Sat. Dist. Conv.--Cracking the whip!

by LostMyReligion 28 Replies latest jw friends

• LostMyReligion
    LostMyReligion

I have put in my final day at this year's test of posterior endurance---Saturday at the District Convention, 2001

I took quite a few notes today, because some had specifically asked about Saturday's program. I hope all will be suitably edified by them.

Do not just listen to bits and pieces of the program, but to the whole thing. It is like a doctor's program of prescription, all is needed. Can't just take some and leave other parts. ( So no sleeping, or thinking about that home project you plan to do, More on this.)

Symposium--- Ministers through Whom We Became Believers

Story-- 2 sisters were in FS and came to a lawyers office, hesitated a little and then went in. A 6'2" 225 lb. lawyer came out, but to their surprise, he took their literature. This was not because he really wanted to read it, but because he had promised himself that if anyone ever came to his office "selling" books, he would take them. This because he had put himself through law school as an encyclopedia salesman and had a very rough time doing it. Eventually he did read the literature he had taken from the sisters, and appreciated what it said so much that he wrote a letter of thanks to the Society. Now we do not know the names of those 2 sisters, but we do know the name of the lawyer---J. F. Rutherford!
    (you never know what will grow from those seeds you plant. )

Cultivating and Watering the Seeds
    We are doing a historical work. If we help one person, andthey make it thru Armageddon, and have children and grandchildren, etc., then all of those people have been affected by our teaching.
    (what about all those potential innocent offspring of those killed at Armageddon, do they deserve death any more than the others deserve life. Neither had any say in the actions of their progenitors.)

Experience: A sister befriended the opposed wife of a new witness. Wife sais she couldn't study because she worked full time and had lots of errands to do on the weekends. The sister asked her, "If someone told you that you could bring permanent benefit to your family and the only requirement to work toward this is about 1 hour a week?" the wife agreed to study.
    (and blah, blah, blah and so on. Yea, 1 hour ---to begin. If she told her how much time it really takes, the woman would have run screaming!)

Another encouraging experience:
    A man in very rural territory rode a horse 7 hours looking for someone to preach to. Finally came to a farm house, but the womanscreamed at him to leave. He was crushed, but when he went back to his horse, there were 2 children playing with it. He talked to them and left a 'Paradise" book ( you know, the scary one) Years later at an assembly a man came up to him. It was one of the children, and now he was a CO, and his brother is a special pioneer! (WOW!)

Teaching Them to Observe All Christ Commanded
    We want to reach not just the head, but the heart as well. For many people we contact, the longest journey they may make is from the head to the heart. (not that we are judging)

Who really is the FDS who gives food at proper time?That resource made available to us an abundance of food. As tese teachings penetrate the hardened hearts of our students, encourage them to widen their activities, and before and after each study, talk about organizational arrangements, the FDS, and the worldwide scope of our brotherhood with video and brochures.
    (we want to be sure they know who they answer to)
    We should encourage them to reach out to the visible part of God's org; this means go to the KH, and their former priorities should take second place.

Add to Your Endurance Godly Devotion
    You won't be discouraged or depressed if you are keeping busy in your theocratic schedule.

Finding Refreshment Under Christ's Yoke
    The yoke of Christ means taking on the responsibility of a disciple, but does it automatically refresh? Reports show that some feel increasingly unable to fulfill Christian activities, that they are barely treading water. Should you disappear & try to solve the situation away from Jehovah's people? Mt 11:28---I will refresh, my load is light. Refreshment is equated with taking his yoke. A yoke is a harness to enable one to do work or carry a heavy burden. Do not run away, but accept and take it on. Jesus said, "Learn from me". He tells us, "follow me through the directions I give through my organization."
    Concentrate, focus, put off every weight that slows us down. Has something caught your eye? 0% interest, no pymt for 2 years? How will we pay when we musr? Are we stabbing ourselves all over with many payments?
    Other weights--- getting into lucrative business opportunities, thinking we will have more time to pioneer. Now we will be tied to it and slow our spiritual activities.

One Christian brother stops himself from losing his simple, balanced life with ,"Keep it simple!" to self.
    Elder advice: Avoid debt--credit cards are spiritual enemies. Think about the spiritual consequences. We are happy and can attend all the meetings.

Another experience. In 85' a family scaled down from home & 2 cars to townhouse & 1 car. Cut back on social & recreational pursuits to make needed time for study & rest. Both are pioneers, daughter pio. 15 years. Their son has been very generous to them. ( he must be the only one with a decent job)

Baptism talk:
    What does it mean to be baptized into the father, son, & holy spirit?
    Father-- Accept Jehovah as father, sovereign, & obey his commands
    Son-- Acknowledge Jesus' sacrifice & recognize the value of the ransom
    Holy Spirit--- vital to understand the deep things of God & display fruitage of the spirit Pray for the HS to read the Bible--this is the key to unlocking understanding of it. ( I thought the WT did that for us)

To continue to progress & serve God!
    1. Schedule time for personal study, don't run off reserves, they will run out.
    "I forced myself to study 1 1/2 hrs a day & soon saw results in comments at meetings."
    2. Work on quality of prayers. Be specific, meaningful, intimate. Pray for strength of faith & loyalty.
    3. Keep in close contact with Christian cong., impossible to serve Jehovah apart from it.
    4. Take ministry seriously, you will be ordained minister after baptiam. As we live forever on earth, Jehovah will jave numerous tasks for all of us. This is the first one. (Don't we ever get to rest?)
    Carry it out to the best of your ability. If you touch a mind, you touch a person for life. (I guess that is why we are all still here on this board)

Saturday Afternoon

Do not interpret the scriptures or try to direct people's steps with our own opinions!
    Often the verses we read may be somewhat general to the student; make application of it and tailor it to the individuals needs.
    (These seemed somewhat mutually exclusive to me)

Are You Willing to Serve Others

A call for brothers to take responsibilities to shepherd the cong. Be self-sacrificing. We need help!
    Experience: A brother held back from a bit of lacking of appreciation and he had no schooling, but asked what he could do to help. He was given cleaning assignments, in 2 different congregations, lasting several years. FINALLY, he bacame an elder.
    (I guess cleaning is the key to qualification. That's why so many are janitors)

Parents---do you believe that a career in Jehovah's service is the best that they can choose? (polite applause)

(This next part seemed like a recipe for reenforcing mind control!)

"Benefit From Theocratic Education"
    Part 1 Increase Our Attention Span
    Do we get distracted by minor interruptions, crying babies? Does the phone, noise, or a child's news distract us from our study? WE should make an effort to get right back to it.
    The heart can be easily distracted. Are we thinking of shopping trips, home projects. or personal problems at the meetings? What about food, entertainment, or a member of the opposite sex? We might drift away!
    We can increase our attention span by self-discipline, and listening intently to Jehovah
    How? Personal study. Start slow, gradually increase time. Linger, don't rush. Prepare for meetings to share something. Meetings are designed to exercise our minds!
    Look up scriptures, take notes, review with others.
    To prevent sluggishness abvoid eating a heavy meal before meetings or times of instruction.
    (Now they are telling us when to EAT! On evening meetings, just when are we to eat our main meals?)
    Train your perceptive powers to distinguish between right & wrong. When we are faced with a challenge, we will know exactly what to do. (If we don't, the WT will tell us)
    Don't criticize speaker's faults, focus on the information.

(just in case you did not get the point)
    Experience: 15 year old boy, attening meetings since 5 years, baptized at 13, and already a reg. pio. had trouble paying attention as a child but parents pinched and nudged him to take notes. (Did this myself. )
    Whan asked how he prepared for meetings, said he gets rid of distractions, no tv or music, and CAN'T EAT A HEAVY MEAL, or he won't want to study.

Part #3 Make Sure of the Healthful Teaching
    Satan serves up poison teachings to ruin our spiritual health. He tries to poison us gradually by raising doubts about what we are taught from God's word and his organization. (All things being equal) Jehovah has provided a trustworthy source to identify healthful teachings and poisonous ones--the Bible.
    We can protect ourselves. Our minds constantly absorb things around. We must constantly scrutinize things we watch, listen to, and read. Like what? False media promotes selfish indulgence, philosophers advocate atheism or agnosticism, and APOSTATES tickle the ears of disgruntled ones.
    Do we have a liberal view of entertainment?
    Have we allowed curiosity to get the better of us causing us to view apostate material?
    Do we say those philosophers may ahve a good point or two?
    Is it any wonder that all such things are in direct opposition to the healthful teachings!
    Those who deviate are puffed up with pride, mentally diseased over questions about words, wicked reasonings. It leads to works of the flesh. 1Tim 6:3-5
    Protection from 2 sources, personal study and cong. meetings.
    Prepare, buy out time from other less important pursuits and activities.
    Should we not cultivate a positive attitude about what we receive at meetings and in Christian publications?
    What if it seems repetitive? We should appreciate the reminders, look for new angles and applications.

Part #4 Practice the Things You Learned

If we are to benefit from the things learned, we must practice. Could we be part of the problem people aren't responding to us in the field? (We get the blame for everything) Do we use the things we learn in the ministry school or just do our regular thing?
    Experiences promoting telephone witnessing, school witnessing, workplace witnessing.

New Provisions for Our Spiritual Advancement (Harold Jackson)

New book announced: Benefit from Theocratic Ministry Education
    288 pages, hardcover, magazine size, illustrations, 87 languages.
    to be released as available beginning early 2002. to begin use in Jan 2003.

Features counsel page in book for student, no more loose counsel slips.
    No marks of W(ork), I(mproved), or G(ood)
    Overseer will note in you book date of beginning to work on a point and when you have satisfactorily completed it.

Some new counsel points:
    naturalness, interest in other person, accurate reading

a new feature--exercises
    effective use of questions---prepare several questions to open meaningful conversation
    repetition for emphasis---repeat one improtant point at the end of a call for the person to remember
    main points stand out---review WT study article using bold headings and review questions alone. Try to discern the mmain points
    Family heads may want to use these exercises as family study projects. (it never ends)

Format changes to the Theocratic Ministry School-- Jan 2003
    1. 5 min. discussion of a speech quality and how to develop it
    2. 9 min. Bible highlights with audience participation
    3. 10 min. instruction talk
    4. 1st student talk--public reading. A simple reading from the Bible or WT article with no intre or conclusion
    5 & 6. Student talks on reasonging book or other; can be just a subject and do your own research (that could get dangerous)

Sisters to use a setting from list of 29 in new book and work through list.
    samples:
    overcoming conversation stoppers
    Bible study demo on initial call
    telephone , street witnessing
    witnessing to someone of another language
    parent reasoning with a child

Written reviews will be replaced with periodic oral reviews open to any to participate

END OF SATURDAY

Well, does your posterior feel a little numb. Stand up and sing a song while we tell you about the new donation based parking arrangement.

I hope I did not overdo it for everyone. I really felt they were cracking the whip over us. Telling us to study, study, study, meetings, meetings, service, service, and every thing else on the back burner. And if you feel tired or depressed you just need more of the above and you will be fit for God's new system. I wanted you to get the real flavor of what it is like. It makes me have compassion for what the R&F goes through ( that's still me for most purposes), and why so many can't break out or may even when they may treat us badly. The pressure was so great to do more, more, more, and the experiences are so idealized and at the extreme end of what anyone can do.

LMR

• Jang
    Jang

And I have just finished my dinner .....

How you sat through that I don't know ..... you have my sympathy, empathy and every other path I can draw upon - for you and all who had to sit through that drivel!!!!

JanG
    CAIC Website: http://caic.org.au/zjws.htm
    Personal Webpage: http://uq.net.au/~zzjgroen/

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Thank you. Excellent notes. Sad to see the beatings continue.

Path

• Tina
    Tina

The beatings will continue until morale improves!! lol

• esther
    esther

LMR, you have done a marvellous job. At least we have your terrific comments to liven up the talks. I am so thankful that I won't be going to any more conventions. I feel for those who have to go. It is bad enough when you think it is the truth, but it is worse when you know it is all a lie.

Now we do not know the names of those 2 sisters, but we do know the name of the lawyer---J. F. Rutherford!

I just wonder how those sisters would have felt if they had known that the literature they placed would enable a misogynist to become the next president of the org.

esther

• chester
    chester

LMR,

Thank you for sharing your notes with us.

My wife attended the assembly on Saturday and seemed to be in a bad mood when she got home.

I thought it was because she was just tired. I see she was also beat to death.

I agree with what esther said

I am so thankful that I won't be going to any more conventions. I feel for those who have to go. It is bad enough when you think it is the truth, but it is worse when you know it is all a lie.

Thanks again
    Chester

• nojw86
    nojw86

My hat goes off to you for sitting (OUCH) through all of that. Do they have a live orchestra with violins tugging at heart strings, when they tell of their experiences, geeesh. So glad we are out. nojw

• Farkel
    Farkel

Great stuff!

Reagarding my earlier comments about the dearth of experiences we have these priceless gems:

: Now we do not know the names of those 2 sisters, but we do know the name of the lawyer---J. F. Rutherford!

When out of current experiences, share on that is over one hundred years old!

: He talked to them and left a 'Paradise" book ( you know, the scary one) Years later at an assembly a man came up to him. It was one of the children, and now he was a CO, and his brother is a special pioneer!

Or how about one that is forty years old?

: In 85' a family scaled down from home & 2 cars to townhouse & 1 car.

But just to keep things in perspective, how about one that is
    sixteen years old?

(Doncha have any new experiences, WT? Can't you GET A CLUE that your stupid cult is falling apart?)

: Mt 11:28---I will refresh, my load is light. Refreshment is equated with taking his yoke. A yoke is a harness to enable one to do work or carry a heavy burden. Do not run away, but accept and take it on.

This is the kind of shit that sickens me to no end: incessant scripture twisting to suit their agenda.

1) Jesus said to take HIS yoke: his load is LIGHT
    2) Watchtower said yokes implying ALL YOKES are for carrying HEAVY burdens.
    3) Therefore Jesus was telling you to work your ass off for the Watchtower Book-Selling Corporation.

That logic makes perfect sense only to those steeped in Orwellian double-think.

: To prevent sluggishness abvoid eating a heavy meal before meetings or times of instruction.

Did it ever dawn on those bozos that the sluggishness is because of the mind-numbing, mesmerizing horseshit they dish out at meetings?

: Well, does your posterior feel a little numb. Stand up and sing a song while we tell you about the new donation based parking arrangement.

Translation: we got busted with our lying to the stadium administrators scam.

Farkel

• teejay
    teejay

LMR,

You have my undying admiration. Like Jan said, “how you sat through that
    I’ll never know.”
    Knowing that it’s all bs it makes my skin crawl and if I’m
    present, I get thirsty all the time or my legs need stretching or my bladder
    fills up every ten minutes or I wonder if I left the windows down on the car
    (I can be so forgetfull sometimes). Funny how all that happens so much now
    when it didn’t use to. I can’t figure it out -- must be getting older.

The story about the lawyer who’d put himself through college and so
    empathized with all other book sellers was darkly amusing. I wonder if,
    when he read those first two magazines, he saw from the writing and subject
    matter that, “yeah, this is a group that’s ripe for the plundering”? I wonder
    if he envisioned the mansion in Southern Cally and the 16 cylinder caddies
    from the beginning or if those thoughts didn’t materialize until a long time
    later. Hearing any approving applause at that point would’ve forced me out
    of the joint. That guy was a scoundrel, and I’m being nice, and I’d have an
    awful hard time being quiet about hearing him being lauded in any way.

Experience: 15 year old boy, attening meetings since 5 years, baptized at
    13, and already a reg. pio. had trouble paying attention as a child but
    parents pinched and nudged him to take notes. (Did this myself.)

Did you really? With a young daughter of my own, I wonder: how do you
    REALLY feel about your son’s future as a JW?

For now that’s all I have to say. I will forward these notes along as I have
    the other two days. Except for a fellow ex-JW buddy whose response was
    so R-rated (“why the f*** did you send me this god******* bull****… --
    he made me laugh out loud, he was as mad as I knew he’d be!) that I’d
    rather not pass it along to you, I have not heard a single peep from any of
    my emailees. Oh, one young friend told me I spoiled the drama for her.
    Ooops!

Good work, you poor guy.

peace,
    todd

• Lindy
    Lindy

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

I noticed that the experiences were from older times. Nothing modern. Nothing new exciting is happening enough to bring out, so they bring something from the past and apply it for today like it is significant. I guess the "new seeds that are planted" aren't sprouting and growing.

The new book and schedule is for 2003? Two years from now! Well I guess that the "new system" is not very near is it? It isn't even out yet and to make it worth the making it will have to be used for several years at least, so I guess that they are "subtling" letting the brothers and sisters that the end is NOT nigh!

They seem to be talking more about the bad "apostates" and reading "bad" literature at each assmebly and convention. In other words, don't think and don't dare ask any questions, just parrot what you learn at meetings.

Same stuff on "you can't make it into the new system unless you are part of "God's Organization". Study, study, study! Meetings, meetings, meetings! Bring in NEW ones! (To many old ones leaving!)Brothers reach out so we have someone to intruct at the meetings! (What they aren't saying is why they need all these new bothers because so many are either stepping down or leaving.)

Auntie Lindy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit