unused scriptures

by galaxy7 13 Replies latest jw friends

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

Has anyone ever figured out how many scriptures the witnesses dont use in all their publications?

it seems they use the same ones over and over

• blondie
    blondie

I used to help my hubbie with the Bible Highlights part on the TMS. I would look up every verse and see if the WTS had something to say about it. There are a lot of unused scriptures.

Most used.

Matthew 24:14 and 28:19,20

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

That's a really great point! I had never really considered that until I checked out:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

• Gopher
    Gopher

They use the same rotation of scriptures repeatedly -- that support their doctrines. Other scriptures they attempt to "explain away" or use other verses like a pacman to eat up the verse they don't have an explanation for.

Example -- when Jesus is quoted as saying about a man performing miracles in Jesus' name, but wasn't "with the group [organization]" -- he said "leave him alone, for whoever isn't against us is for us".

That scripture is explained away as being only for the time prior to the establishment of the congregation, and not relevant as people NEED to be with the organization now.

If that is true, then why was the verse even recorded? Aren't ALL scriptures inspired and beneficial for teaching and setting things straight??

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

They've never been too keen on Obadiah, but who is.

• heathen
    heathen

I think the one that I feel they intentionally ignore has to do with women learning in silence or the one where thomas used the statement my lord and my God in reference to jesus . I don't think they use Ezekiel a whole lot . I really don't think they interpret the scriptures pertaining to the memorial supper correctly as I've never heard them read the scripture that says he that eats and drinks prior to the event should stay home . It really is supposed to be a supper and not a little snack that people just pass around a plate claiming they aren't worthy .

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Example -- when Jesus is quoted as saying about a man performing miracles in Jesus' name, but wasn't "with the group [organization]" -- he said "leave him alone, for whoever isn't against us is for us".

That scripture is explained away as being only for the time prior to the establishment of the congregation, and not relevant as people NEED to be with the organization now.

Sounds like a Curve Ball line of reasoning... they throw out an answer... but fail to back it up with scriptural proof!

• dustyb
    dustyb

they like to quote paul when he speaks of "works". but they don't like to quote pauls letters when paul tells that he's rebuked the Jerusalem old men many times and that he's not a follower of men, but of christ. they seem not like that =D

• Dawn
    Dawn

Matthew 24:27 "For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man."

Pretty hard to argue his coming will be invisible with that scipture!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Oh, how I wish I'd kept some of the stuff I did before.

But, even though I can't prove it...I went through the first version of the 30s-60s index, and made a list of all the scriptures that were not referenced therein.

The omissions were all nondescript. The nearly 40,000-page manuscript of everything the WTS has printed in the last 120 years, leaves very little room for non-comment; no Scripture left un-turned.

This was a Publishing House, and Publish they did..even now I hear the clank and click of the typograph machines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit