Canaanite legend quoted in 2 Samuel 1:21?

by Leolaia 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Legend of Aqhat, one of the great epic myths preserved in the Ugaritic archive at Ras Shamra, was popular in some form in Israel and Judah and shows its traces in the OT and later Jewish literature. Ezekiel 14:12-20, 28:1-3 makes several passing references to the legend and its hero, an ancient semi-divine king named Danel renowned for his wisdom and healing powers. Danel was one of the Rephaim, a primeval race of demigod kings who linger on as spirits in Sheol and who were revered by the Canaanites in ancestor worship (cf. Job 26:5, Proverbs 9:18, 21:16, and especially Isaiah 14:9 which refer to the Rephaim as the ghosts of dead kings and the dead in general, and Genesis 14:5, Deuteronomy 3:13, and 2 Samuel 21:16, 18 which refer to them as the ancient aboriginal inhabitants of Canaan, of gigantic stature like the Nephilim). Ezekiel 28:1-3 alludes to Danel's famed wisdom and 14:12-20 alludes to the death and rebirth of his son Aqhat. In the Ugaritic version of the legend, the divine craftsman Kothar bequeathed the newborn Aqhat with a bow made in his heavenly workshop but the war goddess Anat wanted the bow for herself, and after a long struggle to convince the youth to give it up, she dispatched two monsters to kill the boy. Having lost his only heir, Danel cursed the land and El, feeling pity on the king, blessed the king and brought back his son to life -- blessings reminiscent of Job in Job 42:10-17. Thus Danel was "able to save [his] son", as Ezekiel 14:12-20 says of him, comparing him to Job and Noah (who also saved his family). There are later scattered allusions to the Legend of Aqhat in 1 Enoch 6:7, 69:2 and Jubilees 4:17-21.

There may be additional allusions, even direct quotations, of the tale in the David Cycle of 1 and 2 Samuel -- raising the possibility that much of the lore on the exploits of Kings David and Solomon draws on legendary material on ancient Rephaim kings like King Danel and King Keret. It is curious, for instance, that David fights against various warriors "descended from the Rapha of Gath" in 2 Samuel 21:15-22, and in the Aqhat legend Danel himself is called "a Rapha man" (CTA 17 i 1), and that according to a late tradition in 1 Chronicles 3:1, David had a son named dny'l "Daniel" (compare the dn'l "Danel" of Ezekiel and the Aqhat legend). Danel's wisdom in "judging the cause of the widow, adjudicating the case of the orphan" (CTA 19 i 24-25) is reminiscent of the legendary wisdom of David's successor Solomon (1 Kings 3:16-28). King Keret is called a "son of El" in CTA 16 i 2-23, like David is called God's "son" in 2 Samuel 7:14. Unlike Danel, however, David has little problem fathering children. Danel's plight is closer to that of Job and Abraham, who faced the prospect of giving up his only son through Sarah (Isaac) as a sacrifice.

However, in 2 Samuel 1 David learns of the deaths of Saul and Jonathan (whom he loved) and his reaction closely resembles the portion of the Aqhat legend where Danel laments over the death of Aqhat. First, Danel's daughter Pugat in grief "tore the garment of Danel the Rapha man, the cloak of the valiant Harnamite man" (CTA 19 i 93-94). Likewise David "took hold of his garments and tore them, and all the men with him did the same" (2 Samuel 1:11). Then in righteous anger Danel casts a spell of drought "upon the clouds in the heat of the season". David similarly curses the "mountains of Gilboa" where Saul and Jonathan were slain. The language shows near verbatim resemblance with two texts in 2 Samuel. First, compare the curse of Danel with the curse of David:

"For seven years Baal shall fail, for eight (years) he who rides upon the clouds. No dew (tl), no rain, no welling up (sr') of the deeps (thmtm), no goodness of Baal's voice." (CTA 19 i 42-45)
    "O mountains of Gilboa, let there be neither dew (tl), nor rain upon you, nor rising up (wsr') of the two deeps (thwmt), for there the hero's shield was dishonored." (2 Samuel 1:21)

Both give a three-fold curse against life-giving water from any of the three natural sources: dew, rain, or springs. There is a late reflex of Danel's curse in 1 Enoch 6:6-7, 13:9 where the defiled angels mourn in Abiline (cf. Abilim where Aqhat was slain) and bind themselves with a curse on Mount Hermon (cf. Danel's appellation "the Harnamite"), and a fragment of the Book of Noah (derived from a lost Enochian work) which states that because of the actions of the rebel angels "cold shall not depart forever, nor snow, nor hoarfrost, and dew shall not descend on it except for a curse" (Book of Noah, 14). According to 1 Enoch 6:6-7, one of these angels who inflicted the curse was named Danel. In the Canaanite legend, Danel later curses the giant hawks that Anat had sent to kill Aqhat, beseeching Baal to smash their wings and tear open their stomaches so Danel can bury his son's bones. Here again we find a verbal reminiscence with the Davidic psalm in 2 Samuel 22 (= Psalm 18):

"He bent the heavens down and came down, a dark cloud under his feet; he mounted a cherub and flew and soared on the wings of the wind.... Yahweh thundered from heaven and made his voice heard; he let his arrows fly and scattered them, launched his lightnings and routed them.... I pursue my enemies and destroy then, no turn back till an end is made for them; I strike them down, and they do not rise, they fall, they are under my feet" (2 Samuel 22:10-11, 14-15, 38-39)
    "For seven years Baal shall fail, eight years he who rides upon the clouds.... May Baal break the wings of the hawks, may Baal break their pinions, so that they fall down at my feet. (CTA 19 i 42; ii 106)

In the Ugaritic text, Danel calls on Baal to curse the land and accomplish his wishes, just as David describes Yahweh's assistance at his hour of need. The Davidic psalm is rich in Baalist meterological imagery, from description of the thunderous voice and lightning arrows to the movement with the storm clouds. The statement that Baal "rides upon the clouds" matches the remark about Yahweh mounting a cherub and soaring "on the wings of the wind" with "a dark cloud under his feet". Aqhat calls on Baal to vanquish his enemies "so that they fall down at my feet," and similarly "David" says that his enemies "fall, they are under my feet". While the dependence is likely not direct, there is a commonality in language and theme here.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Perhaps this would shed further light on the title of the poem, if qesheth ("bow") is to be so understood in 2 Samuel 1:18... The reference, in the same verse, to the "Book of the Just" (sepher hayyashar) is also interesting: a Hebrew version of Canaanite epics perhaps? The only other occurrence is in Joshua 10:12f about the "sun standing still"...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

One emendation of 2 Samuel 1:18 I've read removes reference to a bow: "It is written in the Book of Jashar, so that it may be taught to the sons of Judah". This is on the basis of the LXX which has a slightly different reading: "And he gave orders to teach it to sons of Judah (eipen ton didakhai tous huius Iouda)". However this might just be an attempt at making sense of an obscure text, and the mention of a qst "bow" in the MT as the title of the poem fits with v. 22 which refers to the "bow of Jonathan". Either reference to Jonathan's qst would provide a further link to the Aqhat legend. Moreover v. 27 says: "How the mighty have fallen! The weapons of war have perished!" The latter motif is exactly what we find in the Aqhat legend. When Yatipan and his partner attacks Aqhat and eats up his body, the bow itself (the very object of Anat's envy) is shattered and destroyed (CTA, 1.19 i 1-20). The statement in v. 23 of Jonathan and Saul being "swifter than eagles" echoes the beasts that killed Aqhat. Other points of contact include the wailing women in v. 24 (cf. CTA 1.19 iv. 9-22), the reference to the "blood of the slain, the flesh of the mighty" in v. 22 (cf. CTA 1.18 iv 35-40, 1.19 i 5-15), and the reference to gold adornments (cf. CTA 1.19 ii 4). These echoes however do not require any sort of direct dependence between the poems, only to show that there are links. It is also interesting how the poem repeatedly calls Jonathan and Saul the "mighty" (gibbor), a term that harks back to the Nephilim and Nimrod and the "heroes of old" in Genesis 6 and 10. The idea that the Jashar material (as well as other legendary material in Judges and David Cycle) goes back to Canaanite legends on the Rephaim of old is quite attractive. It's a rich body of tradition that certainly would not have disappeared and would have surely been of use to the compilers of ancestral traditions in the Deuteronomist History.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

wonderful thread. It just made me reflect upon the frequency that prophets of YHWH are predicting or punishing with drought or flood yet blessing with adaquate rain. While YHWH was not properly a vegetative god but more of a storm god he assimilated the motifs quite naturally when the Hebrews became monolatrous.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Another after thought about the riding on a cherub motif. El was traditionally seated upon a throne/chariot that was powered by cherubim, winged bulls/sphinxes. Naturally Baal was likewise depicted as riding a bull as well as the clouds. It is not surprising then to find YHWH as seated upon a throne/chariot powered by Cherubim or said to ride a cherub in the wind. I know this is basic stuff for you two but, for those who may be reading this, this may be the first time hearing these connections being made.

• Sargon
    Sargon

Leolaia,

I've thought alot about Canaanite ties to the early hebrews. Wasn't El the head of the Canaanite pantheon of Gods?

Editted to add: I forgot the reason I chose my avatar Sargon was the similarity of his birth to that of Moses, even though Sargon pedates Moses. There are alot of early myths incorporated into the hebrew bible.

They told that Sargon was born to the daughter of the head man of a minor town. His father was unknown, and the mother, to hide the child's birth, lined a basket with pitch to make it water-tight, and setting the babe within, entrusted him to the current of the Euphrates.
  • Narkissos
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

PP....To my recollection, Baal was the son of Dagan the agricultural god, which makes intrinsic sense. Other times he appears as the son of El, and it is unclear whether Dagan is to be identified with El or whether Baal became adopted as a son of El through his kingship after defeating El's "beloved" son Yamm.

Here are some striking examples from the minor prophets on Yahweh as a rain god like Baal:

"Then everyone that survives of all the nations that have come against Jerusalem shall go up year after year to worship the King, Yahweh of hosts, and to keep the feast of booths. And if any of the families of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Yahweh of hosts, there will be no rain upon them." (Zechariah 14:16-17)
    "I also withheld rain from you when the harvest was still three months away. I sent rain on one town, but withheld it from another. One field had rain; another had none and dried up." (Amos 4:7)
    "Yahweh will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the sky will tremble." (Joel 3:16)
    " 'Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,' says Yahweh the Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.' " (Malachi 3:10)

See also Isaiah 30:19 and Jeremiah 3:3; 5:24; 10:13; 14:4; 51:16. Finally, I am not sure that El likewise rode in a storm chariot on the wings of cherubim. My impression was that he was mostly stationary in his palace at the headwaters of the rivers and the confluence of the two deeps.

Leolaia

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Sargon.....When I first really got into reading the Bible in my early teens, I had a strong interest in Sargon of Agade and suspected that the Nimrod traditions of Genesis 10 drew on this historical personage (as well as Gilgamesh and possibly later Assyrian kings). Then in the '90s there appeared an academic article in Vetus Testamentum by Yigal Levin that explored this very thesis.

• Sargon
    Sargon

Leolaia,

I knew you'd have something interesting to say about my last comment. There is a definate link between Sargon, Gilgamesh, and Nimrod. I think this has to do with the fact that most of this was oral history. I also feel that for a person who is only mentioned once in the bible, Nimrod is badly maligned by the WTS. As a matter of fact one of my earliest posts dealt with this:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/22867/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit