Have You Renounced Everything Jehovah's Witnesses Believe In?

by minimus 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

May I re-phrase that question? Have you stepped out of the slippery manure pile and onto the solid earth? Yes. Have you removed the glaucoma shells from your eyes? Yes. Have you unplugged the wax from your ears? Yes. Does the term Society have a negative primary meaning to you? Yes. Does the term Elder make you chuckle? Yes. Does the phrase Christian Love give you cause for derision? Yes. So yeah I guess so, yeah.

Panda

• yxl1
    yxl1

Yes. Pretty much turned my back on Christianity.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I don't believe in the Trinity or in lizard people. Apart from the trivial though, I don't think I hold any beliefs in common with JWs.

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I'm with you CountryGuy,

I still believe some teachings, but don't know if THEY still believe them! A lot of things have already changed. Some of the things I couldn't do as a young person is accepted today, etc....it makes my blood boil!

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Your Results:
    The top score on the list below represents the faith that Belief-O-Matic, in its less than infinite wisdom, thinks most closely matches your beliefs. However, even a score of 100% does not mean that your views are all shared by this faith, or vice versa.

Belief-O-Matic then lists another 26 faiths in order of how much they have in common with your professed beliefs. The higher a faith appears on this list, the more closely it aligns with your thinking.

How did the Belief-O-Matic do? Discuss your results on our message boards.

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)

2. New Age (90%) 3. Unitarian Universalism (85%) 4. Liberal Quakers (84%) 5. Reform Judaism (83%) 6. Bahá'í Faith (79%) 7. Mahayana Buddhism (73%) 8. Sikhism (71%) 9. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (70%) 10. Theravada Buddhism (63%) 11. Secular Humanism (62%) 12. Jainism (61%) 13. New Thought (57%) 14. Scientology (56%) 15. Orthodox Judaism (54%) 16. Taoism (54%) 17. Hinduism (49%) 18. Islam (48%) 19. Orthodox Quaker (44%) 20. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (39%) 21. Nontheist (37%) 22. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (28%) 23. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (27%) 24. Eastern Orthodox (25%) 25. Roman Catholic (25%) 26. Seventh Day Adventist (16%) 27. Jehovah's Witness (6%) Interesting that JW's came bottom of the list. I answered the questions honestly and didn't realise the dubs were in there
  • franklin J
    franklin J

with the exception of being good to my fellow man; and self discipline; yes, I have rejected all the JW set of beliefs

• Loris
    Loris

My beliefs in the separateness of the Father and Son, soul sleep, no hell fire were mine before I joined the dubs. It was the fact that they seemed to be the only ones teaching those things that got me hooked.

I, like Wednesday, would like to find a group that shares those beliefs without the high control issues. I have family that is Methodist. They frown on movies and dancing. More control.

Loris

• alias
    alias
    Now that you don't practice the religion, is it safe to say that you reject everything that you were taught???

Certainly not. Many things I've been taught have served me well. alias

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I don't believe in the Trinity or in lizard people.

Have the JW's specifically said they don't believe in lizard people? You never know, there could be "new light." But on the thread topic: I think the question as framed begs for a JW-style, all-or-nothing answer. Either you believe it all, or you reject everything. I don't think anybody is 100% wrong about everything. I mean, are the JW's wrong when thay say we should be kind to others? The point is that, as JW's, the Watchtower Society was our authority, and we believed things because it taught them. What I realized when I figured out that the WTS was not what it claimed to be was that I could no longer accept anything that I had learned from the WTS on that basis - since they were an unreliable source, everything they had taught me was suspect, and needed to be investigated and verified, or else rejected. Because of our different paths, experiences, mental frameworks and biases, most of us in this forum have come to differing conclusions about what is true. But hopefully we have gotten to where we are through honest inquiry and thoughtful investigation - as opposed to the past, when we just swallowed whatever was put before us. It was that mindless acceptance that was the problem, not specific beliefs or doctrines.

• Room 215
    Room 215

What it seems to boil down is that JWs are simply another religion; admirable in some respects, deplorable in others; right about some things, wrong about others. Their intolerance of dissent, insistence on unwavering conformity under pain of shunning, anti-intellectualism, unwarranted sense of superiority, judgmentalism and lack of any social conscience are the things that cause the greater number of disaffections, far more so than their fundamental doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit