Soccer!!!

by Badger 24 Replies latest social physical

• Badger
    Badger

Ole, ole ole ole....

1) The H.S. team I coach is on a four game unbeaten streak (3W-0L-1D-13GF-5GA)

2) MLS starts soon...Dallas!

3) Man U is losing, losing. LOSING the EPL. (one-nil to the Ar-sen-al...)

4) AC MIlan is tearing through Serie A and will claim a back-to-back Champs League.

5) Howard, Friedel, Keller...The best porteros in England are Yanks!

6) 3 billion fans can't be wrong.

• yxl1
    yxl1

This year belongs to Arsenal...Come on you gunners!!!!!!!

• Englishman
    Englishman
    This year belongs to Arsenal...Come on you gunners!!!!!!!

Well, yeah. alt But not this Saturday. 6pm. Fratton Park. FA Cup Quarter Final. Portsmouth versus Arsenal. We might just have our hands full here.. Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

But will our 'Arry be smiling?

• Badger
    Badger

Arsenal...not a huge gunner fan. Liverpool for me, so I like anyone who can take down the Red Devils.

I'm likeing what Chelsea's doing by trying to get competitive...but after the last few weeks, the gunners have their number.

• yxl1
    yxl1

Its goona be a onesided fight..!!!

Portsmouth v Arsenal - An FA Cup history

George Graham and Pompey's Colin Blant in 1971

By Owen Pinch

Despite both clubs having a long and proud history, Arsenal and Portsmouth have met on just three previous occasions in the FA Cup.

Pompey have yet to register a win over Arsenal in the famous old competition, and another good omen for the Gunners is that whenever the two teams have met we have never failed to reach the final.

The first meeting, a fifth round tie in 1932, saw the Gunners run out 2-0 winners at Fratton Park with goals from Hulme and Bastin.

Arsenal then went on to beat Huddersfield Town in the quarter-finals and Manchester City in the semi's before losing 2-1 in the final to Newcastle United.

There was a gap of 39 years before the two teams were again pulled out of the velvet bag together.

FA Cup Head-to-Head
    PlayedArsenal winsDrawsPortsmouth wins

It was the legendary 1971 FA Cup run, and Arsenal had already disposed of non-league Yeovil Town in the third round.

Portsmouth were our opponents in the fourth round and went one-nil down, thanks to a Peter Storey penalty. Arsenal seemingly had the tie wrapped up until the final minute when Pompey's Mike Trebilcock popped-up to earn the home side a replay at Highbury.

FA Cup record at Fratton Park
    PlayedArsenal winsDrawsPortsmouth wins

Arsenal made no mistake at home winning 3-2 with goals from Charlie George and the two 'Peters' Simpson and Storey.

Arsenal of course went on to win the FA Cup that season, beating Manchester City, Leicester City, Stoke City and finally Liverpool to clinch the elusive 'Double.'

FA Cup record v Portsmouth
    DateRoundH/A/NW/D/LFA
    01/02/19714th ReplayHW32
    23/01/19714thAD11
    13/02/19325thAW20

[04 March 2004]

• Englishman
    Englishman

George Graham and Pompey's Colin Blant in 1971

Hey! I watched that game! The place was packed!

As I recall it, George Graham handled the ball away from the goal and the ref missed it. The Fratton End went potty.

Then, in the closing minutes, Trebilcock equalised, so the replay was on.

At the time I was still a dub and went to the game in the company of several other JW's.

The replay was at Highbury, but it was also being played on a meeting night. The witnesses present skipped the meeting and journeyed up to London to see it. I couldn't get hold of a ticket. Damn!

Thanks for the memory.

Englishman.

PS. The old stroller actually spent a season at Pompey towards the end of his career.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Mike,

Since our 'Arry's an east-ender, there won't be too much love for the Gunners from him! So at least the boss will be 'going for it'!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Badger
    Badger

Meanwhile, on this side of the pond...

Our lads are gonna beat the crap out of Mexico again! Apr. 28.

And don't brag about the Gunners too much until they put away Celta Vigo.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Mighty Arsenal storm on with a well deserved 1 - 5 win over Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

Although I do suspect that Pompey may well have the most supportive crowd in the Football League!

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit