Urgent response needed

by benext 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    flurosol is not used. It did not work out.

oooops, Joyz...sorry....regurgitated a bit of old JWism tripe....shoulda known....

Frannie B

• Scully
    Scully

From what you've described:

The person is being shown how to inject themselves with something to build the blood up. I don't know the name but it's to be done once a week.

It sounds as though the patient is receiving a medication called Epotin or Procrit. It stimulates the body to produce red blood cells. Epotin is what is known as "recombinant human erythropoietin" - a blood fraction that is now approved by the WTS.

Here is an excerpt from a Medscape article ( http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/457482_11 ):

Recombinant human erythropoietin (Epotin Alfa, Epogen) may be utilized as a treatment for mild to moderate anemia. Generally given as a subcutaneous dose of 15-300 IU/kg 1-3 times per week, it offers all of the advantages of erythropoietin normally produced by the body. Exogenous erythropoietin will not suppress endogenous production, thus offering an advantage over transfusion in the management of anemia. To be effective, there must be sufficient erythroid precursors in the bone marrow. Additionally, to promote a normocytic, normochromic response, adequate iron stores and protein intake must be assured. Common clinical practice, therefore, is to administer 3-6 mg/kg/d of supplemental iron concurrently. Erythropoietin has demonstrated efficacy in the treatment of both anemia of prematurity and anemia due to renal failure, and has been suggested as a potential treatment for transient bone marrow suppression induced by chemotherapy (Fisher, 2003; Salsbury, 2001; Varan, Buyukpamukcu, Kutluk, & Akyuz, 1999; Widness, 2000).

I hope this helps.

Love, Scully

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

LOL Frannie, that's ok.

One last thought. Please leave medicine up to the doctors taking care of your relative. They didn't go to extensive schooling to be told what they can or cannot do by window washers, janitors, etc JWs. I applaud any physician that is willing to practice outside the standard of care to respect people's conscience. They have tried many things to help people who restrict their way of practicing.

We don't have to be medical experts to be taken care of well. But we do have to know how to think, ask questions and follow simple directions, if we care about our health.

*stepping down off my soap box* Thank you

• benext
    benext

Thank you all for your enlightening and positive responses. One of the sad things about this is there are children being taken care of by this person who will have to fall to the care of (?). The congregation will be sad up until the funeral ends and move on with their lives.

• benext
    benext

I went by the hospital last night. Tests are scheduled for today. I found out the injections are for iron. At first, the person would not speak to me directly and would talk to and through the other person there. I didn't stay long.

• Scully
    Scully

benext:

You are a good person for trying to be there for someone you care about. This despite the fact that they rudely:

At first, the person would not speak to me directly and would talk to and through the other person there. I didn't stay long.

You're the better person. I seriously doubt you'd get the same compassion from this individual if the tables were turned.

Love, Scully

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Benext,

the relative is getting InFeron. Iron shots. Slow process to build up red blood cells but do-able.

Please do not take it personally the way your relative will be treating you or other JW's that will be watching to be sure your relative's "integrity to Jehovah" is not compromised. They are under such mind control.

You may drop a suggestion to your relative or the physician about Erythropoeitin. (whatever brand name is used where you are at)

Sounds like you are showing true love for your relative.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

My mom has always had a low blood count and anemia. About six years ago, she had "routine" out-patient surgery for removal of fatty tumors on each side of her body, weighing 15-20 lbs each. She just couldn't carry these things around any longer, as she was losing her balance and the weight and look of these things did not equal out to the rest of her small frame. Even though she was very weak and had a low blood count, they went ahead and did the surgery because the doctor insisted that the blood issue was not a concern at all. He kept saying "routine". So the surgery was done and dad brought her home the next day. That first night home, she woke drenched in blood--and with a gaping wound on one of her incisions. Her artery had not been tied off properly and the wound had not be closed properly. My dad was paralized with fear, because he'd been in WWII, and he said he thought she would die before they got her back to the hospital.

She was in intensive care at first because her blood level was only a four. The doctor still had to take her to surgery and correct his mistake. They told the family they didn't believe she'd make it. She was 74 at the time. But she came out of it nearly too weak to speak or move for the first week. For days she continued this way, until gradually they got her back up to a blood count of seven and then nine. Of course, being a faithful JW, she received no blood. She did mention blood substitutes, but she was non-specific. Come to find out, she was bleeding internally the entire time until the wound area finally broke open. The surgeon had not done the necessary tests to determine just how much these tumors were being fed by her blood supply. For a lady her age, and with the heart condition she has since been diagnosed with, it was truly a maricle that she made it. She will be 80 in July. Her blood count is still far too low for the heart surgery, so she understands now, her time left is limited.

My dad (not a JW, also would not accept blood when he was alive) wanted to sue the surgeon for malpractice; but my mother would have no part of it. She said whatever happened was Jehovah's Will and she accepted it all as such.

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit