The Right to Discriminate

by RubyTuesday 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

both, Derek... but I am discriminating in a non-proscribed way.

In my experience, it's easy for the straight white males to think that "common sense" will out, and prevent any kind of racial bias. I am one, I know.

Look, derek, I look white too... and I grew up in California, and I saw with my own two eyes what some people will do if allowed to. My mom does not look white - and she had to ride in the back of a bus as a child on a family visit in the South.

Just because you've never tried to take advantage of it does not mean it doesn't happen. We pink apes are afraid of what's different, until we learn that we don't have to be - and thos laws are sometimes the only way we do find out that we don't have to be afraid of those who are different. Look at stories written by white kids in schools that were segregated in the American South, and how that experience changed their views on blacks.

And sir, if I may point out - you have not constructed an argument yet, formally speaking - you just made a statement, as did I. :)

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    The point is, haters are shit. They kill their own children and blame it on the world.

You seem to equate discrimination with hate...this is a non-sequiter. Discrimination isn't (necessarily) based on hate.

Employers discriminate all the time in the hiring process. If I'm a bank manager, I discriminate between the two college grads I have for the Loan Officer position...one earned her degree attending night school while working as a waitress, the other earned his degree in prison after serving 5-10 for robbery...who am I gonna hire? That, friends, is discrimination.

I own a duplex, live in one half with my wife and small kids, and rent the other half. The two applicants for the other duplex are a single mother of four and a registered sex offender...who do I pick to rent to? This is discrimination.

I run the Democratic National Committee and need to hire a Public Affairs Officer, the three applicants, equally qualified are a democrat, a known (and loud) republican, and an independent. Does the republican get the job? This is discrimination...in fact this was all discrimination...was any of it based on hate?

The Government discriminates in it's hiring practices...the military DEFINITELY discriminates in hiring.

I discriminate on who I choose to trade with at the local stores.

So again, not all discrimination is wrong, nor is is necessarily hate based.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    Employers discriminate all the time in the hiring process.

If they do, they better have a good reason for doing so or it's against the law.

If I'm a bank manager, I discriminate between the two college grads I have for the Loan Officer position...one earned her degree attending night school while working as a waitress, the other earned his degree in prison after serving 5-10 for robbery...who am I gonna hire? That, friends, is discrimination.

Actually, technically it's not. An employer would be well within their rights to deny employment to a person who will be exposed to large amounts of cash if that person had been convicted of theft because it directly relates to the position they are applying for, thus it's not discriminatory. If the person had been convicted of a different crime having nothing to do with theft it would be different. If they had served time for drunk driving for example- that would have nothing to do with them working with cash and if they were not hired for the position they could sustain a claim for discrimination and it would be up to them to prove they were discrimated against in a court of law. Using unrelated things to make employment hiring decisions is against the law and doesn't pertain to "the right" to discriminate for the sake of this "discussion"

If I teach my child that they should "discriminate" and not hang out with drug dealers on the corner, am I teaching them something "wrong"? Or, if I tell my child not to hang out with a known child pediphile, to discriminate between well intentioned/ not well intentioned individuals to protect himself, is that wrong? I don't think so.

I think there is some confusion between "discrimination" and "discernment"

disĀ·cernĀ·ment ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d
    n.
    1. The act or process of exhibiting keen insight and good judgment.
    2. Keenness of insight and judgment.

Teaching your children to steer clear of those who would endanger them in some way is not discrimination - it's "exhibiting keen insight and good judgement"

XW

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Xenawarrior,

That was the point of my post...the term discrimination is misused...and also that discrimination and hate are often seperate issues.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

This entire thread is about a word that, from the very first post, has been interpreted in multiple ways.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Below are some defined types of discrimination which are proscribed by law in the United States. If anyone believes that any of these types of discrimination should be allowed, I'd be fascinated to hear your reasoning. The text below is excerpted from the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and is available for viewing at http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/laws/majorlaw/civilr19.htm

All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this title if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:

(1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence.

(2) any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the premises of any retail establishment; or any gasoline station;

(3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and

(4) any establishment (A)(i) which is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this subsection, or (ii) within the premises of which is physically located any such covered establishment, and (B) which holds itself out as serving patrons of such covered establishment.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

C'mon, somebody has to take a shot at this one...:)

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

So I take it that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 gets a pass?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit