These Are the Best of Times (Or Are They)

by pettygrudger 17 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

I agree that corporate america is definately putting the screws to americans and that is hard to find these jobs that could carry a person for 20yrs and live comfortably . I guess we have some pros and cons on the subject but I still think we are better off than the days of the great deppression or the 2 world wars .

• Analysis
    Analysis

In the US even a poor child born today can hope to have a higher standard of living then the wealthy had even 200 years ago. They can expect to live longer, be better educated and have a higher standard of living then their Great Grand Parents had any chance of obtaining.

Does that mean everyone is better off. No! The difference between those who are successful and those who are not is getting larger with each generation. But, it is possible for someone from the lowest economic class in the US to obtain a rather high standard of living. It is also very possible for someone born to affluent parents to find life not as rewarding as their parents.

Yes, I know it takes (in most cases) both parents to work outside the home. But, I am certain that both of my Grandmothers worked a great deal harder and longer to keep food on the table. They kept the chickens, planted the garden and canned the food.

How many of us would really want to work in a 1950's automotive factory? How many want to be a Blue Collar worker? Granted we also do not want to be a greeter at WalMart either!

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I heard this show and I agree with the caller.

Devon

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I agree with analysis, Overall we (those of us in developed countries) are better off, live longer, healthier lives and have many opportunities before us. Those in less developed countries have seen their standard of living rise as well with greater (than previously) access to clean water and medicine. Not all things are rosey, but I hope the overall trend continues.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I also agreed with the caller Devon.

Yes, prior generations have all had to work hard - but the "work" that is performed today is (imho) taking away from our most precious asset - our children.

With both parents working outside of the home - very little time is being devoted to the kids - everyone is just too tired. T.V./video games etc. - they're both so necessary to keep the children occupied.

Also, the hard work that was performed was done by the enitre family - children right along side their parents. The U.S. in particular is raising (imho) a crop of spoiled, fat, undisciplined children that have no seeming sense of anything/anyone other than selves. I go to schools for my son and listen to what teachers today have to deal with in the classroom - it's appalling.

So yes, although medically we are doing better, I don't believe these are the best of times. Economically - maybe (?) there is better opportunity out there - but the jobs that are available seem to be percentage wise actually less than what prior generations earned - at least for raising a family and making ends meet.

• logansrun
    logansrun

In some ways the world is better off than it has ever been, in some ways it is worse now than ever. Actually, I think sometimes as ex-JWs we have an aversion to thinking the latter since the Society preaches how "bad things are" ad nauseum. Still -- in some ways they are correct.

In my humble, limited opinion I think the world is:

Better : The human life span has increased dramatically, even in under-developed countries, and will continue to do so due to the advances of science. I seriously believe my generation (I'm 27) will see people in our age group living beyond 100 with regularity. I can see the potential for humans to live beyond 150 years in fact.

Communication, scientific understanding of the universe, global recognition of human rights, increasing equality between the sexes and races...all areas in which we today are vastly better off than people in previous times.

However, things are also:

Worse : The very fact that humans have the ability to destroy all life as we know it is a staggering and woeful thought. I think the potential of a nuclear war -- probably between India and Pakistan -- is as great as it was during the Cold War. Not to mention the use of a nuclear device by terrorists or an accidental launching which could obliviate us all.

Besides a catestrophic nuclear exchange we also are, right now, going through a "slow death" in terms of destruction of the enviornment. This is a very serious problem and will most likely be the defining aspect of our 21st century should humanity live to the 22nd.

We still have rampent poverty in much of the world (the situation hasn't improved that much in the last 100 years) and people, especially in the western world, are feeling the pressures of stress, lack a sense of purpose generally and are experiencing increasing alienation and anomie.

These are serious problems, folks. I hope we don't let the fact that we were in an apocalyptic cult blind us to the fact that we still just might be living in apocalyptic times.

Bradley

**Nevertheless, I'm optimistic.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Oh, and economically:

Overall growth is unprecedented and people have more "things." But, income disparity is growing (even in the US) and people aren't any happier with the 200 or so cable channels they can watch or with their $5 espresso beverages.

I believe we need a fundamental shift in the way people approach life. Basically, unless we change actions and minds -- we're all screwed.

• jws
    jws

I'm sure many of these same things were said when machines were invented, when railroads let people and products be shipped across the continent rapidly. If you turn to any age, there are people who are afraid of change and look back to the "good old days" and bemoan how this or that is making people lazy or is going to be the ruin of us all. Every age seems to suffer many of the same problems. People just have selective memories.

I do remember that when I was young, gas prices were high. There were gas lines blocks long. My dad was layed off. I remember, as a kid, being very scared about what would happen to us. Us kids decided we would not watch TV or turn on the lights in the bedroom to save money. When I was young, we were still at war with Viet Nam. It was always on the news. The communist threat was constantly hanging over us. With that, I remember fearing that the Russians would launch nuclear missles that would destroy entire towns and millions of people at once. In my opinion, that's scarier than anything the terrorists have done so far. The JW paranoia didn't help those fears, but there were some pretty troubling things going on in the world back then.

I'd say we're better off now, except for all the mess that the Bush administration has done environmentally and in stirring up anti-American sentiments in world politics.

I'm sure this topic did leave Rush speechless. On the one hand, many conservatives are those who do look back at the supposed "good old days" and want to go back to them. Yet on the other hand, Rush's job is to pimp the conservative agenda. He can't say things are so bad right now with Republicans controlling Washington (unless he can spin it to blame Democrats). What a dilema. What was Rush's answer?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit