Are JW's embarrassed by faith in Jesus?

by eyeslice 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I think I posted the fact that I suddenly stopped attending all the meetings, field service and all, very suddenly. Not a single meeting this year. I guess I would describe myself now as a sort of Little Toe guy, a liberal Christian.

Of course, I have had all the elder visits asking me how I am doing etc. But I have found a very easy way to make any elder (all of whom I served with as a fellow elder for years) to squirm is to start taking about Jesus as our savior. When they say "do you still believe its the truth (i.e. the Witness religion)", I simply say "I believe what the gospels say about Christ and that he is our personal savior and exemplar and that we need to become more Christ like in our attitude and behavior. Isn't that what you believe?"

Now, don't get me wrong, I have not become a born again Christian, there are many things that I do not profess to understand about Christ and God. But replying to the average witness in that manner simply throws them. They are so 'Jehovah' biased that talking about Jesus throws them. I have become convinced that the average elder has no comprehension about what the NT really teaches about Christ and salvation. There are certainly whole sections of the NT they steer clear of: John 6 (unless you eat my flesh, etc), Romans 8 (abba father), because these are no relevance to those who do not have a heavenly hope.

• Loris
    Loris

You are absolutely right. They cringe if you say The Lord Jesus Christ in any sentence. It is in their own Bible for goodness sake! But to combine the Lord with Jesus is just too much for them to handle.

Loris

• Maverick
    Maverick

I concur, they don't even like to call him Jesus Christ, they call him Christ Jesus instead most of the time. The WTS is a corporation selling God insurance, why do they need Jesus, they have the sayings of everlasting BS! Jesus just gets in the way! Maverick

• metatron
    metatron

I commend you! You have articulated EXACTLY what I've felt and tried to say for years.

Hell yes! They are embarrassed by faith in Jesus! They cringe to call him Lord. They cringe to call him savior.

You hit the nail on the head !

metatron

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I think you're right in that they believe Jesus' words and commands were not for the great crowd... and paying too much attention to that "fact" just makes people uncomfortable.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Phrasing things in such a manner does not conform to official Towerspeak guidelines.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Very true.

In my last congregation (1986), when I was first summoned by the elders they introduced the discussion saying: "We've noticed you're talking a lot about Jesus." In their minds "a lot" obviously meant "too much"; I asked how such a thing could be possible in a NT perspective. I can still remember their stare when I quoted 1 John 2:23 (NW):

Everyone that denies the Son does not have the Father either. He that confesses the Son has the Father also.

Quite ironically, my next meeting with them was the judicial committee which checked my (non-)beliefs on a list of different subjects (1914, the "two hopes", etc.) and yet disfellowshipped me on the grounds of 2 John 9-11:

Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.
  • family_man
    family_man

This is an interesting topic. I know that JW's are completely works based and hide the true identity of Jesus by various means.

But to cringe when speaking of Lord Jesus - this tells you a lot about their core doctrine.

What is the official WTS response when posed with the question -"what is the road to salvation ("or I guess 1000 yrs in paradise in there case).

It would seem to obviously deceptive and unbiblical to say ""salvation is found through God's organization" outright ...

FM

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

I have to be careful of mentioning Jesus at my moms. She said of few times " you know you talk alot about Jesus, like the born agains"

Its like it hurts them to hear the title 'Lord Jesus'

E

• Will Power
    Will Power

I think deep down, JWs are embarassed about many things. They certainly act a little "anti" about Jesus around certain scriptures. Esp their identification of the abaddon in revelation as Jesus. They act so threatened that you wonder - how the hell can you claim to be spreading the same gospel as the apostles did?

I once read an article by Norm, most old timers will know who I'm talking about. It was called something like "The WT embarassing Jesus". When you see all the put downs in one place over the years, .... yikes I'd be averting eye contact too if I had to stand behind such.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit