Urgent response needed

by benext 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• benext
    benext

A relative has been admitted to the hospital due to their blood count going from 7-4. The first hospital wanted to transfuse but a transfer was arranged to another who works with the Society's hospital committee. They have instructed which doctor to request and the elders are standing guard. I'd like to find out how low can blood levels go and are there any other treatments outside of transfusion.

• Gadget
    Gadget

I can't help you with your question but I hope everything goes ok for your relative.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Well this would be a good question for nurse Scully or nurse Joyzabel........you might want to PM either one of them.

Hope things go well for your family.

Kate

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Rather than answer you from a medical point of view, allow me to answer you from a doctrinal/politcal point of view. Following is a Press Release disseminated by the UN European Commission of Human Rights, where the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society claims under oath that any Witness who accepts a blood transfusion will not face repercussions from the Society.

Here is the entire link that you may want to print out: http://www.pnc.com.au/~fichrist/echr1.html

Here is the pertinent excerpt. Please keep in mind that this information was provided under oath.

Press communiqué issued by the Secretary

to the European Commission of Human Rights

Application No. 28626/95

Khristiansko Sdruzhenie "Svideteli na Iehova"

(Christian Association Jehovah's Witnesses)

v.

Bulgaria

On 3 July 1997, the European Commission of Human Rights (Council of Europe) held a hearing on the admissibility and merits of the above application brought by Christian Association Jehovah's Witnesses against Bulgaria.

The case concerns the suspension of the applicant association's registration in 1994 and the ensuing measures against it. It raises issues under Articles 6, 9, 10, 11 and 14 of the Convention.

Following deliberations, the Commission declared the application admissible without prejudging the merits.

The applicant association complains under Articles 9, 10, 11 and 14 of the suspension of its registration and religious activities, and under Article 6 of the alleged lack of access to court. The applicant association also complains, invoking Articles 9 and 10 of the Convention, of a media campaign allegedly launched against it.

The applicant association contends that the suspension of its registration and activities constituted an interference with its rights under Articles 9, 10 and 11 of the Convention, and that this interference was unlawful, did not pursue a legitimate aim, and in any event was disproportionate to any legitimate aim.

Pursuant to an amendment of the law adopted in 1994, associations of religious nature had to obtain an authorisation by the Council of Ministers and renew their registration. The Council of Ministers refused the applicant association's request for an authorisation to re-register. The applicant association unsuccessfully appealed to the Supreme Court. Subsequently the authorities dispersed its meetings and arrested some of its members on several occasions, seised religious books and undertook other measures to suppress its activities.

The applicant association submits that the decision of the Council of Ministers of 28 June 1994 refusing the association's request for authorisation, was arbitrary and unlawful as it was taken secretly and did not give any reasons. This decision was then interpreted by the authorities as amounting to official prohibition to practise the Jehovah's Witnesses religion and as the ground for a brutal and persistent suppression of their activities through unlawful police actions and all possible measures. Furthermore, a media campaign was launched against Jehovah's Witnesses.

As regards the alleged involvement of children the applicant association submits that children cannot become members of the association but only participate, together with their parents, in the religious activities of the community. In respect of the refusal of blood transfusion, the applicant association submits that there are no religious sanctions for a Jehovah's Witness who chooses to accept blood transfusion and that, therefore, the fact that the religious doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses is against blood transfusion cannot amount to a threat to "public health".

FYI - the elders will probably tell you this is apostate information. It is not (well, perhaps in their eyes it is, but this is a matter of public record and is a factual recording of how the witnesses portray themselves to the world). Therefore, if your loved one needs blood - IMHO - I would let them have it. If you or your loved one faces repercussions, this information could be used against them in a court of law. (As I am not attorney, I can't tell you whether this information will win your case - please check with an attorney for advice). However, again IMHO, I can tell you that if doctors are telling you that the blood transfusion itself could potentially save your loved one's life, I would believe the doctors over the WT anyday.

Hope this helps.

growedup

P.S. Please keep us posted as to how things go.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Fluosol is one option....it replaces blood volume and carries oxygen to the body, giving the bone marrow time to replace the lost blood.

Frannie B

• benext
    benext

Thanks for all replies. I just spoke to someone who finished a visit. The person is being shown how to inject themselves with something to build the blood up. I don't know the name but it's to be done once a week. I was provided with the phone number but since I left the org. the person has pretty much shunned me although I'm not DF or DA'd while continuing to associate and welcome over other relatives who are DF'd. Our conversations have been brief and strained. I want to go visit after work but there may be certain people there who I have no interest in seeing.

• Special K
    Special K

Hi benext

I sent out a couple pm.. looking for more knowledgeable persons to respond to your post benext..

Hang in there.. It will depend on whether they are online any today.

sincerely

Special K

• Special K
    Special K

bump to top

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Benext,

I'm sorry to hear about your relative and the stress it puts on you.

First of all, we cannot make decisions for other adults. They have the right to decide what type of medical treatment they receive.

Unfortunately, this is a bad time to convince a relative that it is ok to take blood. About the only thing you can tell them is that it is no longer a disfellowshipping offense to take blood. They may announce you have DA'd yourself from the decision you make regarding blood, but it is a slippy slope where the blood issued is concerned currently with the JWs.

As far as how low can the red blood count of Hemoglobin go before there is damage to tissues of the body, especially the brain, there is no set answer or number to that question. There have been experiences of people who have low (2) hemoglobin counts that survive, but I notice there is no mention of quality of life or daily function after such an occurance.

What you describe as "injections" maybe a blood product that is approved by the WTBTs, erythropoeitin. It stimulates the production of red blood cells. But JW's cannot have another blood product, red blood cells, the oxygen carrying component in blood. Sad that it has come down to splitting hairs on what blood products are ok and what are not. Life is precious and to maintain it would seem most important.

Some hospital committees know that a cow's blood product, even though experiemental, has been approved by the WTBTs. Hemeopure. But it is not readily available.

About all you can do at this time is be supportive of whatever decision your relative has made regarding his/her life. This is a very painful time and so avoidable. All I hope is that you have love to show all, no matter how you are treated, no matter what decisions they make.

Please keep us informed.

Joy

edited to add: thank you iamallgrowedup for posting that document. Not many JWs know about it. But it was written so that JWs would not be viewed as a "cult" in Europe. Interesting that the R & F have no idea what it really means. *sheeesh*

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

PS to Frannie

flurosol is not used. It did not work out.

*shaking head* such a simple thing as giving a blood transfusion for blood loss and cannot be given to JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit