These Are the Best of Times (Or Are They)

by pettygrudger 17 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Just heard a very interesting discussion on the Rush Limbaugh show today - first time I think I've ever heard Rush become speechless from a caller. Anyways, the discussion was regarding whether or not the generation of today (30 somethings & younger) have it better or worse then generations past.

What do you think? Economically, socially, etc., are we better off now then other generations?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No question IMO -- better off and each generation is better off than previous

• JH
    JH

I prefered the 80's not only because I was younger, but because there was less stress and life seemed a little more enjoyable. Less laws, more freedom.

• heathen
    heathen

I'd have to say better off , mainly because of all the modern conveniences we can take advantage of . My God I mean now adays they have cell phones that can access the web for information and such .

• franklin J
    franklin J

I am not sure if I agree with that statement....

I am at the end of the Baby Boom generation and I think, the Baby Boomers, just by their shear numbers, seem to have all the marketing geared to our age groups . As the Baby Boomers age, the demand for what they will consume ( by way of goods and services) will alter to suit their needs.

for my kids sake, I hope I am wrong

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Financially, no I don't think we...people in general...are better off (I'm 40). Some individuals definitely are, but if you compare the average high-school graduate age 30 today, to the average high-school graduate aged 30 of some years ago; or the same with college grad, etc, I think we're worse off financially than the generation before us.

For instance, my dad and his brothers all had high school diplomas and worked as blue collar workers for places like GM, Quaker Oats, etc. They had good paying union jobs, benefits, vacation, good health insurance, and retirement (real retirement, paid for by the company or union, not "save it yourself" types of accounts), and most of them worked for the same companies for decades. They could afford much nicer homes than their parents' generation, a couple of late-model cars, yearly vacations, they have very comfortable retirements. Those type of jobs are very rare now, if you can find them at all.

I have friends who went to college and grad school in the 60's and 70's, and they all say they could work full-time at some average job in the summer, and that would pay all their tuition and expenses for the school year, as well as living expenses while they were working in the summer. Now all the students I know who are paying their own way through school work in the summer, have part-time jobs during the school year, and still have to take out student loans to have enough to pay tuition and living expenses. They are starting out in the hole financially.

Cost of living has gone up, real wages have gone down, benefits have gone down, companies have zero loyalty towards employees, and as a result employees have no loyalty towards companies.

In other ways I think we're better off, I'm glad I live now, but we're definitely worse off financially.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I was thinking the same thing.. economically things are not great. Sure we have modern conveniences but how many areas have people looking for employment. I know a lot of place where people have had to be willing to take paycuts to have a job or friends who have been looking for a job for some time. It is true some areas are worse than others but I do think there were times when economically, financially things were more secure.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Interesting bit of information I gleened - Our "fathers" in their prospective employment paid 20% or more LESS in taxes than bread earners today - so therefore a son who does the same thing as his father, although making more money generally brings home less. In order to compensate, more women have entered the workforce for the duel income just to afford the same things single bread earners were once able to afford.

If this is a trend of things to come, who will be the third "bread winner" in generations to come? The children?

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    If this is a trend of things to come, who will be the third "bread winner" in generations to come? The children?

It's already that way in many (most?) countries, and many companies take advantage of it. Corporations (corporate america is evil) keep enhancing their CEO and other top people's salaries at the expense of the average worker - sending jobs to places where they are willing to work for pennies a day and there are no regulations. It's just gonna get worse.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Socially I think we're better off. Women in the US for example have more rights (well, on paper if not in practice), people are more accepting of those who are a different race, religion or sexual preference (well, people in general, not everyone everywhere).

Despite the fact that I b*tch about the cost of going to school, with the web, electronic journals, computers, research and writing is a hundred times easier than it used to be.

Plus I got to "know" all of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit