Governing Buzzards - Part 7 - Did Rutherford have a Mistress?

by Amazing 29 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I wonder who Edith White was? She had records (78rpm) produced featuring classical pieces on the "Watchtower organ"

on the Columbia label. I'm curious because I once asked an elderly Witness relative why the WTS was involved with record

production and the only answer I got was that "the Judge liked her/her music".

Wasn't there a story circulated that a brother actually found evidence that Rutherford slept with his housekeeper/dietician

and Rutherford threatened him into silence? I know that there was evidence that the Judge allowed gay brothers to run the

Branch in Canada - which Knorr took care of after his ascension to power.

metatron

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Alf3831,

We need more research like you have done.

Are you planning a book?

From the info you provided, I found the following about Rutherford's son

Malcolm C. Rutherford, born 10 Nov 1892, died 22 Jun 1989, place of death Arcadia, Los Angeles, CA 91006 SS# 551-68-0432

This will provide people with a starting point to do further research.

It might be useful to find any newspaper obituary written for Malcolm.

--VM44

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi ALF3831,

Sexy underwear that she was wearing in the 1960's? Cmon, Rutherford had been dead for 20 years and you show that as some sort of proof?

I never said that ... you are taking a minor point made by Larc, and attempting to manipulate it to say that is the linch-pin of the account. To be intellectually honest, let's add in the rest of the facts:

1. Berta leaves her husband to go to Bethel, and then divorces her husband.

2. She immediately gets assigned to a privileged position instead of waiting to work her way up the ranks.

3. She accompanies and lives with Rutherford the rest of his life.

4. I conclude with the remark that the REST OF THE STORY will be made available in the next part when the documented information from the Olin Moyle trial is brought out.

You fail to mention any of this though it is clearly stated in my opening post. Fascinating. Finally, I never conclude or attempt to prove that Rutherford has a mistress, with sex photos ... rather, I ask the question, tell the story as relayed to me by Larc, the nephew of Berta ... and show that at least a strong possibility existed that she was Rutherford's mistress ... now, let's see what is shown in Part 8, The Olin Moyle Trial, and then shower me with loving criticism.

Anyway, your additional information is interesting. It is mostly common knowledge, and is not relevant to this account, but thanks for sharing anyway.

Thanks, Jim W.

• minimus
    minimus

How does anyone know whether or not Rutherford was impotent or suffering from some form of impotence. He was a sick man, right? Maybe he had a posse' that stayed with him, wherever he went. Maybe he was a closet homosexual. Maybe he didn't love women.........Here's something you might find interesting. When I was pioneering in the 70's, a man answered the door and screamed at us, "JUDGE RUTHERFORD MADE MY WIFE LEAVE ME. JUDGE RUTHERFORD MADE MY WIFE LEAVE ME". Evidently, this man lost his zeal for the "truth" and his wife approached Rutherford for advice. She was told, as we heard it, that she should rightfully leave her husband. The man felt that his wife took up with Rutherford and that's why they divorced. We studied with this guy for a quite a few months but he couldn't get past that Rutherford made his wife leave him and insinuated strongly that Rutherford and his wife were together.......Gee, I wonder if this could be the same woman. Or perhaps it was true. I dunno. I'm too obtuse to know anything.

• Alf3831
    Alf3831

VM44,

We need more research like you have done.

Are you planning a book?

I did some research on Rutherford about 8 years ago. I was unable to complete it, though I still have my old notes, documentation and interviews. I considered writing a book, but my research wasnt complete and was not enough to fill a book. There is some good information that can be obtained from the Moyle transcripts, but I have come to conclude that there is always two sides to a story, and I dont take either the Judge nor Moyle's side of the story at face value.

Alf3831

• Alf3831
    Alf3831

Amazing,

I said the following:

Sexy underwear that she was wearing in the 1960's? Cmon, Rutherford had been dead for 20 years and you show that as some sort of proof?

You then responded with the following:

I never said that ... you are taking a minor point made by Larc, and attempting to manipulate it to say that is the linch-pin of the account. To be intellectually honest, lets' add in the rest of the facts:

I did not mean to imply that this was the only point made in your post. However, this piece of info in and of itself is meaningless, and neither proves or provides any circumstantial evidence.

You then cite the following:

1. Berta leaves her husband to go to Bethel, and then divorces her husband.

2. She immediately gets assigned to a privileged position instead of waiting to work her way up the ranks.

3. She accompanies and lives with Rutherford the rest of his life.

4. I conclude with the remark that the REST OF THE STORY will be made available in the next part when the documented information from the Olin Moyle trial is brought out.

1. Someone leaving their mate to go to bethel and divorcing their husband, doesnt mean they are having an affair with Rutherford, sorry......

2. Just because she gets assigned a special position, is nothing new, as I have stated before. This was commonplace back then. I gave other examples, such as Bert Schroeder. I am sure other stories of favortism exist.

3. Also, there are many that lived and accompanied Rutherford during this time period. Shall we conclude that since he had a close relationship with William Heath, and lived with him at times, means they may have had homosexual tendencies? Cmon, Rutherford constantly maintained a staff with him...this piece is not as damaging as I am sure you had hoped.

4. It has been nearly 10 years since I have read the Moyle transcripts. Would be interested to know your conclusions based on the testimony provided by both Moyle and the WT respondents.

You fail to mention any of this though it is clearly stateing in my opening post. Fascinating. Finally, I never conclude or attempt to prove that Rutherford has a mistress, with sex photos ... rather, I ask the question, tell the story as relayed to me by Larc, the nephew of Berta ... and show that at least a strong possibility existed that she was Rutgherford's mistress ... now, let's see what is shown in Part 8, The Olin Moyle Trial, and then shower me with loving criticism.

I did provide a response to the issue of favortism and the meaningless info on the "special underwear." I did not read in your post that you conclude that Rutherford did in fact have a mistress, given your lack of substantive evidence. However by citing Larc's info and posting them with your comments, shows that you imply it and as such feel this is simply shoddy baseless research and commentary.

Anyway, your additional information is interesting. It is mostly common knowledge, and is not relevant to this account, but thanks for sharing anyway.

The information I provided proved that Berta was not alone residing with Rutherford, rather there is substantial information indicating that Rutherford maintained a staff with him on a continual basis. This proves that Berta in all likelihood could not have had an affair with Rutherford. Also, the issue of favortism was shown to be meaningless. All additional information was simply provided to correct your inaccurate statements.

Hope this helps.

Alf3831

• MikeGanas
    MikeGanas

I don't see why this post is getting the third degree the way it is. The Empire covers over child molesters for cryin out loud! Do you think corruption in "Jehovah's Organization", emphasis on organization of course, is a new phenomenon? Suprise!

Jim, keep up the good work. I think I'm going to go back and dig up your "Justice" series and put some bttt's on it.

Mike.

• Amazing
    Amazing

ALF,

"I did not read in your post that you conclude that Rutherford did in fact have a mistress, given your lack of substantive evidence."

Yes you did. You specifically cited the underwear as my only basis for attempting to prove that Rutherford had a mistress. Your claim is what it is ... you said it ... and now you are making a shoddy attempt to deny it. Sorry, I don't buy your BS. Can I prove Rutherford had a mistress? No ... I believe the possibility exist ... and I am relying on what Larc, Berta's nephew, had to say given this is talked about in his family.

However by citing Larc's info and posting them with your comments, shows that you imply it and as such feel this is simply shoddy baseless research and commentary.

The post was not shoddy research ... it is a testimony by Larc, a person who would certainly have a basis for knowing the facts. Do I suggest the possibility that Berta was Rutherford's mistress? Of course. Yet, the post was stated in question format ... and the question is still to be answered. My post is not intended to be proof positive, or anything that would hold up to an evidenciary review ... it is intended to do exactly what it did ... report a story in connection with a question ... and it ends with the "continuation" to tell more of the story. Subsequent comments by others suggest that there are other sources which acknowledge that Rutherford had a mistress.

It all sounds to me like you are just picking a fight that does not need to be fought. Your writing style reminds me of someone I know ... and will be calling ... I am not about to be caught in a humor prank as was Dave aka Seven006. ... Nope, not right now ...

The information I provided proved that Berta was not alone residing with Rutherford, rather there is substantial information indicating that Rutherford maintained a staff with him on a continual basis.

The information you provided proves nothing other than you provided information ... it was of less quality because what you stated is weak ... let's examine it:

"The post seemed to imply that only Rutherford and his dietician were amongst the Beth-Sarim residents."

No, the post never stated that in any way ... that is your own read over and your own implication ... and you know it.

"However, it has been well-documented that Beth-Sarim had many regular visitors, and a staff that lived with Rutherford."

Yes, anyone could have many visitors to their home where they live with their wife, or girfriend, or Gay lover ... visitors are meaningless to the issue, and demonstrate how strained your illogic is in human behavior.

"No mention is given of the Balko family, with their two children who maintained the grounds and had dinner at Beth-Sarim on a regular basis."

So what ... any other family working in or around Beth Sarim was not my objective .. and while the visitors and house guests slept, Rutherford could have been bouncing the bed with Berta in between the sheets ... who knows ... and my post and subsequent comments have allowed for the fact that Berta and Joseph did nothing ... Joey could have been too good for giving into the flesh ... and it is possible that when he was at the burlesque act in Germany, he blindfolded himself so he would not see all that evil flesh. Yes, Berta may not have sexually serviced Joseph Rutherford ... the story is what I relate ... but I cannot change the story from what Larc wrote just so I can please your desire for sensationalism ... Larc is the one you need to question as the source of the story about his aunt.

"Dan Sydlik mentioned meeting Rutherford at Beth-Sarim in the 6/1/85 Watchtower. Sandra Cowen, a JW in San Diego mentioned going to Beth Sarim often and mentions that there were full-time servants (WT, 3/1/92). The May 27, 1942 Consolation also discusses that a staff was maintained at Beth-Sarim. This is not to mention of William Heath, who was Rutherford's secretary before his death and stayed at the residence along with his wife. I also interviewed a James Smitha back in 1995, who was a bethelite from 1934-1936, and discussed spending several days with Rutherford and his staff at Beth-Sarim back in 1933."

I did not yet check your above cited references, but I don't recall the Society ever openly mentioning Beth Sarim in 1980 vintage Watchtower articles ... not until the "Proclaimers" book gave a gloss-over account. As I stated above, visitors at the Beth Sarim residence prove nothing one way or the other. Servants in a mansion likely live in servant quarters, etc. So, who really knows ... we will see what the Moyle Trial has to say.

Now, with all these regular visitors, including the San Diego witnesses, Knorr, and others visiting regularly, and the full-time staff at the residence. Also, the fact that for 12 years he only spent his winters there, you think he was able sneek around with his dietician?

First, Berta traveled with the Judge ... and she went with him on European trips and other places around the world ... so, perhaps they were able to sneak in quickies in their little room on their long trip across the Atlantic ...or maybe in the back of the greyhound bus between San Diego and New York. Opps, they took trains back then. Come on ... what are you really fighting about here?

Second, the Judge did not have to sneak ... he only had to command ... and anyone who knew anything about Joseph (Judge-for-a-day) Rutherford knows well that the Judge did what the Judge wanted to do ... and no one had better question him ... as Watchtower attorney, Olin Moyle discoverd ... and was confirmed to me in my interview with Olin Moyle's grand-daughter.

This proves that Berta in all likelihood could not have had an affair with Rutherford. Also, the issue of favortism was shown to be meaningless. All additional information was simply provided to correct your inaccurate statements.

You have proven nothing one way or the other ... you have made counter-claims without any proof ... so what ... again as you seem to avoid like the plague, I clearly left my post to be concluded with the documented evidence in court records to tell the rest of the story ... soooo ... maybe my suggestion is inaccurate, in which case I will draw the conclusion as you have done. Unlike you, however, I will be using proven evidence. AND maybe, just maybe, the conclusion that Berta Teel Peale was Rutherford's honey-pie is true ... stay tuned.

"Hope this helps."

Not really, but thanks for trying. - Jim Whitney

• Alf3831
    Alf3831

Jimmy,

My response to your post was to simply show that the to imply that the Judge had a mistress and discuss it in a public forum, with such limited resources is irresponsible in my opinion. The minimal information I provided was posted to provide an alternative, that your post did not or possible would not explore.

Obviously the Judge had some issues. Whether he having a mistress is fact or not, who can honestly make that claim today. I have admired some of your posts in the past, and to involve yourself in claims based on limited/thin possibilities is rather beneath your other more substantive posts. That is all I was hoping to accomplish in responding to your post.

I look forward to reading your comments on the Moyle trial.

Sincerely,

Alf3831

PS. The Judge was actually judge for 4-days not one.

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI Alfie (ALF3831)

My response to your post was to simply show that the to imply that the Judge had a mistress and discuss it in a public forum, with such limited resources is irresponsible in my opinion. The minimal information I provided was posted to provide an alternative, that your post did not or possible would not explore.

Once again, if you read the very bottom of my original post you will see there is a continuation planned ... therefore more material ... and all I am trying to get across is that I am not done yet ... so maybe, just maybe, this may be less irresponsible than you think.

The issue of Rutherford having a Mistress has been around long before and after I was involved in the religion ... and so dealing with it does not mean I will conclude that he had one, but I will show what I have and then provide a conclusion if it is warranted.

Obviously the Judge had some issues. Whether he having a mistress is fact or not, who can honestly make that claim today. I have admired some of your posts in the past, and to involve yourself in claims based on limited/thin possibilities is rather beneath your other more substantive posts. That is all I was hoping to accomplish in responding to your post.

I appreciate your fair criticism ... and I have yet to make a claim ... I have only asked questions to address a very old issue that is not yet resolved to my satisfaction.

I look forward to reading your comments on the Moyle trial.

Thanks ... I think you will enjoy what I present.

PS. The Judge was actually judge for 4-days not one.

Actually, Joseph Rutherford was ""never"" an appointed Judge. He was asked to fill in for a sitting Judge for 4 days while the Judge was away. This is very commonplace for an attorney to be asked to fill in for sitting Judges. HOWEVER ... he only had a docket for one (1) day ... with 4 cases on the docket ... two cases were rescheduled ... so Joseph Franklin Rutherford only heard two ""minor"" cases on one day. Hence, since he so loved to embellish his title as Judge, I have merely noted that in real time he was only a Judge-for-a-day ... kind of like the old TV show, Queen-for-a-day.

Likewise, the issue of him practicing before the US Supreme Court is greatly embellished ... I did a post on that and can bring it up if I did it on this board ... I don't recall for sure ... I will have to dig around for it.

Jim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit