Are JW's embarrassed by faith in Jesus?

by eyeslice 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Scully:
    It was something that hadn't properly occured to me, either, until I started replying.

When assimilated I didn't really spend much time thinking about Christ at all.

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

It's hard to have two Saviors. Christendom opts for the one, Jesus, while we opt for the other, Jehovah. I remember that when I first saw the illustration of the shepherd on the back of the Draw Close to Jehovah book, I thought it was an illustration of Jesus. But no, the book relates it to Jehovah. (In the Bible, both Jehovah and Jesus are called "shepherds.")

So, since it's hard to love two, there is gravitation toward either Jehovah or Jesus. Or, in the case of many sects, to make the two one, Jehovah of the OT = Jesus of the NT.

In our case, I blame Joseph Rutherford. He's the one who named us Jehovah's Witnesses, whereas the New Testament says we should be Jesus' Witnesses. (Acts 1:8) From that point on, our focus has been on Jehovah, with Jesus running a poor second.

• heathen
    heathen

Little Toe --- Thanks for the support there. I'm hoping things get better and exspect they will to some degree . I assume you are talking about the tx. chilli apostafest?

I do see what some of you are talking about as far as the wanting to be recognized a jehovahs witness over being christian although I have seen them refer to themselves as a christian religion I don't think many of them confess it publically and assume every one will recognize them as christian , even the publications state announcing jehovahs kingdom rather than a messianic kingdom . So from there they try to explain about the messianic kingdom in the articles . They seem to like the scripture that says all those calling on the name jehovah will be saved so I wonder if there is some sort of unspoken belief that they should use the the term to get Gods attention or something . I don't know they are a strange bunch . Revelation does state that the brothers of christ or as they call them the anointed are persecuted and killed for the witness they bear to jesus. HMMMMMMMMM this gets more interesting the more I dig in .

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

I noticed some freaky doctrines concerning Jesus. One dub who used to study with me told me that they only commemorate Jesus' death, and not his birthday or even his resurrection, because the latter does not "absolve us" of anything. The fact that they only celebrate his death sent a red flag, but like so many dubs, I supressed the idea.

While Jesus pops up every now and then in a WT article, I did notice his basic gospel, which is central to the Christian faith, seems to get buried under propaganda pushing the faithful and discreet slave the oppressive dictators, and other drivel.

One thing is certain, their faith is definately not centered around Jesus and his teachings.

• heathen
    heathen

oxnard--- If you read the account the only thing jesus instructed his apostles to do was to keep doing the memorial supper in rememberance of what he was doing . His resurection wasn't anything that deemed a special ritual . His birthday was not mentioned as being celebrated by the early church or the apostles ,besides noone knows exactly when it was, unlike the memorial supper which is on the same day the jews celebrated passover . I personally hate the way christiandom added easter and christmas into religion .

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

LT

by forsaking being an angel and becoming a perfect man (as allegedly the angels did in Noah's day),

Its interesting that the angels could do what Jw doctrine prohibits Jesus to do. Michael/Jesus/Michael.

E

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Heathen:
    Aye, the ChilliFest - I hope to be there, and would love to meet you.

Regarding JW's calling themselves Christians, they define that term to effectively mean that he is their rolemodel, and not a lot else. They pay lipservice to calling him a king, but they really only think of the Father in that role.

Ellderwho:
    It's even more interesting to me that the "angels" were allegedly condemned for it ("forsook their own proper dwelling place" Jude 1:6), if you go by JW doctrine on the arrival of the Nephilim (or is it that way around that you meant it?).
    As a side note, I don't believe the "Sons of God" in that passage of Genesis refers to angels, anymore, but that's another story.

OHappyDay:
    Alternatively the name "Jehovah" could be more descriptive than personal, in which case Father and Son could share it like a surname.
    That then surmounts the "saviour" / "shepherd" problem, when such titles are attributed to "Jehovah".

Oxnard:

One thing is certain, their faith is definately not centered around Jesus and his teachings.

That's what caused me to reject ALL of their teachings. Even in the smallest things, their doctrine is slightly twisted away from Christ (usually towards the Father), often when inappropriate.

• Scully
    Scully

Little Toe writes:

Regarding JW's calling themselves Christians, they define that term to effectively mean that he is their rolemodel, and not a lot else. They pay lipservice to calling him a king, but they really only think of the Father in that role.

It occurred to me recently that to JWs, Jesus is a Ruler-In-Waiting, much like Prince Charles is. But even when Prince Charles is enthroned, he's more or less a figurehead, while the real power lies with Parliament (similar to the WTS's place for JWs).

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit