NEWEST WT ON 666

by Mary 27 Replies latest jw friends

• City Fan
    City Fan

Czar

The great harlot is Nero's mother who committed fornication with Nero and was the inspiration of much anti-Christian persecution. Her devastation was allegorical when Nero turned on her and had her killed.

Very interesting. Doesn't it all make much more sense when you read about the history of the times. The same reason the book of Daniel makes more sense when applied to the Seleucid kings and anti-Jewish persecution.

CF.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

CF,

Absolutely. When you put it all into historical context, it makes so much more sense. And you quit trying to predict things or getting all excited about vague sentences that "seem to be fulfilled".

Nonsense. I believe in God, but the Bible is a product of men.

CZAR

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Caesar Nero

His official title was Neron Caesar (written nrwn qsr in Hebrew) the letters of which, if added together, equal 666.

N (50) R (200) W (6) N (50)

Q (100) S (60) R (200) + _____________ = 666

The Latin form of the title (which drops the final N (50) of nrwn) would equal 616, thus fitting the alternative reading. Of how many other "nominees" can this be said?

Nero certainly fits the context of the chapter and of the book of Revelation:

• he was the first emperor to persecute Christians (and he did so savagely)
    • he was the 7th emperor (head) of Rome (the Beast)
    • he fits the first century timeline and would have been relevant to the original audience
    • he was even known among his contemporaries as a "beast"
  • shotgun
    shotgun

Be careful...the WT dealing with 666 plainly states that your ideas on the number are fanciful and contrived...and they wrote the book on those two words.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Thi Chi,

• he was the 7th emperor (head) of Rome (the Beast)
  • Nero was the 5th emperor, (Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero). But I think this fits as the beast had seven heads which "are also seven kings, five of whom have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come". It makes sense to me to say that the first five emperors, up to and including Nero,were the five who had fallen, the next emperor after the civil war Vespasian is the king who "is", and his son Titus had "yet to come". Titus only ruled for 2 years and hence "must remain only a little while".

The beast is then an eighth king which goes off to perdition. This would be Domitian, who was regarded as Nero reincarnated, and who also persecuted the Christians. So the beast that was (Nero), is not (during Vespasians reign) and "is to ascend...and go to perdition" as the eighth king Domitian.

I think this solution fits better than others which view Julius Caesar as first King, or include civil war rulers such as Galba in the list.

CF.

• Mary
    Mary

Wow! Very interesting insight there about Nero!! I remember reading a while ago that many in the 1st century considered him to be The Beast of Revelation but I wasn't familiar with the other information added. This makes far more sense to me that the vague interpretation that so many religions today have about The Beast.

Excellent replies!!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

City Fan:

You are Right, but only In the strictest sense.

In those times people counted Mark Antony's Rule in Egypt and Octavian's in Western Europe as Part of the number to make the Beast, which would bring Nero to 7. The Republic was for all practical purposes, dead.(in 27 BC Octavian was granted supreme powers and the title of 'Augustus' by the Senate. The title became part of his name and it is by Augustus that we know him today and thus counted twice in his new role.). Nothing like fuzzy math......

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

There is a book, entitled Royal Blood, that details Nero's excesses for those who might want proof that Revelation is an allegory about the persecution the Christians were suffering at that time.

CZAR

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit