Sat. Dist. Conv.--Cracking the whip!

by LostMyReligion 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Many thanks LMR for your full 'round up' of the day's events!

At long last they're doing something about the format of the Ministry School but it looks like shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic to me!
    When will they get to give instruction on the Bible? Well, we know the answer to that, don't we? Bible Highlights in 9 minutes!! Good God, you couldn't possibly give highlights of three chapters of the Bible in that time. Still never mind, the pace quickens....

I'll give a 'thumbs up' to a new School Guidebook, but such a large book to carry to the meetings. You sisters will need bigger handbags! (No, don't hit me...please....). Can you imagine people going up with their voluminous books to get them marked after giving their talks? Oh, really!

New speech counsel points were needed. Accuracy of reading should count out most in Sydney, methinks, especially many of the elders I know. [8>]

Anyhow, thanks again for the info.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Freedom is not having to wear a tie.

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI LMR: Great notes. I have some matierial that states that JFRutherford never received a degree in law. He was a court clerk, and learned enough in the late 1800s to be able to sit through a 5 hour oral exam with other Bar attorneys. That is how he got his license to practice.

I am not belittling him for this, because it was common for men to get there law practice that way, that is a 5 hour oral exam. But, more commonly they did get a degree in law first. Rutherford never did, to my knowledge. So, this may be one of the Society's slightly embellished stories. - Amazing

• logical
    logical

Im so glad I got dragged to a very boring festival in the city than going to the DC yesterday. Looking through the boring history of Coventry was only slightly more stimulating than spiritual abuse though.

I wanted to go today for the play though. But its too late now. Oh well.

• You Know
    You Know

My, but you are an excellent note taker. I bet you used to underline all the right answers with a yellow marker too.

It's a shame about you religion though. Here's a little riddle for you that might help you find your lost religion, or maybe even get one for the first time. It has to do with the convention program.

"Sav lasav, sav lasav,
    kav lakav, kav lakav,
    zeer sham, zeer sham!"

/ You Know

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

LMR:

Thank you again.

It's interesting how they have released a book rehashing the ministry school a full year before it becomes available. Is that desperation, or what?

As for the rest, same old same old. Whips thrashing and flailing as the slaves near collapse. To use a WT phrase: how sad.

Logical: How can the history of Coventry be boring when it includes Lady Godiva?

Expatbrit

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I have some matierial that states that JFRutherford never received a degree in law. He was a court clerk, and learned enough in the late 1800s to be able to sit through a 5 hour oral exam with other Bar attorneys. That is how he got his license to practice.

I know that ten or so years ago at least, one could still become an attorney by clerking for a number of years and taking the bar. It did require a college degree, though. The only limitation was that one could not claim to be a "Jd" (Doctor of Jurisprudence) as regular attorney can. I'm not sure if that is still allowed.

Farkel

• LostMyReligion
    LostMyReligion

Thanks everyone for all the sympathy, empathy, and comments. Knowing I could share these notes with you and read your thoughts made it all a little more bearable.

teejay--
    re: your comment on nudging and pinching a child to take notes. I never really pinched, but I did nudge and urge. Both of my children, ( the JW one and the one who walked away) say they had good childhoods, and do not feel scarred by that way of life. NOW, I am happy for the one who chose a different path, and hope he can live a fulfilling life without me trying to beat him with guilt for leaving. The JW one says he is happy as he is. He has always been a serious-minded, responsible person, even as a young child. I am glad he is satisfied with his life . Of course, knowing what I know now, I wish he could see the reality of the "truth". But as long as he and his wife are happy, I will stand by for the day they may become disillusioned.
    Obviously, if I had young children now, I would do differently. (a believing mate would make it harder) But even as a witness, I tried to educate my children to look skeptically at various claims they may encounter, such as advertising or other persuasive materials. Of course, the "truth" was always an exception to this procedure.
    I wish you the best with your daughter.

Lindy---
    I had this thought too, they never even said,"Jehovah willing" about the Jan 2003 date for the new TMS. In fact, there was a noticeable decrease in the talk of the nearness of Armageddon.

ozziepost---
    I wondered about lugging those books up to get marked, too. Sounds like a drag!

Amazing---
    Aren't they all embellished to some extent. The couple of times I personally knew those who gave assembly experiences, the reality of their overall situation was of a distinctly different flavor than the experience might lead one to imagine.

Farkel--enjoyed your commentary!

Gosh, I really feel like I am a part of things here now. I have been insulted by You Know! Actually, as I said above, I took so many notes so I could share here; and I have never marked WTs, with a yellow marker or any other!

You Know---
    I have been trying close to 30 years to hold onto my religion at these conventions. I guess I could try the "lost & found" department, but I think it would be an exercise in futility. I know for sure I won't find it from the speakers platform. But Thanks for your concern!

LMR

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Does anybody else thing being a JW is like being trapped in a time warp like the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray? Every day he would relive the day before...wake up to "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher on the clock radio..know EXACTLY what was going to happen, what was going to be said by people and there was no ESCAPE from it all. JWism is a NIGHTMARE of epic proportions!

So some schmuck studied a freakin HOUR AND A HALF A DAY and all he saw for his efforts was an IMPROVEMENT IN HIS COMMENTS AT MEETINGS?? Oh just SHOOT me now.

Thanks for the notes babe...my husband has so far not even MENTIONED the district assembly. I wonder if he is gonna go. As it is, when he does go to meetings he goes (like today) over an hour LATE! Cant be too enthusiastic about it now can he. :)

• metatron
    metatron

Cute application of Isaiah's critics' words.

Trouble is, with all the lies and false prophecy generated
    by the Watchtower, you may as well just repeat the
    "sham" part over and over again

metatron

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hmmmm.

Perhaps when the elders eventually ask their inevitable questions about why I'm not attending meetings, I can claim that in fact I am, but I'm just two hours late for all of them. Poor timekeeping isn't yet a df'ing or da'ing offense, is it?

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit