with his pants around his ankles.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

LOL! With the exception of the red clay, the grits and greens, and the gators on the golf course (we had a different kind of rattler, but they were there, nonetheless), this could be my old northern town. BTW-be sure you never refer to hogs as pigs when you are talking to a hog farmer;)

• talley
    talley

OMG...It's ALL TRUE !! And we love it. Must be 'cause we're farmers from Wis. i.e.. yankee rednecks. We have been going to Talladega, AL, every April since 1990, for the NASCAR race. That first time there, we were prowling, looking for a spot to park the motor home and as we were passing a nice spot, thinking we should be over to the left about 20' to be politely fare enough from the 'rig' to our right, that woman was waving to us and approached saying "that's fine, shut it down right there". They were (still are) a couple from Milledgeville, GA. Now the group of friends has grown over the years to total 14 rigs that camp together. And one, from MS, the guy calls me 'Miss Juuudy' with a twinkle in his eye, knowing I melt inside - what a classy flirt! And any youngsters in camp call us Mr. Bud and Miss Judy. One year (can't remember which) the race was rained out, cancelled and rescheduled for Mother's Day weekend in May. No way we could 'haul' back down there, 1100 miles one way, besides early May is corn planting time in WI. I was 'pissing and moaning and groaning" on the way home, and Bud said "the trip was still worth it because we got to see the folks" ! And he was/is right. It means more to us to make that trip to see the 'folks' than to even go to my family reunion in Mich. every year. We make it to Mich. less than once every five years. Even though we were born in WI, our soul/spirit is from the South. Only 4 more weeks and we will be back there again !!

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Lyin eyes...speaking of squirrel, I'll never forget the time a friend of mine told me that while she was doing dishes that day, she happened to see a squirrel out her kitchen window. Well, she went and got the gun, snuck up on it, shot it, skun it and served it up for dinner that night...he he he - Me being the city girl who moved to the country, I could never do something like that. I still laugh about that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit